Grom surf contracts - DONE

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
With Italo, Medina and JJF on tour there is no point in trying to get your kid to be a pro surfer.
-And there is no money in it anymore.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
daughter was into the contest thing for a
bit

i found myself in full Chandler mode - surfing has never been competitive for me so wasnt a fan of seeing her nervous before surfing - she lost in a final and she came in crying and was upset

pulled the plug on it then

surfing is the greatest hobby ever - if it makes you cry and upset you are doing it wrong

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
And here I thought concert ticket prices were out of sync with the CPI. That’s obscene.
Not trying to be Debbie Downer but it's just outta sight. I've made a lot of money with Vanguard Index funds too. :drowning:

2 years at JC, then transfer. That's the ticket. The upside is that you will save many tens of thousands of dollars. The downside (for both you AND your kid) is that they will be living at home for 2 more years.

Mine was even longer. I majored is surfing with multiple minors in girls, weed, and beer.
Somehow I got an EE degree, I think they were glad to get rid of me.
seems like it's a good idea to get some trade certs at the same time.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
They all need 5+ hours of homework so they have no time to surf even after school.
The amount of busywork homework in the public school system is a joke. I have complained so much to no avail. I don't get why they have my kid for seven hours a day then my kid needs five more hours that night on his own to get his work done.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
The amount of busywork homework in the public school system is a joke. I have complained so much to no avail. I don't get why they have my kid for seven hours a day then my kid needs five more hours that night on his own to get his work done.
I used to get my homework done (either proactively or panicked) during other classes where I could kind of mail it in. That or on the bus.

But yes, there were times it was brutal:

5:45 - 7:45: Swim Practice
8 - 3:15: School
3:30 - 5:30 Swim Practice
Home at 6 - dinner.
Homework/Studying 7 - 11(?)
Repeat

Even without swimming it was brutal. And I still got in the water every weekend - at least swimming got me in great ship for maxed-out HBTS. A lot on my plate. And then don't forget community service reqs for school along with so much other sh*t.

And then (especially in 10th grade) gigantic peer pressure to play water polo. Exacted on both mother and son. I like to snowboard and I like to surf. No time for year round (Xmas, spring, and summer break) polo. And for what? My chances of making the Special Olympics in any event (is surfing now on the table?) would have been substantially higher than the regular Olympics. I resisted. That earlier commentary on this thread or another about regrets? Yeah, I actually negative regrets about skipping out on polo. Even though I took sh*t as the only non-polo player on the swim team, it was worth it. I look at it this way: I got barreled more than everyone on the polo team put together times 10. :shaka:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I don’t ever recall there being that much homework in high school.

Maybe it’s me.

Had math homework but that was it.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i remember way too much homework in the 80s
stupidly, i did it all