The Corona Cuisine Thread

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Guess what's on plate 1. Extra bonus if you get 1 of three correct on the right corner of the plate. 100% Santa Barbara goods (except the rice, cane sugar and tea in the other pics)

seafood.jpg

and this one
seafood2.jpg

this one should be easy
seafood3.jpg

Fermenting dill pickles, kimchi, water kefir and booch (normally in a dark cabinet or the fridge doing their thing)

ferment.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
1-octopi, baby lobsters, snails
2-ronki, salmon
3-halibut? sea bass?

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
1-octopi, baby lobsters, snails
2-ronki, salmon
3-halibut? sea bass?
1. I think this would be the boner platter in some cultures -> octopus (bottom), spot prawn heads/tails (top), 1 sea cucumber, 1 pinhole limpet, 1 Kellet's whelk (right)
2. salmon, cured mackerel (saba)
3. black cod 3 day marinade (miso, sake, sake kasu, mirin)

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Pizza on the BBQ
Steak, fresh garden bell peppers, fresh garden jalapeños, mushrooms, onion, mozzarella, red sauce, dough from TJs. Ranch on da side
View attachment 94358
I too have been honing my skills doing BBQ pizza recently with good results. Tonight did shredded chicken, red onions, and shrooms in a BBQ sauce with mozz and quatro formaggio and assorted spices. Pigged out. Never going back to an oven!

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I too have been honing my skills doing BBQ pizza recently with good results. Tonight did shredded chicken, red onions, and shrooms in a BBQ sauce with mozz and quatro formaggio and assorted spices. Pigged out. Never going back to an oven!
Hell Yeah! Never going back to an oven either! been Q'in pizzas for the last 4-5 yrs and its so much more amazing!
Show us yer, pizzas?!! lol

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
The toasted bread with tomatoes and other garden fixin's, has me making more bread today.

A 7 grain recipe with some anise and caraway seeds to make Sweetie-pie's Swedish/Norwegian DNA fall more in love with me.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
I didn't take a photo and given what y'all are posting, I'll try to up my game there

not sure what it is called, pan seared squid? I'd never had squid other than as fried calamari and got turned onto a recipe from a fish guru. Simple prep but takes some time so have appropriate beverages on hand.

get a pound or two of whole squid, which is remarkably cheap (like $10/lb), either fresh if you can find it or frozen. I got some from Monterey Bay, they are around 10 inches long. No really, I swear.

Thaw them out then clean them, which takes some time. Grab them by the tentacles/head and gently pull the head and entrails out of the body. Cut off the tentacles below the eyes and remove the beak. Grab the tail and gently squeeze everything out of the mantle/body. Now gently take out the spine. Leave the skin on as it turns purple-ish when you cook them

lightly coat them in olive oil, salt, pepper

make a spicy mayo sauce out of: japanese mayo, aji mirin, sriracha, salt, sugar, furikake seaweed, lime - go heavier than you think on the sriracha

get a cast iron pan with your preferred oil of some sort extremely hot

pop the squid in there, it will cook quickly, like 2-4 minutes, keep turning them every 30 seconds or so.

remove, do what you like with the spicy mayo, enjoy

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I didn't take a photo and given what y'all are posting, I'll try to up my game there

not sure what it is called, pan seared squid? I'd never had squid other than as fried calamari and got turned onto a recipe from a fish guru. Simple prep but takes some time so have appropriate beverages on hand.

get a pound or two of whole squid, which is remarkably cheap (like $10/lb), either fresh if you can find it or frozen. I got some from Monterey Bay, they are around 10 inches long. No really, I swear.

Thaw them out then clean them, which takes some time. Grab them by the tentacles/head and gently pull the head and entrails out of the body. Cut off the tentacles below the eyes and remove the beak. Grab the tail and gently squeeze everything out of the mantle/body. Now gently take out the spine. Leave the skin on as it turns purple-ish when you cook them

lightly coat them in olive oil, salt, pepper

make a spicy mayo sauce out of: japanese mayo, aji mirin, sriracha, salt, sugar, furikake seaweed, lime - go heavier than you think on the sriracha

get a cast iron pan with your preferred oil of some sort extremely hot

pop the squid in there, it will cook quickly, like 2-4 minutes, keep turning them every 30 seconds or so.

remove, do what you like with the spicy mayo, enjoy

This sounds similar to how I had squid a few times and it blew my mind.

I don't care for fried calamari. I'd honestly rather eat onion rings in that batter.
But when I was in Anglet, a friend took us to the same restaurant a few years in a row and they did something really similar. It wasn't dressed with your mayo, but sautéed in a really savory sauce with some sort of peppers and onion type deal. I've never seen it anywhere else but it was the best squid I've ever had.

Reactions: the janitor