A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Aruka trout/flattie btfo my trout/flattie

So that is a Corvina?
Yes. They are pretty common in some parts of the southern desert peninsula. A schooling fish that often arrives with the high tide. They can get fairly big and will put up a good fight. A bit of a soft mouth and a tendency to jump and shake so there is always a fair chance of heartbreak. They will hit shallow diving and surface plugs I've found so the past few years I've been playing around with some of those fancy Japanese plugs that the East Coast striped bass fisherman use with some success. Kind of cool to slow roll lures over shallow reef sections that were previously unfishable. I haven't seen anyone else using this technique but I did run into a guy two years ago who was having good luck catching them in the shallows with a fly setup.

Reactions: Q_Surf

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Yes. They are pretty common in some parts of the southern desert peninsula. A schooling fish that often arrives with the high tide. They can get fairly big and will put up a good fight. A bit of a soft mouth and a tendency to jump and shake so there is always a fair chance of heartbreak. They will hit shallow diving and surface plugs I've found so the past few years I've been playing around with some of those fancy Japanese plugs that the East Coast striped bass fisherman use with some success. Kind of cool to slow roll lures over shallow reef sections that were previously unfishable. I haven't seen anyone else using this technique but I did run into a guy two years ago who was having good luck catching them in the shallows with a fly setup.
Same Crorvina that is in Central America,? Caught some big ones on livies just inside the gulf from Pavones/

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Same Crorvina that is in Central America,? Caught some big ones on livies just inside the gulf from Pavones/
I couldn't tell you for sure. I think corvina is kind of a catch all name for a group of different fish. The ones we catch in Baja are the Shortfin Corvina, I think.

Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I used to do a lot of fly fishing especially freshwater in NJ. Get a Betts or Gaines Bumblebee and work the edges of lilly pads. Perhaps the most fun you can have fishing fresh water in NJ. Now is the time. You're welcome.
Thanks Captain Obvious, what part of Florida did you not understand?

• Haha
Reactions: r32

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I have the fancy Hobie one with the foot pedals. 13' and it's insanely good. Super stable and really fast. So easy to cover serious distance. Hands free is the best thing ever. Super sturdy design and all the extra parts feel really durable.

However, heavy as hell at more than 70lbs and I can barely load it myself on my vehicle because it's so awkward of shape. It's almost too heavy for my SUV roof, which I think is actually rated to hold less weight. Would be easier for me to load if I had a stupidly overpriced $75,000 Ford F150 Limited. If you are older, with back problems, you might even have trouble loading the thing onto a trailer. It's that heavy. Even dragging it up the sand is a bitch.

Bought used off craiglist for about 30% off sticker price. Those CL guys will not budge on price. Your best bet to get lucky with a wife selling her ex's or something and maybe she doesn't know what it's worth.

Also, last year the patent design ran out on the foot pedal design for Hobie. So now all the other kayak manufacturers can copy it. But Hobie rolled out a new upgraded foot pedal design which works even better, and of course the new one is patented.

So be sure to look at other manufacturers now as they are sure to have foot pedal versions as well. Before, it used to be mostly a Hobie thing. But imho, they are too overpriced now and the competition offers just as good kayaks for half the price.

Also, you will never go as much as you want. Sometimes you just don't feel like loading it all up and going to the beach or lake. It's a lot of work. Then hosing it all down when you get home to keep it nice. Takes up a lot of room in the garage or like me where I store in the side of house in the shade. Seen many on CL over the years, after a few years ownership, and used less than 10x. Owner always says same thing. We just don't use it as much as we thought we would. It's the same with jet skis and snowmobiles.

I want to get his new Hobie design but there is no way in hell i'm spending $5k on a kayak. I don't go enough to justify the cost.

The mirage drive could be ported to another type of craft, like a skin-on-frame kayak. This could be modified to look like the Hobie Outback:

A guy did this with a pram:

Anyone have any advice for a kid-proof rig for catching channel cats?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
What was done wrong by the trapped 'yakker? How do you make sure that doesn't happen?
There's a thing called "boofing" when going over ledges which is an attempt to keep the kayak more horizontal as you come off the edge which helps avoid this happening. His kayak nose just happened to go under and catch the lip of a rock just right.

Got to BOOF it people. Keep that bow raised, even on the most simple looking sections. And always kayak with friends and watch each other over every key section.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Interesting morning I had, caught 4 fluke, 2 bass on sand fleas, went for a surf, then gave the flyrod a go. Dozens of nice size stripers cruising just off the beach, with the clear water we been having I was sight casting them with a crab fly, follows right up to my feet but no takers, maybe longer leader?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I surfed twice today but damn man you’re having a far better NEastren pandemic than I am, fish wise.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Interesting morning I had, caught 4 fluke, 2 bass on sand fleas, went for a surf, then gave the flyrod a go. Dozens of nice size stripers cruising just off the beach, with the clear water we been having I was sight casting them with a crab fly, follows right up to my feet but no takers, maybe longer leader?
I don't know stripers; longer leader sounds good but if they're following but not eating, I would suspect something else first, maybe.

Is your crab fly a mole crab fly, or a fiddler/blue claw? Neutral colors minus possibly an orange egg accent?
If you are using bead chain, maybe dumbell to kick up more sand?
Maybe something with good undulation/action at rest?
Add/remove flash?
Maybe try a clouser fast and see if they'll hit a non-crab?
Try something completely non-hatch-matchy like a chartreuse bloodworm?

Sometimes jacks, ladyfish, blues, and especially Spannies want something hauling ass and will only follow something like a slow-walk seatrout/bass topwater.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been trying before sunset/after storms. I've seen a couple tarpon but only got a small ladyfish and some bait-sized jacks. Ladyfish ruined a zoom fluke for one small fish, jacks on kastmaster and gotcha. No spannies. I can see bait but I can't tell if it's glass minnows, early mullet, or pilchard/menhaden.

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
So, at least now if I ever need bait I'll know where to get it from. Ha ha.

Here's me and a small one from last year's Tyee season. Only 26 lbs. and what we call an undersize.

Needs to be 30 lbs. to be a Tyee.

Got to love it when under 30 pound fish are sneered at. LOL

OwenTwentySix.jpg

Busy sanding on my rowboat as we just got the news that we're good to go for the season, albeit with only one per day from July 15th. until August 31st. and then back to two per day until Sept 15th. the end of our season.

Throwing it out there that...once you guys can come up again.........if any of you were around my neck of the woods in August I'd be stocked to take you out.

Keep it in mind.

Take care.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
^^^^ That's a nice chunky one right there! On finbait?

You guys didn't head to Mex for the 4th?
yeah we got a nice scoop with a lot of chovy so we were stoked for where we ended up fishing. I don't like fishing bait but they weren't really eating swimbaits.

Mex is a mess right now. We're holding off until things settle down.

Reactions: keenfish

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
yeah we got a nice scoop with a lot of chovy so we were stoked for where we ended up fishing. I don't like fishing bait but they weren't really eating swimbaits.

Mex is a mess right now. We're holding off until things settle down.
Nice! I was going to say if you can get choves it's automatic on the Calicos.

We used to murder with chovies at LB breakwall. Spinning rod so you could lob them out there then fish it in gear. Automatic!

I recon I wouldn't be going to Mex right now either but our friend in common has been going down there almost every other weekend. Sounds like a crap shoot to me but they are still doing work on their new place that they built last year.

I hope you killed some. I love to eat them more than any other fish. :sneaky: