What's your favorite board between a groveler and a shortboard?

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
You couldn't go wrong with any of these 3:

CI Rocket Wide
Lost Short Round
Rainbow Speed Dialer

Reactions: Aruka

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I had a sh!t ton of fun on my Rad Ripper in the fall / winter when the waves were small / fun / rippable.

Crazy speed and momentum but can still rip a big top turn all in a tiny package. Pretty solid recipe for success.

Last edited:

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
js monsta box 5'10, hpsb 6'0-6'1, gravel 5'8
on my fourth so far 2 pu, 2 hyfi, can't say i've ever had a js that didn't work well

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'm still surprised you didn't pull the trigger on the AstroPop. Have you considered an El Tomo quad fish from XTR?
Album Twinsman?.. or maybe you already have one of those

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I'm still surprised you didn't pull the trigger on the AstroPop. Have you considered an El Tomo quad fish from XTR?
Album Twinsman?.. or maybe you already have one of those
I was very close to and I still may. I have considered el tomo. It's the first tomo to tempt me in a long time. No Twinsman...yet. I opted for lightbender instead.

Reactions: oeste858

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
that Chemistry d3 i used was extremely fast in thigh high surf and has quite the high end.
It was over-sized for me and had a round tail but it went really really well.
I've seen my friend surfing it on bigger days so it has a great upper end.

"Based off of our popular Disk series and the success of our Disk 2 model, the D3 takes it to the next level. It is more high performance but loses no fun. We added more entry and tail rocker to the Disk 2 while slightly pulling in the nose and tail. The bottom contour is a deep double barrel concave feeding off the tail. This model works well as a quad or thruster so it is equipped with a 5 fin set up. The D3 model is the perfect board to cheat on while still being able to surf progressively in waves from knee to head high. "

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
that Chemistry d3 i used was extremely fast in thigh high surf and has quite the high end.
It was over-sized for me and had a round tail but it went really really well.
I've seen my friend surfing it on bigger days so it has a great upper end.

"Based off of our popular Disk series and the success of our Disk 2 model, the D3 takes it to the next level. It is more high performance but loses no fun. We added more entry and tail rocker to the Disk 2 while slightly pulling in the nose and tail. The bottom contour is a deep double barrel concave feeding off the tail. This model works well as a quad or thruster so it is equipped with a 5 fin set up. The D3 model is the perfect board to cheat on while still being able to surf progressively in waves from knee to head high. "
speaking of Chemistry surfboards
http://instagr.am/p/CBdcUTlAbLL/

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
It's been hard to get off my Neck Beard 2 (Varial) in pretty much everything from just rideable (thigh high) up to a couple of feet overhead. I've had it almost a year. My Spine-Tek Fever has only been called up once or twice and I kind of missed the NB2.

In the last year I bought a custom Dan Cobley 5'8 performance twin based off the Stacey Bullet Twin and a used Superflex Fling. The twin surprised me how thruster like it surfs (fins are set back at 7.25"), but I know I can do much more progressive and powerful surfing on the NB2, so I've been neglecting the twin. The 5'6 Fling I purposely oversized/over-volumed, thinking it'd be for waves I thought I'd be struggling on the NB2, but I've realized that when I get to a section with those extra 3.5 liters (29 vs. 32.5) compared to my NB2, I'm just too on top of the water and can't get things to bite how I want.

I sold the Fling last week and briefly considered looking for a 5'4, but the Pyzel Astro Pop with its narrower tail seemed to be more in line with how I surf and I put an order in through XTR on a 5' 6" x 19 1/2" x 2 3/8". I put a stock 5'6 under my arm at my local shop which is 2 5/16 thick and I was tripping out, since it felt 2 3/8" all day long to me. The rails weren't as foiled as I had expected from having read some comments, but definitely more refined than the Gremlin I felt up. I talked to someone at Pyzel SC and he said the AP doesn't float as well as you'd think and he recommended going a liter over what I'd usually consider.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
@Aruka you should save up some bones and get a JT glassed Astro Pop
I wanted to do the same, but if I was able to procure a 20% off deal, that's still a $1089 dollar board with tax and $50 deck color factored-in, which I'd want to have if I ever planned on surfing while the sun is shining . I'm gonna have some splaining to do with the cost of the XTR Astro Pop as it is; if my wife found out I paid over a G...

Reactions: oeste858