Finding a new home for my Surf Mag collection?

surf cat

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jan 14, 2002
Ahoy !
Writing from Northern California. .I have a ton of Surfer, Surfing, Wrong boarder magazines and more I would like to find a new home for them. Costs to much too mail. any interest? What can you suggest ?

Yes, I'm NOT giving Any thing Griffin.

Daily

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
Ahoy !
Writing from Northern California. .I have a ton of Surfer, Surfing, Wrong boarder magazines and more I would like to find a new home for them. Costs to much too mail. any interest? What can you suggest ?

Daily
i got rid of all mine on ebay. for all the ones in the 70’s, early 80’s, (some 90’s too) i listed each year as a lot, that way it’s easy to pack up groups of six and mail them out (cheaply) media rate.

don’t give them away, if you sell ‘em at least they’re going to someone who really appreciates getting them. better to pass stuff on to a fellow obsessive who won’t give them a quick look and then toss.

i started buying surfer in 1969 and bought all the back issues i could around then (from surfer). had every issue from ‘63 or ‘64 on...

the 60’s ones i sold one by one, single issue
at a time. people were stoked to get ‘em!

i saved a few too. remember the issues that had the rough textured paper mixed in with
the glossy? plus i saved all the issues with dora’s insane interviews and schemes.

how about when he claimed to be hangin’
out with all the fugitive nazis in argentina?
:jamon::jamon::jamon::jamon:
and they were cultivating hybrid plants — poppies & coca! those were the days!!!

good luck!

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
i got rid of all mine on ebay. for all the ones in the 70’s, early 80’s, (some 90’s too) i listed each year as a lot, that way it’s easy to pack up groups of six and mail them out (cheaply) media rate.

don’t give them away, if you sell ‘em at least they’re going to someone who really appreciates getting them. better to pass stuff on to a fellow obsessive who won’t give them a quick look and then toss.

i started buying surfer in 1969 and bought all the back issues i could around then (from surfer). had every issue from ‘63 or ‘64 on...

the 60’s ones i sold one by one, single issue
at a time. people were stoked to get ‘em!

i saved a few too. remember the issues that had the rough textured paper mixed in with
the glossy? plus i saved all the issues with dora’s insane interviews and schemes.

how about when he claimed to be hangin’
out with all the fugitive nazis in argentina?
:jamon::jamon::jamon::jamon:
and they were cultivating hybrid plants — poppies & coca! those were the days!!!

good luck!

oh yeah, stecyk’s “curse of the chumash”

and dale herd’s “superslicksurfcat...” should
be required reading for a few of the yappy erbb dunces!

:waving:

Reactions: keenfish

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
oh yeah, stecyk’s “curse of the chumash”

and dale herd’s “superslicksurfcat...” should
be required reading for a few of the yappy erbb dunces!

You're not Richard Safady are you?

That "Curse of the Chumash" edition is indeed a classic and likely worth a lot now, by Surfer Mag collectible standards.

Wishing I kept all my 70's and early 80's issues now.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I actually dumped a bunch of later 80's and 90's issues (Surfing too) at the local library.

Didn't have the heart to put 'em in the trash.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Ahoy !

Daily
Surf Cat, If you are giving them away, I'd take them, but I'm in Ventura. So if you are heading this way hit me up!
Not heading that way anytime soon myself, but if I do I'll check in and see if you got rid of them! GOLD!!
Hope you're well!

surf cat

Jan 14, 2002
My bad~ I forgot Surfer has a for sale forum

I would give them to you but the weight would lift the front tires of the ground

• Haha
Reactions: JBerry

surf cat

Jan 14, 2002
I forgot you can't delete a bad post

I can believe how many times I think and say _ I miss Bassy

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Sold my '70's and 80's collection to Steve Wilkings...

Anyone have an idea what a complete Surfer's Journal collection might be worth...???... Asking for a friend...
I think I saw on e-bay a complete collection of TSJ that was going for around $2,000, that was 10 years ago
I have VOL1 #1 all the way through today, 90% in A1 condition, I'm curious too.
I unloaded all my my Suring and Surfers 80s-90s-00s to one of our own a while back, his kids were stoked.

Reactions: PLJ

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
I got rid of all my Surfer mags(every issue from about 1984 on) a couple years ago. The only issue I kept is Volume #1, Issue #1.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I have stacks of thrashed odd issues I can't throw away but nothing prior to '98 or so.
I would like to read some of the issues you guys mentioned.
I would especially like to read the strange Dora stories.
I remember in the letters section, the ongoing guess between what's his name and Novak or something, I never did learn what that was actually about or I just didn't care, but in some way I think that back and forth prepared me for this place. What was that guy's name?! I remember d it just the other day.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
Ahoy !
Daily
You, yep you, are an oool' geezer!
Your water time ~ your life~line,
is almost up.

Get some friendz, some grub, booze, fatty's too, head to your local 1 night,
let 'em, all your surf magz, burn, baby, burn, in a sacrificial honorin' to Thee Surf Godz!

Just like i did, many yearz ago, at The Venice Break~Water,
sacrificin' my 1st surfboard, a 6'3" WindnSea single fin, narrow swallow tail, no wing, clear, with 2 glue cutz,
which my Mom had bought for $20.00 + 4 quaaludez in '76...

Burn, Baby, Burn!
AND help Bring It On, ol' timer,
some more F**Kin' Swell!!!

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
I got rid of all my Surfer mags(every issue from about 1984 on) a couple years ago. The only issue I kept is Volume #1, Issue #1.
Found one at the flea market over a decade ago. The cover fell off but for a quarter not a bad deal.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I tried selling mine awhile back, from 84'-early 2000's on ebay, no takers.

Put them on Craigslist and they found the right home.

A Father brought his autistic son to take a look at the stash. The sons eyes just lite up, sorta like the world righted itself. The Father said his son gazing at surfing pictures helped him tremendously. I helped them load the boxes and refused any comp.

Maybe we are all a bit spectrum :)

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Sold my '70's and 80's collection to Steve Wilkings...

Anyone have an idea what a complete Surfer's Journal collection might be worth...???... Asking for a friend...
What I found ironic about Surfer's Journal, was that many stories were recycled old Surfer Mag articles, with added pics and some updated info.

Reactions: PLJ