Berkeley city council wants to prohibit police from making traffic stops.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
What about the cops letting a hundred speeders through residential neighborhoods go in lieu of making sure they get the poor Mexican with semi-illegally tinted windows just trying to get to work (and actual work at that)?

The only way society changes is if cops start harassing the Karens and Brodies in the rich neighborhoods the exact same way they do with blacks and mexicans in the hood. Just like the War on Drugs - change only happens once the insulated part of society freaks out that it could actually happen to them.

The question "What are you doing in this neighborhood?" and variations of it should be illegal and automatically considered discrimination.

Reactions: Kento

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
The job is to go catch crooks when you're able to. And trust me when I say how gratifying it was to put an asshole into cuffs and walk them into receiving at the County Jail.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Most offenders are young and male. Who would waste their time on a 50-yr old black church lady or the latino who's driving a worktruck filled with lawnmowers and shovels? Even if they did drive like sht (which they don't) my odds of finding anything other than the tail light are slim and none.

You don't fish in an empty aquarium. You go to when and where the fish hang out, and you use little stuff to land the big stuff.

The problem is when you're white nobody fishes. In the last 10yr I've been pulled over a handful of times. I've never been asked where I was headed, why I was there, if I was drinking, if I had any illegal drugs or weapons in the car (almost always did!), etc. I was usually given the line of "Do you know why I pulled you over?" "You failed to come to a complete stop at the stop sign" or "You were driving 75 in a 55" and if I'm lucky they let me go or reduced the infraction and sent me on my way. Never searched me. Never called for backup. Never asked me to exit the car and typically I was on my way in less than 10minutes. Thats called white privilege.

Reactions: Kento

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
You don't fish in an empty aquarium. You go to when and where the fish hang out, and you use little stuff to land the big stuff. The young white guy driving the lifted 4x4 crewcab is a much higher percentage target than the soccer mom driving the Explorer. Sorry/Not Sorry. .
That explains soccer moms in Explorers driving like assholes while on the phone, no turn signals, no shits given.

Thanks for your service.

Reactions: $kully

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
The problem is when you're white nobody fishes. In the last 10yr I've been pulled over a handful of times. I've never been asked where I was headed, why I was there, if I was drinking, if I had any illegal drugs or weapons in the car (almost always did!), etc.
It often depends on where you were and what time of day. Getting stopped where you don't live at 2:00 in the afternoon is going to generate a different level of inquiry than getting stopped at 2:00 in the morning. And I can assure you that if you were dumb enough to leave your evidence where the cop could see it they most definitely would have followed up on it.

Which just goes to show how dumb a crook has to be to actually get caught at a traffic stop.

Is that how it's worded at the academy? So simplistic.
Actually, it is worded that way and it basically is that simple.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
It often depends on where you were and what time of day. Getting stopped where you don't live at 2:00 in the afternoon is going to generate a different level of inquiry than getting stopped at 2:00 in the morning.
"Level of inquiry" should be same for the same traffic offense, no matter where/when you're stopped.

Why is that any of your business?

This is exactly why people are protesting police harassment

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
That explains soccer moms in Explorers driving like assholes while on the phone, no turn signals, no shits given.

Thanks for your service.
They only have to be smart enough to refrain from doing that in front of a cop who's doing traffic. Which in most areas isn't all of them.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Well I'm glad you admitted that traffic stops really aren't about traffic. Which is pretty much the crux of the argument.
They're ALL about traffic unless/until they become about something else.

Do you realize that cops often cannot even see "who" is diving a vehicle until they walk up to the window?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I'm not going to argue the point that poor people present a much richer target environment for weapons and warrants and contraband than rich people. But the reason for that is the same reason the cops are getting way more calls for service involving most other types of crime.

I don't particularly like rich people anyway, so if you want the cops to adopt a zero tolerance program on them that's fine by me. Put the quota out on soccer moms and middle aged asian guys driving minivans if that's what works for you. Your ROI isn't going to resemble that of the people getting stopped in the hood, but that's life.
Your ROI?

If cops actually even haphazardly enforced traffic laws (i.e., parking in front of fire hydrants, in handicapped spots, illegal lane changes, gridlock, and other generally sh*tty behavior) around schools within even just semi-affluent areas, the national debt would be paid off in less than 3 months.

I didn't say zero tolerance - I said treat everyone exactly the same. But that wouldn't fly, would it?

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
They're ALL about traffic unless/until they become about something else.

Do you realize that cops often cannot even see "who" is diving a vehicle until they walk up to the window?
Which also means you can't see if a crime is being committed so why stop them?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Most offenders are young and male. Who would waste their time on a 50-yr old black church lady or the latino who's driving a worktruck filled with lawnmowers and shovels? Even if they did drive like sht (which they don't) my odds of finding anything other than the tail light are slim and none.

You don't fish in an empty aquarium. You go to when and where the fish hang out, and you use little stuff to land the big stuff. The young white guy driving the lifted 4x4 crewcab is a much higher percentage target than the soccer mom driving the Explorer. Sorry/Not Sorry. .
If you consider prescription drugs, you'd have a high probability of gathering a sh*tload of DUIs with the suburban soccer moms.

Reactions: $kully

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
"Level of inquiry" should be same for the same traffic offense, no matter where/when you're stopped.

If everyone acted the same you might have a point. But they don't, so your point doesn't stand up to even casual consideration.

One of the main reasons for getting into discussions with drivers, particularly at night, is because impaired and guilty drivers sometimes give themselves away. Do they know where they are, do they know what time it is, do they smell of alcohol, is their speech slurred. Etc...

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Which also means you can't see if a crime is being committed so why stop them?
Traffic offense is an offense and it fully justifies the stop all by itself.

Surely even you could acknowledge that at the very least there's also some utility in it when the other drivers passing by see a car being stopped.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Traffic offense is an offense and it fully justifies the stop all by itself.

Surely even you could acknowledge that at the very least there's also some utility in it when the other drivers passing by see a car being stopped.

So which is it? Are you stopping people to keep the roads safe or to find crime?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
This is what I was referring to earlier.

And it's pretty damn common since apparently that kind of police of work is standard procedure. And I would bet good money that procedure is coming from a lot higher than the patrol level. Just like I would also bet if cops used that tactics against affluent white people, those tactics would end immediately. They do it because they know they can get away with it and THAT is the very definition of systemic racism.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006

100% of the times this white boy has been stopped by a cop they have looked in my back seat, asked me questions, took my license back to their car, etc. I always kiss ass to the cop. A few times I have gotten off with a warning, other times I have gotten a ticket.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
100% of the times this white boy has been stopped by a cop they have looked in my back seat, asked me questions, took my license back to their car, etc. I always kiss ass to the cop. A few times I have gotten off with a warning, other times I have gotten a ticket.
Yes, and making sure you mute the NWA "F*ck the Police" blaring from your stereo is also a good idea.

I laughed once when a cop pulled me over for speeding, used an off-ramp off the freeway. Was legit, no complaint and I was courteous to a fault but it was funny because he told me to make an illegal U-turn to get back on the freeway. Admiral Ackbar was in my head on that one so I had to ensure he wouldn't pull me over for that - he laughed and said, no, you're fine, just make sure no other cars coming.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Exactly what I'm talking about.

Harassment.