“I just aced the cognitive tests!! ACED them!!”

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I've never had DUI stop, but my lawyer told me always refuse to do the stupid human tricks. Tell them you want a blood test. If they ask any questions, just say "lawyer." By the time they get you in a position to draw blood it may take an hour a more. Time to sober up. You're going to jail no matter what, so give them as little as possible to make their case.
Yep, had a few bad experiences driving to work in the wee hrs of the morning when I used to fish.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I've never had DUI stop, but my lawyer told me always refuse to do the stupid human tricks. Tell them you want a blood test. If they ask any questions, just say "lawyer." By the time they get you in a position to draw blood it may take an hour a more. Time to sober up. You're going to jail no matter what, so give them as little as possible to make their case.
wait, is this what you should do if you were drinking before driving, or for any dwi stop?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Labor Day about 12 years ago, I ran over (or actually drove under) 2 high school aged kids
was 100% sober and well rested
but had an impact on me ever since.
if I’d had even one beer, I’d be second guessing my reflexes, and blaming myself, irregardless of the legal blood alcohol level. I never want that on my conscience.

The 2 kids were fine. One broken arm, one bloody elbow that came through my windshield
still, what a fvcked up experience

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I always passed them really drunk.

Adrenaline sobers you up a lot.

It was a different time though
I’m on a job painting a house today, it’s on a busy coastal rd, and heard a big smack-crack.....a guy rear-ended two early 20-somethings our for a drive in there dad‘s Mercedes.

Police questioned the guy, gave a field sobriety test, whole 9 yards. He failed pretty badly. Had every excuse in the book, first said he had nothing to drink, then said he had one drink at lunch, then changed again to “maybe I had a few cocktails with lunch”. He was arrested and I guess on his way to a breathalyzer at the station.

Anyway, that field sobriety test seems difficult as fvck. I don’t even drink and don’t know if I could pass it.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Labor Day about 12 years ago, I ran over (or actually drove under) 2 high school aged kids
if I’d had even one beer, I’d be second guessing my reflexes, and blaming myself, irregardless of the legal blood alcohol level. I never want that on my conscience.

The 2 kids were fine. One broken arm, one bloody elbow that came through my windshield
but you're the world's best driver now!

Reactions: Random Guy

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County

Similar experience. Dinner with girlfriends family. I was the only one who didn't drink. On the way home I got in a head on collision. About 1 am, I can only think the other guy fell asleep. I can only imagine the what ifs if I had said yes to a glass of wine.