Big Sur

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
You can get a lot of weed for not much money.
If you want to spend money though, you can be selective.
That was never a possibility, but it is now.
You've always been able to get a green pound for a good deal.
Only recently can you get a particularly blueish purple, but it has to have that gassy nose and just the right cure(example)

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’ve smoked dank weed that was grown in the swamps of Florida(early 90s). Guarded by gators.
Yeah Florida had its own kind bud scene in the 90s. Man remember even using that phrase to distinguish between dank and brick schwag? Now you would have to actually TRY to find old crap weed, at least here. Still prevalent in Central America and the islands ironically

Reactions: Chocki

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
no maybes about it. why do people even bother growing indoor in california
If you have a Nissan Leaf or other EV you get cut electricity rates from PG&E and double or treble the amount of sunlight your crops get and thus double-treble the output for a given square footage.

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
If you have a Nissan Leaf or other EV you get cut electricity rates from PG&E and double or treble the amount of sunlight your crops get and thus double-treble the output for a given square footage.
...of indoor space. certain the erbbs resident bean counters have shaken the life out of the roi calcs for indoor vs outdoor but who fn cares

simulating the outside on the inside in california to grow more of something thst there is no shortage of (or essential need for) is seriously retarded

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
...of indoor space. certain the erbbs resident bean counters have shaken the life out of the roi calcs for indoor vs outdoor but who fn cares

simulating the outside on the inside in california to grow more of something thst there is no shortage of (or essential need for) is seriously retarded
These people are not smart. What they know is weed, and that's what they grow. I'm just telling you what I've seen and heard. A couple of streets over from my last place the house had to be condemned because renters had pulled up all the baseboards and were growing in the dirt in the raised foundation. It was a small house. These people think they're all going to get rich in the green gold.

The smart ones are the ones who do the home invasions when cash and pot are both inside at the same time. That happened a street over also. Seems more lucrative. Do you want to be the guy digging or the one selling shovels?

Reactions: Havoc

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Do you want to be the guy digging or the one selling shovels?
This. I can only imagine how much the companies making the lights and other accessories have made. Or repackaging liquid fertilizers and pesticides in smaller bottle and marking them up 3-5X+.

15-20+ years ago the prices were so high that you could lose half your crop and do a halfarse job on the other half and still make a killing. Nowadays there is very little room for error, especially with indoor grows and the associated electricity costs.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Whatever was
This. I can only imagine how much the companies making the lights and other accessories have made. Or repackaging liquid fertilizers and pesticides in smaller bottle and marking them up 3-5X+.

15-20+ years ago the prices were so high that you could lose half your crop and do a halfarse job on the other half and still make a killing. Nowadays there is very little room for error, especially with indoor grows and the associated electricity costs.
Just around 20+ years ago my roommate/friend moved to Willits and grew in the garage. Ended up buying another house so his brother could do the same, so he did aight! Ahhh timing.

Reactions: grapedrink

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
At one time, in the 1980's, you could transport weed from Kona to Oahu in trash compactor bags in soft luggage and sell ounces in Waikiki for $800.00 or $150.00 to $200.00 a quarter. Or trade for Pepsi.

Same weed, same time period in Tahoe, trade Quaaludes( 100 per jar) for Kona "donkey dick" Fat, trimmed colas that would go back to Sac-o-tomatos or .... opened the back door to Charlie Daniels Band and Pablo Cruise at Kirkwood ... Hawaii basefted group, Seawind, that opened for George Benson ... in Sac. Rod Stewart at the HIC .... for tickets within the first 5 to 6 rows, stage front & back stage passes after, for beers & foolsiness.

Last edited:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I know a guy who was making a killing hauling away largish greenhouse farm operation equipment after the farm got raided by feds. Something like having the crew and means to haul it all away (greenhouse framing, fans, lighting etc) before the property was seized and then flipping it. He paid the farm pennies on the dollar for what they were going to lose because they couldn't do it themselves, then sell it for uber cheap to another operation but the margins were yuge. Like 50k+ per job to his own pocket for couple days work after paying his crew. He was a weed guy for a long time and well networked to get the 1st phone call whenever people got raided.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I knew a lot of guys in the old Central Coast days where their main hobby was to grow weed. Some guys sold some to friends but nobody was in it to make any money. But I knew several guys who made it their life's work to grow the most righteous bud imaginable. They knew all the different strains and seeds, they trimmed, they watered, they soil prepped for just the right pH and phosphorus content and the whole works. It was this whole little hippie subculture. One guy I knew was a chem major at Cal Poly and would make these oils from everyone's leftovers that when you smoked it would just send you to the moon.

This was about 40 years ago. Now people think they're so trendy vaping THC oils and I just laugh.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i don't think i'm trendy with the fancy oils, but they are a moonshot for sure
Good buddy of mine (some here have met him IRL, he lived in Leucadia for several years) has been a pothead his whole life, but hadn't really sampled any of the ultra potent oils put out by medmen or curaleaf through their medical shops. well, i gave him his own MedMen "Calm" pen, which is an Indica dominant hybrid oil, 90%... Anyway, he said he took 3 little puffs and was in a borderline panic attack for 45 minutes before finally coming down to just being really stoned. I done warned him that stuff aint like no other.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
At one time, in the 1980's, you could transport weed from Kona to Oahu in trash compactor bags in soft luggage and sell ounces in Waikiki for $800.00 or $150.00 to $200.00 a quarter. Or trade for Pepsi.

Same weed, same time period in Tahoe, trade Quaaludes( 100 per jar) for Kona "donkey dick" Fat, trimmed colas that would go back to Sac-o-tomatos or .... opened the back door to Charlie Daniels Band and Pablo Cruise at Kirkwood ... Hawaii basefted group, Seawind, that opened for George Benson ... in Sac. Rod Stewart at the HIC .... for tickets within the first 5 to 6 rows, stage front & back stage passes after, for beers & foolsiness.
First time caller, long time listener.

Growing up, there talk of a type of cannabis that bled red when it was cut , got you that very wakeful sort of high, and it came from Hawaii.

As with many good drug fables, some it might be true.

Was there a type of cannabis that grew in Hawaii that had red sap? Or a type that grew elsewhere with a red sap?

I'll take my answer off the air, and thank-you for your time.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
The latest news now is that Plaskett Creek road, Willow Creek/Los Burros rd, South coast Ridge Rd and Cone Peak rd are all closed to dispersed camping. Too many problems happening up in the hills. Supposedly to reopen at the end of Oct. but according to Big Sur Kate gates are scheduled to be installed.

End of an era for being able to do a stealth camp without having to be in a campground.

)

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
The latest news now is that Plaskett Creek road, Willow Creek/Los Burros rd, South coast Ridge Rd and Cone Peak rd are all closed to dispersed camping. Too many problems happening up in the hills. Supposedly to reopen at the end of Oct. but according to Big Sur Kate gates are scheduled to be installed.

End of an era for being able to do a stealth camp without having to be in a campground.

)
It's been a long time coming. Big Sur is out of control all spring, summer, and fall with way more people than it can handle. Every year it gets worse.

There have already been major changes to other areas of Sur over the last decade. I rarely drive past Willow anymore.

Took a friend in the Spring. There wasn't even parking at Partington Cove. We had to wait for someone to leave. Got to the bottom and it was a shitshow of no less than 30 people at the end of the trail. Groups of people climbing all over the rocks and digging out steps in the dirt with their feet as that part of the trail continues to deteriorate.

So glad I got Big Sur in the 80s and 90s. Would have liked to experience it in the 70s.