Surf Equipment Failure Thread

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
First session on my brand new Coil w/ FCS2 fin boxes. Waves were really fun. Side fin ejects mid session and I have to hike like a mile back to truck to change fins.

I also had bad luck with stay covered leashes.

Most wetsuits don't last me a year. That external seam sealant starts to crack in like 6 months.

Reactions: Havoc

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Getting out of my Outerknown Apex trunks (retail $145 but got them for free as prototypes) and the eyelets rip open, making the boardshorts unable to close. I fixed them with some iron on denim patches, but it was the 2nd surf. I'm not complaining, I got them for free, but seems like a major design error on the eyelets. Maybe they've made them metal now.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I had one staycovered leash that really impressed me, so I stocked up on them. Every single other leash has sucked for anything beyond groveling. When I still tried to use them for non-micro waves my leash would regularly blow off my ankles during duck dives. What a wa$te.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Vissla longarm smooth skin wetsuit began cracking after one summer season...

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Kommunity deck pad were worthless. Got two on sale both ripped after the inset logo thing came off. Lasted a couple weeks. Glad they aren’t available anymore.

May 10, 2018
Had a PEAK 4/3 Extra Dry steamer have the stitching come undone under the armpit and near my wrist as well as the chest smoothie split about 1cm after its first session last week! Have sent it back and asked for a refund.

ckupczynski1

OTF status
Oct 14, 2009
Got a Buell suit few years back and tried on the suit at home and zipper on chest broke off. Shipped back got new suit and the suit had the worst flushing I ever had. Like every duck dive and no the suit was not too big. Sent back and never got money back.

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Got the new Dakine KAIMANA PRO COMP SURF LEASH and the freaking thing comes off my ankle every time. Pisses me off. $50.00 leash is worthless.

• Dislike
Reactions: potato-nator

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
The OG FCS leashes. Swivel assembly ripped off the ankle strap on two of them. Trash.

Creatures of Leisure Leash - had this giant grab loop on the ankle strap, instead of a little tab like the rest of the universe. That tab would catch water like a sail and unvelcro itself. Stupid design.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
xcel drylock zipper stuck today. all liquid external tape is cracked and peeling after 1 season. junk.

broke a stay covered leash twice in one session. first break on a 2 ft wave.
Regarding the wetsuit seams. There are two usual culprits with that. UV exposure and age. If it was not UV exposure and its only a one year old suit it probably hung on the rack at the shop where you bought it for a season or two.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Had a PEAK 4/3 Extra Dry steamer have the stitching come undone under the armpit and near my wrist as well as the chest smoothie split about 1cm after its first session last week! Have sent it back and asked for a refund.
Peak wetsuits still exist?

I had one in 1986 that has white neoprene for the underarm gussets (which extended all the way to the knee). The rubber just simply...dissolved during the first surf (at Jalama in January). Took it back to Surf & Wear and got it replaced. The new suit had neon fucking green gussets. Let’s put it this way, neon wetsuits in the 80s in SB/Ventura area weren’t exactly looked at with kindness.

I lied and told people I was sponsored and they made me wear it.

Luckily that suit only lasted a couple months.

Reactions: MathDebater