Grom surf contracts - DONE

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Maybe all these north shore surf parents will give it a rest. I have never pushed my kid in to surfing, and he has a habit of grabbing whatever surf craft suits his fancy.
Well said.

I have a little one and have never forced him to surf. I don't care if he wants to surf. He can make his own decisions. If he wants to draw in the sand and play on a blow up inner tube (he's still really young) then he is free to do so. I always shake my head when I go to the beach and I see some Dad with a brand new $500+ grom board trying to push surfing on a 6 year old who doesn't have any interest. One guy I know pretty much forces his 7 year old to paddle out with him and pushes surfing on him non stop. Let the kids be kids and do all that you can to make sure they get through college and become productive members of society.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Coaching high school sports for about 15 years gave me an all too indepth look at parents and their antics. Several times, I had to actually call a parent conference to gently explain that you can't: yell in the stands, talk negatively about players on the opposite team, please don't swear/cuss, and do not yell at referee. I coached at a private school, so the parent entitlement/live vicariously through their kid was in FULL effect. And this was for water polo, where really there is tiny chance of playing professionally. Swim parents who had this going on were some of the WORST!
There is literally no money in men's aquatics. Title IX has even decimated most of the scholarships for men. There were guys on our college waterpolo team who were also on the Olympic team and still didn't have full rides.

"Range" by David Epstein explains why you can't take a kid and train him to be an elite athlete in a particular sport from a young age. I remember talking to a guy who had his kids in twice a day swim practices at the local club. He wasn't tall nor was his wife so none of his kids are going to make it in the elite level of swimming setting aside their body segment lengths which also have to be right. He was also telling me that a lot of high school coaches don't make club athletes practice with their teams: the athletes just show up for the meets. What message does this send to the non-club swimmers?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
There's a group of former pros my age who all got rep jobs or team manager jobs. Some of them even made it to the CT. They happen to be the nicest of guys, never arrogant or snobby and the industry loved them. They were lucky. I'm talking about like 5 guys. Majority of former Hawaii pros in my age group didn't fare so well.

There was one aspiring pro, I won't say his name, but he was really good. He did one year on the QS and realized it's fucked. He started and owns a super successful retail store for women in Japan with his wife, nothing to do with surfing. Funny story, I saw him last Summer in the parking lot at a popular spot in a $1,000 all black high end outfit. Paddled out on a yellowed Tokoro and destroyed 4 waves then went in.

Last edited:

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
There's a group of former pros my age who all got rep jobs or team manager jobs. Some of them even made it to the CT. They happen to be the nicest of guys, never arrogant or snobby and the industry loved them. They were lucky. I'm talking about like 5 guys. Majority of former Hawaii pros in my age group didn't fare so well.

There was one aspiring pro, I won't say his name, but he was really good. He did one year on the QS and realized it's fucked. He started and owns a super successful retail store for women in Japan with his wife, nothing to do with surfing. Funny story, I saw him last Summer in the parking lot at a popular spot in a $1,000 all black high end outfit. Paddled out on a yellowed Tokoro and destroyed 4 waves then went in.
I honestly think the town guys fare way better than the country or outer island guys. More exposure to more people and opportunities and to a wider world of possible life choices.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I honestly think the town guys fare way better than the country or outer island guys. More exposure to more people and opportunities and to a wider world of possible life choices.
The biggest problem that I've noticed is people who grow up on the North Shore seem to have a hard time understanding that there is life outside of surfing.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Same goes for football in Hawaii.

A lot of the guys who I knew in high school rarely did exceptional in college and none went to the NFL.

And my school was the powerhouse in Hawaii. I think Tyson Alualu and Marcus Mariotta were the only ones up until Tua Tagovailoa.

I knew some parents who held their kids back a year so they could play one more year of high school sports. Absolutely crazy.

I saw so many guys growing up thinking they were going to be pro and none of them ever made it further then winning surf into summer a few times and getting some sponsors.

In fact the one dude who was at the top when we were growing up and winning all the contests just surfs for fun and never cared about it. He did well for himself.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

two letter last name?

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
does a super shredder grom sell $300k a year worth of merchandise?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
does a super shredder grom sell $300k a year worth of merchandise?

Good question.

TBH I'm always surprised how many surfboards a shaper can sell a year and how many bars of wax can be sold globally. So apply that to some types of merchandise and it's possible.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
It's impossible to be involved in surfing in any meaningful way and not notice that one is surrounded by cautionary tales . . .

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Who sponsors Alana?
Nah, Japanese last name. I doubt many people will ever remember him, he came up the same time as John John, Marzo, Zeke, Keanu Asing, etc. He was like one tiny notch below them.
I was a generation or 2 off.