The Swedish Experiment

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Their economy getting hit too, can't win. The fear is worse than the virus or the cure. Consumer confidence is hurting.

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
I'm currently in Sweden, (only 1/4 swede though) there is so much nonsense here that I thought I'd try to shed a little light.

Here goes.

Exposure.

Sweden reacted late, that was what they did wrong.
Sweden has a ski vacation in late February every year, yes you heard that right, schools and work let people off for a week off to go skiing/snowboarding.
The Italian Alps has been the hot spot for swedes the last few years, Danes, norwegians and Finns far less so.
that coincided with the Italy having a high amount of Covid 19 cases. So basically, there was a lot more exposure compared to the neighboring countries.

How it has been handled.

Sweden can't politicize things like this, because sweden has a People's Health Authority which is seperated from the government.
What they say, based entirely on science, is what the politics has to follow, not the other way around. it is rather unique, and kind of cool if you ask me.
Anders Tegnell , basically just doesn't fluff.
He isn't defensive and just says exactly how it is.

Predicting is never perfect, even in science, so he truthfully answers that in retrospect some things should have been done differently.

The decisions by the People's health authority were comprised of a lot of factors. 1 sweden has a low birthrate and children leave the house when they become of age. As opposed to Italy where several generations of family members live together.
Swede's generally do keep a social distance and much of the population outside the cities is spread out.
The swedish healthcare is managing this, it's at a higher rate, but it hasn't overwhelmed the healthcare system, this was the main reason for staying open and not locking down. Flatten the curve and avoid brunt of the storm.

As for the high death rates. This is for several reasons.
1 , they save testing for those that are in critical need to keep resources open. More have had corona without showing severe symptoms, they aren't in need of the same medical care. If sweden had testing, that would automatically lower the number of people dying per those infected.

2) Sweden counts all those who died with Covid-19 as deaths by covid-19. Because this can't be politicized, as it isn't the governments decision, facts are everything and no one can do a blame game. This is interesting, because a lot of countries with elected governments and officials that are in charge of this would have incentive to smudge the numbers. Basically, if you died of pnuemonia or anything else while being infected with Covid-19, it gets registered as Covid-19. Simple as that.

3) Swedish Old folks homes, in the 90's sweden tried to counter the loneliness that affected the elderly by increasing the size of the old folks home. Norway and Denmark have retirement homes with guests of 15-20, sweden (as a way to combat loneliness) has old folks homes of 70-90. This is where Anders Tegnell has mentioned regret, that sweden wasn't able to protect these people that were vulnerable during this pandemic. old folks homes with 4-5x more people than the neighboring countries drastically affected the death toll as they require 4-5x the resources (in terms of workers, etc)

In Summary, sweden reacted late and that was the mistake, since then they have handled it exceptionally well, by not politicizing it, using measures to make sure the rate stays lower and by keeping business open. Actually really glad to be here during this.

I have 38 surf days here this already although it's slowed up with the nicer weather... but here is a pic of me barrel dodging here :

image.jpg

this isn't a hollow wave, but it's long, up to 200 yards, and over pretty sharp rocks

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm currently in Sweden, (only 1/4 swede though) there is so much nonsense here that I thought I'd try to shed a little light.

Here goes.

Exposure.

Sweden has a ski vacation in late February every year, yes you heard that right, schools and work let people off for a week off to go skiing/snowboarding.
The Italian Alps has been the hot spot for swedes the last few years, Danes, norwegians and Finns far less so.
that coincided with the Italy having a high amount of Covid 19 cases. So basically, there was a lot more exposure compared to the neighboring countries.

How it has been handled.

Sweden can't politicize things like this, because sweden has a People's Health Authority which is seperated from the government.
What they say, based entirely on science, is what the politics has to follow, not the other way around. it is rather unique, and kind of cool if you ask me.

Predicting is never perfect, even in science, so he truthfully answers that in retrospect some things should have been done differently.

The decisions by the People's health authority were comprised of a lot of factors. 1 sweden has a low birthrate and children leave the house when they become of age. As opposed to Italy where several generations of family members live together.
Swede's generally do keep a social distance and much of the population outside the cities is spread out.
The swedish healthcare is managing this, it's at a higher rate, but it hasn't overwhelmed the healthcare system, this was the main reason for staying open and not locking down. Flatten the curve and avoid brunt of the storm.

1 , they save testing for those that are in critical need to keep resources open. More have had corona without showing severe symptoms, they aren't in need of the same medical care. If sweden had testing, that would automatically lower the number of people dying per those infected.

2) Sweden counts all those who died with Covid-19 as deaths by covid-19. Because this can't be politicized, as it isn't the governments decision, facts are everything and no one can do a blame game. This is interesting, because a lot of countries with elected governments and officials that are in charge of this would have incentive to smudge the numbers. Basically, if you died of pnuemonia or anything else while being infected with Covid-19, it gets registered as Covid-19. Simple as that.

3) Swedish Old folks homes, in the 90's sweden tried to counter the loneliness that affected the elderly by increasing the size of the old folks home. Norway and Denmark have retirement homes with guests of 15-20, sweden (as a way to combat loneliness) has old folks homes of 70-90. This is where Anders Tegnell has mentioned regret, that sweden wasn't able to protect these people that were vulnerable during this pandemic. old folks homes with 4-5x more people than the neighboring countries drastically affected the death toll as they require 4-5x the resources (in terms of workers, etc)

In Summary, sweden reacted late and that was the mistake, since then they have handled it exceptionally well, by not politicizing it, using measures to make sure the rate stays lower and by keeping business open. Actually really glad to be here during this.

I have 38 surf days here this already although it's slowed up with the nicer weather... but here is a pic of me barrel dodging here :

View attachment 92306

this isn't a hollow wave, but it's long, up to 200 yards, and over pretty sharp rocks

Thanks for the perspective. Interesting to hear about their public health organization based completely in science. I like that.

Reactions: SharkBoy

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
On my rate my professor account I once got "Chile" for being hot in my eval.

Some one else wrote: "How could you give this guy a Chile! No way! He's so not hot! Come on!!"

That seems mean spirited to me.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal

Here goes.

Exposure.

How it has been handled.

View attachment 92306

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Does Sweden Share a border with Mexico? Nut this one up, Sweden...
black people, All two dozen of them. They have their IDs. fvck....

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
They keep using this ‘economy tanked anyway’ meme as some sort of proof of failure but the reality is that when the entire world goes on lockdown any tiny country like Sweden is going to get smashed economically.

‘European Union’ ring a bell? It’s all intertwined.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
They keep using this ‘economy tanked anyway’ meme as some sort of proof of failure but the reality is that when the entire world goes on lockdown any tiny country like Sweden is going to get smashed economically.
So you're saying there were no possible pros to not locking down....?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
So you're saying there was no pros to not locking down....?
Too early to tell but Sweden will likely reach heard immunity sooner. That’s the way out of this, ya know. Herd immunity.

Here in Murica the news of increased cases among the young is reported with alarm when in reality it’s the best thing that can happen. WE CAN‘T STOP A VIRUS. Young healthy people getting it and getting over it relatively unscathed is exactly what we need.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Sweden has 5 times the deaths than all the other Scandinavian countries combined.
Sweden has 3 times the cases than all the other Scandinavian countries combined.
Sweden has 2/3 the population than all the other Scandinavian countries combined.
Sweden's daily case and death rate is *still* many times higher than all the other Scandinavian countries combined.
Sweden is not close to herd immunity. If a vaccine becomes available in 2021 Swedes will all line up to get it.
Sweden is re-thinking its strategy:

Reactions: afoaf