Official ....Lost custom order thread

Feb 9, 2019
At the risk of high jacking the thread

Have people had good success with STRETCH custom orders??

What other big brands should we know about?
Stretch have been great for the 5 boards Ive bought from them. XTR same. I avoid CSI and Chilli not for the ordering but rice paper glass jobs.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
What tech is Coco riding here? Looks EPS/Epoxy but it's not carbon wrap. Have Lost ditched Carbon Wrap and doing something new?

it's called Light Speedn tech. It's their proformance EPS with the carbon stringers. Check out Masons recent youtube offerings, he has been (miraculously) avoiding rocks all over on one. They haven't ditched carbon wrap

Reactions: noise

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
it's called Light Speedn tech. It's their proformance EPS with the carbon stringers. Check out Masons recent youtube offerings, he has been (miraculously) avoiding rocks all over on one. They haven't ditched carbon wrap
I haven't seen anything other than Mason's and Coco's videos and Mike from Pureglass' IG on this tech. The teaser marketing is working.

Reactions: chilly1

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
These new ones look pretty nice.

Was debating ordering some Losts for this year, but honestly, this thread has really turned me off.

Think it's worth it?

Reactions: chilly1

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
These new ones look pretty nice.

Was debating ordering some Losts for this year, but honestly, this thread has really turned me off.

Think it's worth it?
I do think so but, also based upon this thread, better hurry! That tech looks pretty good but idk maybe kinda too light weight, for me that is (I'm big). I think these may be even lighter that the carbon wrap, which is so light I don't really use it that much lately, been lucking into punchy surf most every weekend, miraculously and it's still summer. I think it's pretty much similar to the XTR SLCK that you know but with marko blank.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I thought you ordered entire quiver ranges from lost, like a batch of retro step ups/semis, V2 family, Buggies, Drivers???
Yeah for sure. I have in the past put in orders for 4 and 6 boards at a time.

The first order of 6 came out great. But the second order, two of the three guns I got were unrideable bc of the rails and one of the three short boards I got was also not great because of the rails. This is after asking for rails taken down / team files etc. So basically three boards down the drain.

Then I ordered another round of two short boards and they never got shaped / showed up. Asked my shop to follow up and they never got a reply from Lost.

Hopefully this explains why I‘m throwing so much shade at Lost. If they just put in the work to have a decent process around customs I’d still be ordering 4 - 6 boards a year. Instead I’ve moved over to Pyzel where you can talk directly to someone and have your boards delivered in under 6 weeks.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Jeez, if they gave even one f-@k, they would want to take care of an individual customer who ordered several boards a year. You'd think positive word-of-mouth alone would be worth it. Glad to hear Pyzel is treating you right. Seems like a good dude and people really love his boards right now.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Jeez, you'd think if they gave even one f-@k, they would want to take care of an individual customer who ordered several boards a year. Positive word-of-mouth alone would be worth it.
They don't care, they sell more than enough with all the standardized models/sizes.

Reactions: oeste858
Aug 22, 2008
This thread is starting to get interesting in the general theme of: shld shapers care about custom orders from regular people? Also for context my current quiver = 1x lost custom, 2x lost off the rack, 1x lost via craigslist, 2x custom stamps, 1x stock dims but none the less ordered JS bc it was not instock

That said... Lost is doing just fine with their lack of customer service for average bros. I've had really good ones off the rack and still buy them (I want to get a Hydra right now!)

Seems like the approach of getting Mason, Coco, Mike Ho, Carissa Moore, all lowers stand outs and anyone else on the CT, Bruce Irons if he asks, etc. dialed with sick customs is working for them. If it were my business I'm not sure if I wld change it

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
It's interesting, you might think their strategy drives people to buy stock boards from shops. But they're pretty bad about dealing with shops too.

I don't think this "strategy" will help them moving forward, as more people go directly to the shaper/manufacturer/website and expect decent service. Every other large company provides this now.

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Yeah I agree.

It stands to reason that the route that people go with shapers / brands looks a little bit like this.

Off the rack -> mix of off the rack and customs -> primarily customs with an occasional off the rack.

Why lose a customer just as you're developing a long-term relationship? What good does all the marketing and shop distribution do if you have a leak at the bottom of your bucket?

I know a bunch of people who have just given up on Lost because they don't want to wait 3 months for a regular shortboard.

Reactions: Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
This thread is starting to get interesting in the general theme of: shld shapers care about custom orders from regular people?
Yes, and there are plenty of good shapers who do.

Those are pretty much the only ones I deal with.

Can't talk to the shaper? Forget it. Unless he has a middleman that really knows about surfboard design and has put in the time riding the various models and is interested in guiding the customer. I've found that's a rarity.

The dumbest thing ever - ordering customs boards with no input from the shaper himself. Honestly, what's the point?

When a shaper shifts over to having his middle man be the only contact for custom orders you know the custom order customer is no longer important.

Not that that necessarily a bad thing, but it is what it is.

Classic is shapers coming here, peddling their boards extensively, and then not being able give any guidance on a custom order when you send them a PM. WTF/LOL! No thanks.

Reactions: JDJ and Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yeah for sure. I have in the past put in orders for 4 and 6 boards at a time.

The first order of 6 came out great. But the second order, two of the three guns I got were unrideable bc of the rails and one of the three short boards I got was also not great because of the rails. This is after asking for rails taken down / team files etc. So basically three boards down the drain.

Then I ordered another round of two short boards and they never got shaped / showed up. Asked my shop to follow up and they never got a reply from Lost.

Hopefully this explains why I‘m throwing so much shade at Lost. If they just put in the work to have a decent process around customs I’d still be ordering 4 - 6 boards a year. Instead I’ve moved over to Pyzel where you can talk directly to someone and have your boards delivered in under 6 weeks.
After you second order was ruined you still went back.

This makes zero sense to me.

Did you speak to them about the their fck-up?

File a claim with your credit card company?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
After you second order was ruined you still went back.

This makes zero sense to me.

Did you speak to them about the their fck-up?

File a claim with your credit card company?
I've still had great boards from them...

Other shapers still present risks.

The boards got delivered so I can't have my CC company cover that.

I should mention that the shop I order through doesn't take deposits from me bc I buy a lot of boards through them.

They also won't take deposits on Losts bc they know stuff like this happens.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I've still had great boards from them...

Other shapers still present risks.
But you know this company already majorly fcked up your order.

1000s of dollars down the drain

That's a lot of money to most people.

The boards got delivered so I can't have my CC company cover that.
No, they sent you the wrong surfboards...

You should have opened a claim. And taken it further if needed.

I should mention that the shop I order through doesn't take deposits from me bc I buy a lot of boards through them.

They also won't take deposits on Losts bc they know stuff like this happens.
So they just send the boards back when the Lost gets the customer's order wrong?

Oct 16, 2017
I got burnt by lost in Australia twice and they’ll never get a cent from me again. Ordered a stringered eps PJHP they said would take 6-8 weeks, after 10 weeks I had to chase them up weekly, they told me it was in glassing stage and that took another 7 weeks. 17 weeks for a board and when I got it, rode it twice and it fell apart in front of the centre fin. When you lift the glass where it had opened up the stringer was done with a permanent marker to cover up where they had routed the fin box too far up the first time and just filled it in. $1000 board and they do that sh!t? They offered me some t shirts and to fix the board but I got a refund. Vowed to never buy a custom again from them.
A year on now and I just picked up the Cali twin off the rack, ridden it about 8 times and it’s been repaired 3 times where it’s all cracking on the rails. Never again!!!

Attachments