*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
so why are surf schools allowed To run unimpeded in orange county with literally 50 to 100 people packed in a tight area in the water and on land no masks no social distancing. how the fk is that an essential business??
We need to mine the CA-AZ border. And what are those sidewinder and AMRAAM missiles doing sitting idle'?

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and Subway

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
What's your point?
The headline is dishonest in attempt to invoke fear.

Then it draws a faulty comparison (using the word "ominous" I might add) equivocating a sleepaway camp where children were not wearing masks to school reopenings where mask wearing would very likely be a requirement in addition to other precautions.

If only they would have taken proper precautions everything would have been safe and great at the camp?
I dunno.

What I do know is sleepaway camp with no masks is not comparable to a school reopening with COVID 19 prevention measures in place.

No precautions would stop kids, doing kid things at camp, from spreading this virus.
Probably not.

The mistake was opening the camp, not failing to enforce Covid protocols. It would have happened regardless, so who cares about the headline.
That is not the gist of the headline and byline you see above.

The gist is the camp took all the precautions a school would take and all the kids still got sick.

That's intentionally dishonest. Their goal is to invoke fear. It's unethical.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
The headline is dishonest in attempt to invoke fear.

Then it draws a faulty comparison (using the word "ominous" I might add) equivocating a sleepaway camp where children were not wearing masks to school reopenings where mask wearing would very likely be a requirement in addition to other precautions.

I dunno.

What I do know is sleepaway camp with no masks is not comparable to a school reopening with COVID 19 prevention measures in place.

Probably not.

That is not the gist of the headline and byline you see above.

The gist is the camp took all the precautions a school would take and all the kids still got sick.

That's intentionally dishonest. Their goal is to invoke fear. It's unethical.
The gist is that they took every precaution except for the most important one. Otherwise, I can't figure out what your point is.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
I agree. Amazon is an awful monopoly. Practically, how do we do this? First WalMart and now Amazon were putting mom and pop stores out of business for the last 2-3 decades. Now the mom and pop stores aren't even allowed to open and operate.

The Feds could start breaking up monopolies again. That would help. But local stores have to be open for us to shop there.
Elizabeth Warren territory

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The gist is that they took every precaution except for the most important one. Otherwise, I can't figure out what your point is.
Uh, no.

That's not the gist of the headline and byline.

The gist of the headline is that they did pretty much everything they could to keep kids safe but kids got sick en masse. That's false. The camp actually shunned masks.

They were more like the family that made sure their car was tuned up before a roadtrip but didn't make their kids wear seatbelts.

Then

The byline works of the (false) premise of the headline and says that it's an ominous (fear!!!) sign for the reopening of schools.

The truth is it's only an ominous sign if schools take kids back and don't require masks and other safety measures.

Let's read the headline and byline again:

The headline should say:

A sleepaway camp in Georgia didn't require masks. Over 75% of kids caught COVID-19.
The outbreak underscores the need for masks and thoughtful planning for schools pushing to reopen.

The camp shunned mask requirements and a bunch of kids got sick. They basically said to hell with precautions. That's what happened. The headline implies the opposite.

And my point? The news org is fearmongering. Here's what they were trying to say with their headline and byline:
"The schools can take every precaution in the book but your kid will still get COVID 19! Be afraid!"

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Uh, no.

The gist of the headline is that they did pretty much everything they could to keep kids safe but kids got sick en masse. That's false. The camp actually shunned masks.

They were more like the family that made sure their car was tuned up before a roadtrip but didn't make their kids wear seatbelts.

Then

The byline works of the (false) premise of the headline and says that it's an ominous (fear!!!) sign for the reopening of schools.

The truth is it's only an ominous sign if schools take kids back and don't require masks and other safety measures.

The headline should say:

A sleepaway camp in Georgia didn't require masks. Over 75% of kids caught COVID-19.
The outbreak underscores the need for masks and thoughtful planning for schools pushing to reopen.

The camp shunned mask requirements and a bunch of kids got sick. They basically said to hell with precautions. That's what happened. The headline implies the opposite.

And my point? The news org is fearmongering. Here's what they were trying to say with their headline and byline:
"The schools can take every precaution in the book but your kid will still get COVID 19! Be afraid!"

Come on...you think the difference in kids getting covid, and not getting covid, is whether or not schools have a mask rule?
Have you met children, any of them?

The news is fear mongering, mostly because that's the main reason news exists, but drawing the line between fear mongering and fact sharing at "the kids just need X rule in place"? Fantasy. Tell a child to keep their hands off their face...then watch for thirty seconds as they wipe their nose into both of their own eyeballs, then touch the first thing they can reach for any reason.

If schools open (they should) it will have to be with the understanding that the children will aquire and transmit the virus. A lot.
Will they die, or cause such a spread through the vulnerable populations as to overwhelm our hospital systems capacity to respond? Doubt it.

People gotta get over this n % new cases = x new deaths reasoning, it is not accurate or scientific. Especially with no plan or even idea when the virus could be treatable or a vaccine could be found.
We live with this right now. The children are fine. The number of new cases doesn't matter, neither does the fact that a person can find a story about a healthy person who suffered long term effects. There are general rules to this virus that are obvious at nine months in. We know who is in danger, we know who isn't (as a rule, there are always exceptions, but we accept that).

How many of the kids at that camp died?
....Time to go back to life as normal for damn near everyone.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Brother in law just tested positive yesterday (Saturday). Said he felt achy on Friday and took a nap in the afternoon, which he never does so he got tested Friday. He is in his late 40's, bigger dude but no previous health issues. Said he felt fine yesterday (Saturday) and feels like "a million bucks" today (Sunday). Unfortunately I babysat his kids on Friday and hung out with him when he picked them up. But we were outdoors, 6+ feet apart and masks on. I feel fine.

More disappointed that I won't see/hug my nephews for another two weeks now.

• Dislike
Reactions: JBerry

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
If schools open (they should) it will have to be with the understanding that the children will aquire and transmit the virus. A lot.
Will they die, or cause such a spread through the vulnerable populations as to overwhelm our hospital systems capacity to respond? Doubt it.

People gotta get over this n % new cases = x new deaths reasoning, it is not accurate or scientific. Especially with no plan or even idea when the virus could be treatable or a vaccine could be found.
We live with this right now. The children are fine. The number of new cases doesn't matter, neither does the fact that a person can find a story about a healthy person who suffered long term effects. There are general rules to this virus that are obvious at nine months in. We know who is in danger, we know who isn't (as a rule, there are always exceptions, but we accept that).

How many of the kids at that camp died?
....Time to go back to life as normal for damn near everyone.
the appropriate question is how many other people did those kids infect? once again, for the obtuse: it's not about kids dying or the death rate in general. it's about kids infecting adults, (at least in my house) and the possibly long-term consequences thereof. my 11 y/o should not be back in school until this is under control. we're not worried about him dying, we're worried about what he might bring home. the number of new cases matters because it's an an indicator of whether the spread has been controlled and decisions can be made based on that. right now, wife's brother-in-law is in an ICU in Rio with Covid....mid-50's guy, i think his general health was ok. his wife brought it home from work...she got mildly ill, he got critically ill - go figure. so we actually don't know who is in danger and who isn't and we don't want to find out the hard way.

and it is precisely because Covid is not well understood that it is to be avoided.

Reactions: Driftcoast

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
the appropriate question is how many other people did those kids infect? once again, for the obtuse: it's not about kids dying or the death rate in general. it's about kids infecting adults, (at least in my house) and the possibly long-term consequences thereof. my 11 y/o should not be back in school until this is under control. we're not worried about him dying, we're worried about what he might bring home. the number of new cases matters because it's an an indicator of whether the spread has been controlled and decisions can be made based on that. right now, wife's brother-in-law is in an ICU in Rio with Covid....mid-50's guy, i think his general health was ok. his wife brought it home from work...she got mildly ill, he got critically ill - go figure. so we actually don't know who is in danger and who isn't and we don't want to find out the hard way.

and it is precisely because Covid is not well understood that it is to be avoided.
I'm persuaded.

Let's keep everyone home and everything will be OK.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Come on...you think the difference in kids getting covid, and not getting covid, is whether or not schools have a mask rule?
Have you met children, any of them?
Yes.

Substitute taught on and off for some years.

It's amazing how well elementary school children can be trained for routine.

Ask them to deviate from routine and they think you're fvckin' nuts. It can actually become difficult to get them to break the routine they're used to.

Middle and high school is where things would get tricky.

But regardless - plenty of schools around the planet have reopened without massive outbreaks.

Reactions: sussle

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017

You do you, but that isn't reasonable to me. Different risk-reward assessment. School is important.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Brother in law just tested positive yesterday (Saturday). Said he felt achy on Friday and took a nap in the afternoon, which he never does so he got tested Friday. He is in his late 40's, bigger dude but no previous health issues. Said he felt fine yesterday (Saturday) and feels like "a million bucks" today (Sunday). Unfortunately I babysat his kids on Friday and hung out with him when he picked them up. But we were outdoors, 6+ feet apart and masks on. I feel fine.

More disappointed that I won't see/hug my nephews for another two weeks now.
This makes me think I’m not crazy to think I’ve had it. Felt flu like. Head aches. Woke up drenched in sweat. Heart was out of control for a week or so - >120bpm out of nowhere which caused panic attacks which made it worse. Loss of taste for a day.

I don’t see a reason to get tested. I would not be able to work until I got the results and they aren’t clear at all how that’s handled re pay. I also think it’s a good place to catch it.

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
You do you, but that isn't reasonable to me. Different risk-reward assessment. School is important.
I completely agree school is important. But I am confident that my kid can weather another semester at home without seriously impacting his chances of becoming a successfult adult, so it's an easy decision. Already have plans to organize pods of his local peers in group athletic/acedemic/cultural activities outside of the online content.

Bottom line is that if you don't control the spread of the virus, for the foreseeable future, nothing else you do will matter. Everything else is contingent upon that.

Last edited:
Reactions: kidfury and Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I completely agree school is important. But I am confident that my kid can weather another semester at home without seriously impacting his chances of becoming a successfult adult, so it's an easy decision.
I get what you're saying and it's not your kid I'm worried about.

It's the loads of at risk kids without parents like you who have fallen and will continue to fall behind.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Uh, no.

Then

The headline should say:

But, but, you said masks won't prevent transmission of the virus unless professionally fitted and tested.

Reactions: Driftcoast