Surf Equipment Failure Thread

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Board socks.

They just suck. Hard to get on. End up full of wax and sand. Not much protection.

Day bags way more functional. On sale they aren't much more expensive.
board socks have their place, IMO. mostly when shoving a 3rd board in a 2 board bag, stuff like that.

never liked the smell of a new board sock. putrid. needs some seawater and wax mixed in to dull out the factory smell.

Reactions: MathDebater

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
This is getting pretty nitpicky - but I don’t understand why so many trunks have a back Velcro pocket. If you use the pocket for anything, kinda sucks for surfing? The side pocket with the zippers makes a lot more sense to me.

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008
How about boardshorts with the string that goes all the way around the waste?
Not as comfortable -- string doesn't dry as quick. I see no benefit. Are they somehow cheaper to make that way?

Mar 21, 2010
delmarva, md
How about boardshorts with the string that goes all the way around the waste?
Not as comfortable -- string doesn't dry as quick. I see no benefit. Are they somehow cheaper to make that way?
I disagree. When losing weight on surf trip or in general, you can tighten them a lot more. I’m not sure why more Boardshorts dont have them.

Reactions: urchined

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
Velcro on the fly of my rip curl trunks.

Took me a while to get what everyone was snickering about.

they should have those battery heaters in the crotch, no more shrinkage

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
Believe or not , I did one sesh a couple weeks ago (water reached 21 but has since dropped to 17)

The aforementioned incident happened in Oz

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
This is getting pretty nitpicky - but I don’t understand why so many trunks have a back Velcro pocket. If you use the pocket for anything, kinda sucks for surfing? The side pocket with the zippers makes a lot more sense to me.
Nothing like sitting on your key in the back pocket. So dumb.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Went through a ton of trunks ordered online only to find the stupid side pocket. You’d think the O’Neil Jordy shorts would have a proper key pocket... nope!

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I have an older pair of Phatom's that I love. They have the vertical zippered key pocket on the hip, the key always lays really nice. I also really like the string they use, they are the only shorts I haven't had to double knot.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I always thought the Patagooch trunks were too stiff (and cut for guys w/o my chicken legs) except for the recent stretchier ones called "Light & Variable" or something like that. The sturdy/coarse fabric feels like burlap after a couple hours rubbing on skin in the water. I don't understand why all trunks aren't made from the 4-way stretch nylon. My local shops have had small runs of shop-branded solid-color stretchy ones for the last couple years and they are just about the best ones for actually surfing in. Imagine that, designed by guys like Mitch & Bird who surf in them!

Last edited:
Reactions: MathDebater

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
all patagonia trunks go on sale at the end of summer at 50% off, so wait to grab the good ones if you can.

for sure worth it to try on a few pairs. The cut varies drastically. Some fit baggy while some fit much closer to the leg.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah, the more recent stretchier ones (maybe called Hydropeak now?) are much slimmer. I got some at last year end season sale. Pretty nice, although now I notice they have the key loop in the zippered back pocket... doh!

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I have thunder thighs and actually like the tight cut for surfing, it keeps them from moving around. And yeah, I have the newer ones (hydropeak). They do have the dumb pocket location but somehow I never notice sitting on the key.

Reactions: oeste858

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Patagonia's naming conventions are so insane that it's difficult to find the stretchy no seam ones which are head and shoulders above the rest. This year they are the Stretch Hydroflow not be confused with the Hydro Stretch Planing or the Stretch Hydropeak. But they're $120 so basically only worthwhile on said end of summer sale.

That said I find them a little thin for actually surfing in, prefer them for long beach days when you're bodysurfing and in and out of the water a lot. Rather some Hurley Phantoms for actually surfing.

Reactions: sdsrfr