XTR

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Summer sale is on for stock boards
First time since I've been paying attention that I've seen them do stock boards only. Maybe too many people on here pointing out you could get a brand new custom for less than the shaper's price if the sale was on :p .

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
First time since I've been paying attention that I've seen them do stock boards only. Maybe too many people on here pointing out you could get a brand new custom for less than the shaper's price if the sale was on :p .
If there is a flaw in the system, surfers will figure it out, ha. I'm curious how Proctor will end up placing his price point when he gets setup with XTR.

• Haha
Reactions: bigglesworth

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I've heard. LOL. Still not for me. I grew up around clear boards only. Feel like you have to be able to rip so hard to call attention to yourself like that. The blue boards in my avatar pic are about as crazy as I go

Last edited:

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
If there is a flaw in the system, surfers will figure it out, ha. I'm curious how Proctor will end up placing his price point when he gets setup with XTR.
I don't really consider this a flaw, Javi and the shapers he works with run fairly different businesses. Javi is going to be more willing to offer a discount to get new people on XTR boards, whereas Pyzel, Mayhem etc have no incentive to do this. I think XTR offers a great product at a fair price at full retail and I'm happy to pay it, but the occasional $100 off is/was a nice bonus. I would venture to guess their margins are crazy tight with that discount on.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah, even here in SD where they are based, majority of surfers (that I know) have no idea what XTR is. I get the impression he has a large Japanese customer base, which I'm sure helps his margins.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
old surf shop i rode for as a grom still has a bunch of XTR Midget Smith shortboards. They are all too big for me 6'2"+ and yellow but might have to buy one and put away

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I don't know the first thing about the margins, but I believe XTR is more vertically integrated than other manufacturers. My understanding is that everything is done in house, from the blank to glassing.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Javier is also the only reliable source for Dan's boards if you don't want to use offshore Asian production or you want to tweak the dims.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Yeah, even here in SD where they are based, majority of surfers (that I know) have no idea what XTR is. I get the impression he has a large Japanese customer base, which I'm sure helps his margins.
I'm surprised they aren't more popular in general. TBH I think a better website would go a long way. It's so confusing if you've never heard of them before. Like... I can order any of these brands in custom dims? From this seemingly random website? That looks like it was built in the 90s and never updated? I honestly thought it was a scam at first it made no sense to me at all.

I don't know the first thing about the margins, but I believe XTR is more vertically integrated than other manufacturers. My understanding is that everything is done in house, from the blank to glassing.
That's a very good point. I think they make the blanks and the epoxy resin themselves (not sure about the glass itself but that's relatively cheap). Probably helps them a lot and reduces waste/carbon footprint so it's a win-win.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
I'm surprised they aren't more popular in general. TBH I think a better website would go a long way. It's so confusing if you've never heard of them before. Like... I can order any of these brands in custom dims? From this seemingly random website? That looks like it was built in the 90s and never updated? I honestly thought it was a scam at first it made no sense to me at all.
Could be the delam issues they had way back early 00s that gave ppl a bad first impression. I have no idea why people use EPS instead of XPS.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Could be the delam issues they had way back early 00s that gave ppl a bad first impression. I have no idea why people use EPS instead of XPS.
I agree but it seems like nobody other than XTR can get XPS foam not to delam. There was some discussion on here (maybe earlier in this thread?) that Rusty was tying to use it without giving XTR patent royalties and they just couldn't figure it out. Javi and co have done the research to get it down over years of trial and error, or so it seems!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I learned about XTR from my friends shop that caters to Japanese. They had a batch of XTR Mayhems that looked incredible. My friend explained to me about them then let me demo one of his. Almost nobody out here rides them and at least once a month somebody says to me, "Is that an XTR? I thought they all delam?" So thats the rep out here. When I tell my friends or other board hoarders that you can get custom Pyzels that are 5x a durable for the same price, they trip out. Pyzels are considered designer brand out here. And yes XTR website sucks.