So, I bought a Thai board...

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Yeah, I was pretty stoked, especially after getting lit-up on the prior two waves. I gave the lifeguard a solid salute.

The walk out of Blacks, especially the first eighth of it is pretty brutal after a two hour surf. Getting that really good last wave made it not so bad.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Haha took me 1.75 years. It's truly better as a thruster. It goes more vertical, turns are more critical, speed is about the same, the only down sides are big roundhouses have to be shorter, smaller radius (but probably looks better) and backside turns don't have that slide/drift (but again, probably looks better).

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
My wife and I took the opportunity last weekend to get out of town while our 13 year old daughter went to Palm Springs with her BF and her family. We scored ridiculously low rates at Estancia Resort & Spa which is a five minute walk to the paved trail head at Blacks. The Torrey Pines Gliderport trailhead is a 8 minute walk.

I brought the Fling and at the last minute, changed from my KA larges to AM Aircores before throwing it in the car. There was a little combo swell and some really fun head high+ peaks Friday evening with just a sea breeze. Saturday still had some size, but NW wind was on it, still fun though. We stayed a third night due to all the craziness in LA we were reading about, so I ended up getting out four times at Blacks. The wind was on it every session other than Friday evening, but it was pretty clean on the face with some fun barrels.

I really preferred the slightly more raked AM's to the KA's. I had more drive and felt like it was the perfect combination of hold through turns and release in the lip. In retrospect, I probably would have preferred my Fever or NB2 for the wave size. I thought my wife and I would maybe do a La Jolla Shores day, so I wasn't expecting to hit Blacks, but she was pool bound the entire trip and it was just easier to run out of the hotel with my board rather than getting in the car to hit the reefs. I'm purposely a little over-volumed with the Fling, as I bought it (used) for under waist high waves, but was surprised how well it performed with some size and push. There was the small issue with getting the rail to sink/bite off the bottom without it pushing back more than I like, but I was able to go further out onto the shoulder and redirect with more speed than I'm used to when coming around to rebound of the lip.

My best wave was Sunday morning. I had four good waves early in the session, some mediocre ones and two shockers where I airdropped due to fairly strong NW wind that was blowing into the lefts and the explosion where the lip was hitting the flat-water got under my outside rail and flung me on my Fling a couple feet up in the air. After those embarrassments, I was going in on whatever wave would at least let me get a pump or two down the line.

A decent chest high wave came through just off the edge of the rapidly increasing rip and I got two fin free snaps, a really extended roundhouse with a decent tag on the oncoming section and when I came back around the wave was growing and hollowing-out. I got a relatively long barrel with just a slight shampoo at the end and bellied in. I looked up and there was a lifeguard under an Easy-Up next to his truck. He gave me a thumbs-up, held up nine fingers, then waved his arms as if to say "no". He then tilted his head, put his index finger to his temple for a second and held up his hands giving me a 10. I was buzzing the whole walk back to the hotel.
I've heard about that gay lifeguard...great pick up line he has!
:eek::love:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
hey racer what thruster set you running? AM2s?

gonna give truster a shot as soon as conditions allow.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
FCS2: AM Large fronts and a small reactor rear.

That'd be AM2 in futures but I don't know what a small reactor rear in futures is? WCT?

Reactions: Aruka

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Racer - have you tried the full AM set? I usually like a smaller center but on the fling the normal set feels great.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
FCS2: AM Large fronts and a small reactor rear.

That'd be AM2 in futures but I don't know what a small reactor rear in futures is? WCT?
Yeah I think it would be. I have a few small centers I can try (f4, etc) but I'll probably just start with the full AM2 set.

surfride1977

OTF status
Nov 20, 2005
I decided to do an experiment and give my 5'10 Fling another shot as a thruster. I absolutely love the board as a quad with the little futures knubster added. Tried the large channel islands template from Shaper's fins in core-lite construction. Unreal! It's like the board just surfs itself. I'm not a great surfer by any stretch, but this board makes feel feel like I'm ripping. Too much fun! Now I'm curious to try a slightly smaller trailing fin after reading all these posts. My only problem now is trying to decide which fin setup to go with on a given day..

Apr 29, 2013
Oregon
COVID board arrived today! My new SuperFlex Fling. So looking forward to getting it in the water. It's got some pretty aggressive lines compared to my other grovel boards (Bottom Feeder and LazyToy). The single to double is deeper than I was expecting and the hard edge on the tail starts more than a fin length above the upper fin boxes. Mine is a boat for most of you, 5'10 at 36.6 liters, but I'm a big kid 190 lbs and surf in 5mm/hood.

One small niggle, it arrived with a little damage. A quick email to Jason and the Super crew with some photos and I had a refund in my Paypal in under an hour. Things can go wrong, it's all in how it's handle and they were on it.

I can't believe a board with a tail this wide works better as a thruster, but who am I to argue with all the experience in this thread?

Attachments

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I decided to do an experiment and give my 5'10 Fling another shot as a thruster. I absolutely love the board as a quad with the little futures knubster added. Tried the large channel islands template from Shaper's fins in core-lite construction. Unreal! It's like the board just surfs itself. I'm not a great surfer by any stretch, but this board makes feel feel like I'm ripping. Too much fun! Now I'm curious to try a slightly smaller trailing fin after reading all these posts. My only problem now is trying to decide which fin setup to go with on a given day..
Took me 18 months to get to the thruster as the quad was so good and wouldn't you know - thruster is better. It just is. I don't know why. It shouldn't be.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
One small niggle, it arrived with a little damage. A quick email to Jason and the Super crew with some photos and I had a refund in my Paypal in under an hour. Things can go wrong, it's all in how it's handle and they were on it.
Awesome to hear.

Waiting for my final invoice from Jason.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
COVID board arrived today! My new SuperFlex Fling. So looking forward to getting it in the water. It's got some pretty aggressive lines compared to my other grovel boards (Bottom Feeder and LazyToy). The single to double is deeper than I was expecting and the hard edge on the tail starts more than a fin length above the upper fin boxes. Mine is a boat for most of you, 5'10 at 36.6 liters, but I'm a big kid 190 lbs and surf in 5mm/hood.

I can't believe a board with a tail this wide works better as a thruster, but who am I to argue with all the experience in this thread?
mrcrash how long did it take? My buddy ordered his 4 weeks ago