Official ....Lost custom order thread

Jul 5, 2009
I got a custom with XTR in the process for a Driver 2.0, Javier did tell me that the lost shaper tends to take the longest, but I'm hoping they're making an exception! My ex-roommate also ordered a custom from them in PU, and apparently it took a while as well.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Pretty hit or miss.

I've gotten boards in very reasonable timeframes, like 8ish weeks. Sometimes that even included color.

I've gotten boards that took several months. Usually those were guns.

I've gotten boards that very very good. I've gotten boards that were duds.

I've even ordered boards (through a shop) that never got shaped but fortunately they never took a deposit because I order regularly.

If you want a lost, go for it, but don't have any real expectations around delivery. That way you can't be disappointed.

Reactions: chilly1

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Aside from a few incidents all good (one was XTR's fault though). I don't expect a quick turn around so I am not disappointed if they take a while but rather treat it like I forgot Xmas was coming and then I get a call its next week! It's a bunch or bros, not pros juggling a bunch of stuff as long as you are ultra clear with them you usually get precisely what you order. Thats been my experience.

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
I’ve gotten a Mini Driver, RNF twin, V2 shortboard. First two were through shapers night, last one was just through the shop. All were delivered at or before time quoted (6 weeks). Blank selection and dims were right on. Good glassing too. All PU.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I had a pretty reasonable experience, I ordered a custom EZ UP through a shop, and it was about 3 months. I ended up taking the board on a trip with my buddy, his son surfed it once, and I never got it back, haha.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Ordered a few through a shop on the east coast. Boards took over two months, there was zero communication and one came out wrong. Never again. They seem like they could give a sh!t about custom orders.

I've bought several Losts off the rack and liked them. If I ever were to buy one again, I'd go that route.

• Angry
Reactions: Aruka

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It’s sad that people think this is a “reasonable” timeframe.
There are much worse out there.

Some guys 3-4 months right now
Longest ever heard personally was Proctor - 6 months - no thanks
When you order a Pavel part of the process is contacting a lawyer to will it to your children (honestly who the hell would order a Pavel?)

• Haha
Reactions: Bman76

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
There are much worse out there.

Some guys 3-4 months right now
Longest ever heard personally was Proctor - 6 months - no thanks
When you order a Pavel part of the process is contacting a lawyer to will it to your children (honestly who the hell would order a Pavel?)
Yeah, I talked to Lovelace about getting a sooper snake and he straight said 6 moths. At least he was honest.

CI takes 6-8 weeks for most people.

The last custom CI I got was 5 weeks.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I inquired about ordering one through a shop, and they told me that Mayhem doesn't keep digital records. Your order is on the shop deposit receipt and a handwritten order form in triplicate. Fine if you are ordering from a local shaper, but the largest surfboard manufacturer in the world?