Grom surf contracts - DONE

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
since we're on the subject, what are other options other than the 529?

cash in the safe?
wealthy donor?
scholarships, there are lots of them out there for varying amounts and obscure demographics, so ask the high school college counselor for the most comprehensive list they can generate. Then fill all of them out, submit and hope for the best. It'll likely be a lot of cut/paste tedium, but if "they" are giving it away...

my daughter is doing the jc for transfer requirements then finish at either Cal State or UC.

Protip - because the 4 year colleges (at least out West) are going to be mostly online but with apparently similar tuition, junior colleges have lots more kids registering for the fall. If you haven't already gotten your kids registered and into fall classes you need to jump on it now.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
If you're only paying $100/mo for kid's sports, you're killing it... Or only having them play AYSO soccer once/week.
Haha for real. Think about those parent dropping so much money for travel teams. Imagine they used that money to front load a 529 - they'd have their scholarship they justify spending so much money on the travel team.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Protip - because the 4 year colleges (at least out West) are going to be mostly online but with apparently similar tuition, junior colleges have lots more kids registering for the fall. If you haven't already gotten your kids registered and into fall classes you need to jump on it now.
I was thinking about this. Can JC's handle the shift that coming their way?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Going to in state schools or looking for schools that allow for in state tuition if you’re a resident of another state. The western undergraduate exchange is one of them.

Unless you’re kid is going to a top tier school there is zero reason to pay 50k a year for them to go to a random state school.

Reactions: the janitor

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
The surf equipment/contest/travel expense for one grom in my house for 2019 was pretty big even with some generous sponsors. Going to guess I spent $7-10k out of pocket without even leaving the East Coast. Covid eliminated the majority of that expense for 2020. Contest entry fees, membership fees and travel costs to contests currently sits at $0.00 for 2020.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Talking about obscure scholarships, I had a student who was #2 in the US for fencing for his age. He was scouted by the Harvard and Stanford coaches. Only needed b average fir Harvard and c average for Stanford. Went to Stanford. Same w his younger sister.

Just read today that Stanford is cutting 11 sports, including fencing, rowing , and men's volleyball.

Out of all the activities, sailing has been the cheapest (about $500/semester). Entry fees for comps are around $15.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Why wouldn’t you just setup your 529 Fund in a vanguard index fund?

That way no taxes if you use for educational expenses

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
The surf equipment/contest/travel expense for one grom in my house for 2019 was pretty big even with some generous sponsors. Going to guess I spent $7-10k out of pocket without even leaving the East Coast. Covid eliminated the majority of that expense for 2020. Contest entry fees, membership fees and travel costs to contests currently sits at $0.00 for 2020.

7-10 K?? wow, that's a lot of money, if you don't mind my asking was it mostly travel and hotels? I could see how 5 days in obx could get pretty expensive pretty quick. How did it divide up?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Good luck matching the slope with an index fund:
1594309963633.png

Talking about obscure scholarships, I had a student who was #2 in the US for fencing for his age. He was scouted by the Harvard and Stanford coaches. Only needed b average fir Harvard and c average for Stanford. Went to Stanford. Same w his younger sister.

Just read today that Stanford is cutting 11 sports, including fencing, rowing , and men's volleyball.

Out of all the activities, sailing has been the cheapest (about $500/semester). Entry fees for comps are around $15.
Are these the fees at the local yacht club? I built a 12' dinghy but it's taking up half my garage and rather than pay to store it elsewhere, I might be better-off just joining a yacht club and sailing their Lasers or whatever. You're not even allowed to put your boat in a lot of the local freshwater lakes around here because of some invasive mollusk.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
View attachment 94177

Are these the fees at the local yacht club? I built a 12' dinghy but it's taking up half my garage and rather than pay to store it elsewhere, I might be better-off just joining a yacht club and sailing their Lasers or whatever. You're not even allowed to put your boat in a lot of the local freshwater lakes around here because of some invasive mollusk.
These are fees for my grom for junior sailing programs. The regatta fees are usually around $15. To be a member at a yacht club is $$$. Not that I'd ever want to be associated w/ those. Not my ilk.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
I was thinking about this. Can JC's handle the shift that coming their way?
Just helped an incoming freshman register last night and our local doesn't appear to be increasing class sizes so there were a lot of the basic classes with sizeable wait lists. It looked like they might be adding classes though because I ran into a bunch of "TBA"s for class schedules.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
on a basic level who - on earth - would think they could win a heat
against JJF in 8ft pipe?

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
22 years? my kids will go to college at 18 :ROFLMAO:
200 a month adds up quickly. Add the 2% cash back on your CC. Can you pay some major expenses with the card? Some people can pay their mortgage with a card. Health insurance, cars, etc. Every time I spent a grand 20.00 in the fund. 100.00 puts 2.00 bucks in -believe me it adds up. Then add the gains if you invest it. Then tell your kid they are going to a JC for two years. Or, if they get some help via a scholarship, you're still good.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
These are fees for my grom for junior sailing programs. The regatta fees are usually around $15. To be a member at a yacht club is $$$. Not that I'd ever want to be associated w/ those. Not my ilk.
View attachment 94177
And here I thought concert ticket prices were out of sync with the CPI. That’s obscene.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

Am I the only one, especially given the Loughlin/Singer escapades, that sees most of these sports are a backdoor for rich but astoundingly mediocre students to get into an elite college?

Reactions: ghostshaper