Best foil for you.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Who sells LoL Takuma stuff? I want to price them. Probably gonna switch brands if that next stimulus check comes through haha.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Who sells LoL Takuma stuff? I want to price them. Probably gonna switch brands if that next stimulus check comes through haha.
Big Winds in Oregon, I think Sozzle has a bit to say about Takuma though...

• Haha
Reactions: ghostshaper

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Big Winds in Oregon, I think Sozzle has a bit to say about Takuma though...

yeah but the new build should have addressed that problem.

Reactions: grendel95

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Allegedly takuma have fixed their shïtty build quality judged from a post by piros on seabreeze, no other info on that from anyone else though, Jacko was super pushy to sell em at the start but I gather from a comment he had the same problems I did after a while, for him and some customers, cracking of tips and trailing edges and incurable water ingress.

The ride was never an issue for me, my issues were simply with the build and them being a shïtty company that doesn’t give a fvck about their customers when they clearly knew they had an issue out of the gate, several posts on seabreeze confirmed this.

I’d love to get the 1300 for medium days but I just can’t morally support a company run buy total sweet and delicious bag of pickles. Plus it’s still way too big for what I want for decent sized waves.

The 1600 paired with a high aspect tail wing is a real good pumper and is way more manageable with regards to over foiling, stock tail is lifty as faarrkk! With a skinny tail my 11 year old was carving around on the 1600 the other day.

Apparently they’re bringIng out a 1000 version but no solid details on that yet, that would be a killer foil.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Allegedly takuma have fixed their shïtty build quality judged from a post by piros on seabreeze, no other info on that from anyone else though, Jacko was super pushy to sell em at the start but I gather from a comment he had the same problems I did after a while, for him and some customers, cracking of tips and trailing edges and incurable water ingress.

The ride was never an issue for me, my issues were simply with the build and them being a shïtty company that doesn’t give a fvck about their customers when they clearly knew they had an issue out of the gate, several posts on seabreeze confirmed this.

I’d love to get the 1300 for medium days but I just can’t morally support a company run buy total sweet and delicious bag of pickles. Plus it’s still way too big for what I want for decent sized waves.

The 1600 paired with a high aspect tail wing is a real good pumper and is way more manageable with regards to over foiling, stock tail is lifty as faarrkk! With a skinny tail my 11 year old was carving around on the 1600 the other day.

Apparently they’re bringIng out a 1000 version but no solid details on that yet, that would be a killer foil.
How much do you weigh? Are you saying the 1300 is to much foil for small waves, but the 1600 with a different tail is easier to manage?

I just want it for prone foil in 1-5 foot waves. Seemed like the 1300 would be the way to go for that.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
145lbs,
1300 would be fine in small waves but I might struggle to do what I want in headhigh plus waves on it, my 1150 gong is too much for me for a lot of the turns I’m trying.

1600 is complete overkill for me but the tail brings it in a bit, I am only using it in tiny waves where my friend is on his gl210,
I’m mainly only riding it as I’ve been teaching my kid to foil and he’s been on my 1150 gong wing but his new 995 gong turned up yesterday so I’ll be off the takuma unless it’s knee high and weak.

Foiltheworld is my weight and he did say in his review he thought the 1300 was too lifty for him in medium surf at points when doing turns.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020
145lbs,
1300 would be fine in small waves but I might struggle to do what I want in headhigh plus waves on it, my 1150 gong is too much for me for a lot of the turns I’m trying.

1600 is complete overkill for me but the tail brings it in a bit, I am only using it in tiny waves where my friend is on his gl210,
I’m mainly only riding it as I’ve been teaching my kid to foil and he’s been on my 1150 gong wing but his new 995 gong turned up yesterday so I’ll be off the takuma unless it’s knee high and weak.

Foiltheworld is my weight and he did say in his review he thought the 1300 was too lifty for him in medium surf at points when doing turns.

Def go 1300 for your purposes, plus a new stab down the road is always an option to up the pump on small days.

Remember that it also depends where you live. For exemple in Hawai the same size wave is more pushy than California which is more than where I live in France. Depends also what you wear, boardshort or full wetsuite, etc...

I think hight aspect wing are the way to go for most days, the lift is so gradual that it is easier to take off on steeper waves.
But once again all HA aspect are not the same, Axis 900 and 910 are different, more lift on the 910.

Takuma vs Axis, I would say Axis is lighter, better quality, stiffer, and lots of new wings coming up.

I heard good review alos on the new Fone.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Takumas biggest problem is They don’t have smaller wings for bigger surf, they’re super into downwinders so I do wonder if they’ll expand downwards

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I asked Laird if he had the Lift High aspect foil yet. He said yes and gave the same response I've heard him mention about other larger wings before. "Those big wings are good for pumping around in flat water I guess, for riding waves though I don't know." He rides small foils on his SUP. 1100cm2 or something. He is SO fast though. Him and another guy were talking about tow foiling in Hawaii and Laird was saying something about how his boards are balsa wood and heavy. Paraphrasing here but: "and they're heavy, why would you want light when you're trying to create horsepower? You want heavy."

His views on foiling are contrary to most if not all prone guys it seems. You can't argue with his results though. He paddles over a mile upwind to get to that spot. Faster than people walk the same distance on the beach. When I'm catching the smaller ones and going left (it's a predominant right) then pumping back out, he watches though :)

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Takumas biggest problem is They don’t have smaller wings for bigger surf, they’re super into downwinders so I do wonder if they’ll expand downwards
That line is to confusing for me. Every review says the 1300 is great and pumps above it's size, but then you go to buy it and the shop guys say oh at 185 you're probably to big for that let me check. The head of Takuma said you could go with the 1300 for good turning or the 1600 for pumping 2 for 1's. Well which is it?

I got a deal with Axis somehow, and I'm not really sure how. Just fell into the situation. Steamroller is paying me back for finding him a foil setup years ago. Now he somehow hooked me up with an Axis setup for a good price. :)

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
I've gone from an Axis (900) to Armstrong 1550, came very close to getting the Lol 1300. As the Takuma lol wings performance is very highly rated but went with my gut & bought the 1550 - super stoked so far.

Reactions: sozzle
Mar 22, 2020
You
That line is to confusing for me. Every review says the 1300 is great and pumps above it's size, but then you go to buy it and the shop guys say oh at 185 you're probably to big for that let me check. The head of Takuma said you could go with the 1300 for good turning or the 1600 for pumping 2 for 1's. Well which is it?

I got a deal with Axis somehow, and I'm not really sure how. Just fell into the situation. Steamroller is paying me back for finding him a foil setup years ago. Now he somehow hooked me up with an Axis setup for a good price. :)
You won't depapointed with this setup, two good friends (really good surfers) switch to this set exact set up and they are so grateful, they now can pump to catch mutiple waves and do nice big carving turns.