“Buy a house at the beach!” They said. “Build equity! Score a ton of surf!”

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
Selling that Peloton :jamon:should put a good dent in your deductible but I digress:

That little bitch spun up from a rank and file, "Oh no big deal" TS to a fairly strong CAT 1 right off my doorstep and had me and the untested brand new home I just built honestly a bit sketched. I hate hurricanes at night and even more so ones that don't do what they're supposed to.

Damn you again, Cantore Curse.
Damn you.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Subway’d!:foreheadslap:

Weird storm, nailing Canada.

It gets down as low as 80 but still humid AF.

It’s a tough call on backup electricity for where you’re at but if I was a man of your means I’d look into a decent sized propane fueled generator for your pad.

Looks like mbp got a taste of subwaying too. I sense some chainsaw noise and exhaust in your future.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I live in hurricane alley, less than half a mile from the sand. I’m always scared that my roof will blow away someday. I do score a lot of surf though
me too - about 5 blocks from the beach - that was a strong storm and a wake-up call to the people who walk around going "oh, it's only going to be a Cat 1". stronger than Dorian, imho. condolences to Mr. Subway. we got our roof replaced two years ago, courtesy of Florence, so while we woke up to this mess, it's still really nice to find that none of the loose roofing shingles scattered about are mine.

fyi, for anyone in NC, i believe there is still a program available to provide up to $5K fortify your roof at no cost to you. check it here: https://fortifiedhome.org/nciua/ was not able to to take advantage of it 2 years ago coz it was too crazy after Florence to jump thru the hoops necessary, but i know someone else who did and presumably received the benefits thereof.

Attachments

Last edited:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Do you get to keep the prime wood (burls/base etc) if it's a hardwood tree or something for a project?
I can. Today no way. The goal is clear as much of the critical areas and dangerous stuff as possible and come back another time for final clean ups and removals. Gotta work quick and very on point as it’s some of the most dangerous conditions. No time or room for projects.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boneroni

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Sorry about your roof subway. PPK dropping some knowlwedge on how to temporarily dry in the place.

If you do get insurance money, consider replacing roof with something stronger- preferbly hip style roof with metal.

No one does this in the states, but the way we build in the Caribbean is the roof rafters are thick 3x material and are cast into the bond beam with straps or vertical u-shaped rebar tied into the wall rebar grid. Then the choice is either plywood with elastomeric coating or metal, each have their own merits. Nobody uses shingles here because they are terrible for strong winds.

Reactions: daave

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Sorry to hear about the storm damage Subway.

Anyone ever tried these products?

We have an older horse trailer that was getting rusted out around roof vents. I don't see it often as its stored off-site.
So, when I noticed actual holes forming in a few small spots, I decided to use that Flex Shot stuff with some metal screen (like for screen doors), and patched like I was using fiber glass on surfboard patch. It actually worked pretty good.

Reactions: PJ

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Subway’d!:foreheadslap:

Weird storm, nailing Canada.

It gets down as low as 80 but still humid AF.

It’s a tough call on backup electricity for where you’re at but if I was a man of your means I’d look into a decent sized propane fueled generator for your pad.

Looks like mbp got a taste of subwaying too. I sense some chainsaw noise and exhaust in your future.
Only problem with propane generators is if the shite really hits the fan the gas gets turned off, lived without heat for at least a month after Sandy.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Is there a local home depot? Those places are great for fixing roofs, they have everything you need.
Usually lined up outside, as early as 7am.

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Only problem with propane generators is if the shite really hits the fan the gas gets turned off, lived without heat for at least a month after Sandy.
We use 40kg tanks for cooking gas, and would probably get a stationary tank, so no problem there. What generator were you using? Other than the gas being shut off how did it work out for you?

One thing about living here, we never go without heat. :drowning:

• Haha
Reactions: keenfish

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
We use 40kg tanks for cooking gas, and would probably get a stationary tank, so no problem there. What generator were you using? Other than the gas being shut off how did it work out for you?

One thing about living here, we never go without heat. :drowning:
It was gas heat no genset. It was an interesting experience no heat hot water till December, had electric, lot of sh!t work to be done. Surf was completely uncrowded and best sandbars ever. Edit. meant natural gas not propane.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
So the power went out last night, blown transformer nearby, just got it back a couple hours ago. The roofer I called during the storm showed up first thing as promised. Insurance notified and everything documented. Roofer got one of his teams to tarp the exposed section and remove the damage. he Thinks insurance will call for new roof without a doubt, and he said I was the first storm call in, so I go first, and he said he’s now booked for the rest of the year, just from the calls he got in the last 12 hours. I may not know fukk all about handymanning but dammit if I can’t Angies list and outsource like a sumbitch. Maybe have him drop a little sun deck up there with a spiral staircase from the yoga studio. Replace the bathroom skylight lol.. slow grilled some kick ass ribs, and got a contract. Just another day at the beach. Oh and we got the puppy a haircut

Last edited: