Footage of coffin on a JS

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I think Freestone looks 10x better on Pyzels, but yeah I don't know if he's moving the needle for Pyzel sales.
He's definitely more consistent and maybe some of that could be attributed to Pyzel's designs, but there is also the added incentive/pressure of providing for his and Alana's new baby especially after her getting canned by Rip Curl.

Reactions: summersurf07

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Just a hunch it isn't about $$$, he's got that, but more about the shaper who he's working with. I'm sure JS has plenty of ghost shapers, but CI probably has 2x's as many and none of them are AM, even though many of them shape insane boards, they are all mostly still scrubbers, just not AM.
JS shaping his boards, in his room, talking it out, dialing boards in etc, That's where it's at at this point in his career, boards.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
I dunno, very few of these board manufacturer changes improve someone's surfing enough for the board manufacturer to get a ROI: Nat Young from CI to DHD, Adriano from CI to Chilli, Taj from Webber and Mayhem to Firewire, Owen Wright from JS to DHD, Jack Freestone from DHD to Pyzel etc. I think many people would agree that Kelly's departure from CI to the Firewire fold cost him a 12th title.

The subtle nuances in boards at the CT level (maybe Gabriel's boards being a small exception) and the fact these guys are borrowing boards from one another in some instances and making design change suggestions to their shapers makes the changes (and a minor financial incentive) seem strange unless they're having personal issues with their shapers and/or management.
Ironic thing is most guys who left CI came back to CI. Bobby went to DHD along with nat and they both ride CI now. Adriano and jordy just ride whatever.

there is something magic about the rockers on CI’s the flyer and MBM rocker might be the best 2 ever performance shortboard rockers

Reactions: Havoc

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I'd put good money on it being a money issue.

ie JS would've made him an offer too good to refuse.
You think? Unless JS is making a bigger push for the US market, Conner won't do anything for the brand, IMO.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I thought Conner looked very different in the JS... in a good way. Good on him; I’m sure he’s doing it for the change rather than the $

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Connor, Kelly, ADS, Felipe... and a bunch of other pros have been surfing lowers a lot and the waves havent been that great and its been super crowded. I think that is a factor when seeing some of the recent footage of them. Connor didnt look that good on the waves i saw him get at Lowers, but i think it was the conditions and the crowd. He may need to get used to the boards a bit.

Also, Heath Walker was named president of JS USA last year and i think he's trying to ramp things up here in California. There is a new JS factory in Oceanside (i think its new?) and i noticed a few local guys (former pros) riding JS's. I wouldn't be surpised if they start making a push here in the USA.

Here's an article on Heath taking over.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
This has gotta be a money thing. Same reason he has those monster stickers on his boards. Money talks. Loyalty is gone. 'Selling out' is the new core. I blame social media and the 'look at me' culture we now live in and accept.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
You'd think CI would do what it took to have a local guy on the CT level and the Stab post said CI was actually paying him more with board model royalties. Another post (maybe Beach grit?) said JS was ramping up their US presence and wanted a CA face of the brand. I'm sure they went down the list from Griffin and then Connor was the first one to say yes. So, he probably is just trying to give his surfing a spark. He's always had a pretty trad style compared to the more radical young guys and needs a long wall to draw out that signature carve. Certainly a gamble for a pro, but probably worth it if he's kinda stuck mid-rankings on the CT. Can always go back. I'm sure some of you may disagree but I can't imagine CI has the same mystique for the younger gen as when Curren & Slater were winning titles on Al's boards and half the top pros were riding them.

Reactions: MathDebater

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
My questions and observations are:

I'm pretty sure Conner rode for Reef at one point. Nutty ran Reef USA for a long time.
Conner isn't hurting for cash, the family is wealthy, but he's going to want to make his own money and his agent needs to justify his position. I'm sure JS' expansion in the US market is the motivating factor for their side of the table. I'm curious to know if JS offered equity in the brand stateside. That's something that CI is not going to offer at this stage in the game.

Connor could benefit from some major shifts in his surfing. He's got great fundamentals, but he can come off a bit, well, fundamental (read: boring)...

Just a hunch it isn't about $$$, he's got that, but more about the shaper who he's working with. I'm sure JS has plenty of ghost shapers, but CI probably has 2x's as many and none of them are AM, even though many of them shape insane boards, they are all mostly still scrubbers, just not AM.
JS shaping his boards, in his room, talking it out, dialing boards in etc, That's where it's at at this point in his career, boards.
Nobody on the CI team is trying to get boards from Al Merrick. Most of the team has their go to shapers. Mike Walter is one of the team builders that several of the CI team go to. I forget the dude's name in SoCal that is pretty popular too. It's not like CI has their team boards going through the same assembly line as their retail orders. They know who is shaping their board and they are world class shapers that are often far more skilled than the names on the label at that moment in time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka and ANIMA
Aug 22, 2008
No disrepect to Al or any of the new shapers working for CI but... who is the highest rated WCT surfer on CIs these days? I agree broadly that Kelly shld get back on CI or Simon Andersons ASAP but at the same time feel like some of the luster of the magic board is gone... I see this more as Conner needs to spice it up and he wld never go to Lost based on the implications of such a switch

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
My questions and observations are:

I'm pretty sure Conner rode for Reef at one point. Nutty ran Reef USA for a long time.
Conner isn't hurting for cash, the family is wealthy, but he's going to want to make his own money and his agent needs to justify his position. I'm sure JS' expansion in the US market is the motivating factor for their side of the table. I'm curious to know if JS offered equity in the brand stateside. That's something that CI is not going to offer at this stage in the game.

Connor could benefit from some major shifts in his surfing. He's got great fundamentals, but he can come off a bit, well, fundamental (read: boring)...

Nobody on the CI team is trying to get boards from Al Merrick. Most of the team has their go to shapers. Mike Walter is one of the team builders that several of the CI team go to. I forget the dude's name in SoCal that is pretty popular too. It's not like CI has their team boards going through the same assembly line as their retail orders. They know who is shaping their board and they are world class shapers that are often far more skilled than the names on the label at that moment in time.
I think you're spot on.
If the Connor can step up the brand, and he has stake in the company, it could be a great deal for him.
It definitely seems possible. Conner just needs to put his head down and charge it on the new boards.