Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Columnar Apple...third summer in the yard (about 4 yrs old total), and about 4 ft tall. Should get around 8 ft. Doesn't grow branches in traditional sense, just little fruiting spurs off the trunk:
1595455734747.png

Looking down on the month old planter box of various greens. Eggshells, coffee grounds, fruit peels and garden soil with a bit of fish and kelp fertilizer...the latter because this is pretty densely planted and quick growing plants are hungry:
1595455942514.png

Limes....way, way better than store bought. I thank the neighbors on other side of fence for watering their lawn:
1595456038995.png

Tomatoes in pots wrapped to stave off effects of fog and wind, next to pots of herbs, and behind, more tomatoes...ones in the back are shielded from the wind, and they're cherry tomatoes, so they ripen easier. Fog came a little later than usual this summer for us, but the fog slow down is happening, so, hopefully in September, we get to feast:
1595456168896.png

The Voodoo Lilly, aka "Fake miniature corpse flower" in full vegetative growth. Got some babies that I might be able to sell on Craigslist next spring:
1595456333889.png

Not nearly a garden as magnificent as what others have, but you make the best of what you got.

Last edited:

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
Here's the latest on our 8' by 18' plot in 2020. Slugs and snails were brutal this year. Anything grown from seed was mowed down from those little bastards and had to be re planted 2 or 3 times. Spring was gloomier than normal and lack of sunshine stunted growth until recently. We're back on track at the moment, will check in again once this sh!t actually produces in a month or so

box.jpg

Left box has green beans, cucumbers and parsley. Zucchini and crook neck squash barely holding on in the back. Right side has some healthy red and green leaf lettuce. Second harvest of potatoes ready to dig out and leftover carrots that have gone to seed after 2 years. Going full on Gregor Mendel and seeing what those carrot seeds will produce when we re plant for fall.

greenhouse.jpg
Grabbed a simple greenhouse plan online with the sole purpose of growing tomatoes and peppers in our cool coastal climate. It's been a good investment so far https://www.buildeazy.com/greenhouse/

gutters.jpg

Easy greenhouse add on or side of your house add on are gutter herbs. Basil is going good so far but the cilantro bolted early. I don't mind though cuz letting them go to seed means free coriander seeds.

Whats the frequency Afoaf.jpg

First tomato of the year. What's the frequency, Afoaf?

serranos.jpghabaneros.jpg

Serranos and Habaneros doing something. 8b gardening zone hot sauce in full effect

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
L to R bottom to top
red bell peppers, jalapeños, carrots, basil, zucchini, cucumber
6 different tomato plants and in back behind those a watermelon.
everything’s more or less gone way better than could hoped. Way too many tomatoes, heaps of jalapeños and bell peppers, zucchini going really well now and plenty basil.
the peach and nectarine trees are done but did well and were tasty too!
5DAE3FB3-1F8C-4641-907C-5B53C1E4853E.jpeg
820A2128-6AA4-49E0-A5CF-8A44157BCE32.jpeg

Reactions: Mr Doof

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
how do I get a sweet resin tint on my tomatoes?
Berkeley Tie Dye .... green costs extra

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Berkeley Tie Dye .... green costs extra

When you eat your Berkeley tomatoes, can you taste a brick flying at a chain fast food restaurant?

man...might be like marriage...but fuggggggg

love me some vegetles...but all that growing and dealing with sh!t? no grcias
My basil is doing great and all I've done is water it, and transplant it once into a larger pot. Find something that's not that tricky, like the honey badger strain that DGAF and grow that.

Last edited:

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Just got a couple of vases with some very basic herbs to try it out. I'm a total newbie. Indoors in my balcony, not much sun (just a tad bit in the morning but almost null this time of year, more sun during our summer).

just some chive, parsley and rosemary for now. Plan to have a few other different types once I get the hang of this. Parsley seems to be hard to maintain, it nearly died one day then I revived it in the sun putting it out the window.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
just finished a tomato sauce from a handful of my romas. sweet jeebus it's good.

Anyone know much about Poblanos? I love them but this is my first time growing. They're about the size of a jalapeno right now but we leave on Sunday until next Friday. I worry that if I pick them sunday it's too early but if I wait until we get back it might be too late?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
neighbor is feeding them walnuts in shell

squirrel dig holes in my pots and put walnut in the soil; come back later to get the
walnut once the shell is softened.

I shot a squirrel in the butt with a one-pump bb gun shot the other day

fk that squirrel in his stupid face
If you want to LARP as a real American, shoot a couple in the face, toss the fur, dome, guts, front legs, and marinate them for a day or three and then sear those bad beasts and then foil wrap finish in oven.

Walnut-fed free range squirrel is high-grade. You should start a fckn walnut tree nursery. Free seed, free meat, run that sh!t!

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
just finished a tomato sauce from a handful of my romas. sweet jeebus it's good.

Anyone know much about Poblanos? I love them but this is my first time growing. They're about the size of a jalapeno right now but we leave on Sunday until next Friday. I worry that if I pick them sunday it's too early but if I wait until we get back it might be too late?
I think they will simply turn red if they sit on the plant for longer? Either way they'll be edible.