EPS board turned scratchy and white then started sweating

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Like the title says.

Got board.

Bottom turned white and scratchy looking (see pics). You can run your fingers over it and feel the fiberglass weave and doesn’t feel smooth at all.

This was my go to board. Used it extensively. When I noticed the glass on the bottom looking like this I stopped using it.

Just went to the garage and took the board back out of its bag. Now it appears to be sweating water out of the bottom.

I always kept board in bag and cleaned after each use.

Anyone have any idea what is going on with it?

6E20FBEE-C35E-4EF9-AC57-92BFCE1A5A0F.jpegCDB1FCB2-D952-4E59-BA85-65DF44810BEC.jpeg40CEB3A4-E985-46F8-97EA-0C4370485839.jpegA27D6879-C63F-4BA6-8624-CE10B568A2E1.jpeg3558D83B-3E26-4480-A28B-01A889E0E715.jpeg717EECE2-707F-4DC7-87F6-6DC708240D76.jpeg0E4D6105-F836-4799-B807-D1D7FA4FF972.jpeg

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Heat issue? Left in hot car, room etc? I have all my stretch boards in shed in back of house board bags (day bags). Shed has solar vent fan blowing air in and whirlybird vent fan blowing out

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Last edited:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I talked to someone else and it looks like the resin is basically just a bunch of pinholes on the bottom and water is just soaking inside it

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Put it out in the sun and let the board heat up to see if it starts bubbling out water. I had a big EPS/Epoxy board years ago that had that problem. Not long after I received the board I noticed it bubbling water coming out of it in numerous spots. Lots of pinholes in the glass and the water gets sucked in and then spit out once heated up.

If that is the problem you are having, the glass job is bad and the guy who did the glass job needs to eat it and take responsibility. When it happened to me, the shaper took the board back and made me a new one.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Thanks @feralseppo

I think that is exactly the problem.

The bottom is just a bunch of pinholes. I’m gonna put it in the sun and see what happens but I suspect that is the case.

The problem now is the shaper made it and told me I had to get it glassed seperate and so I’m prob going to be SOL in addition to the fact I got this board shaped back in hawaii before I left to bring to mainland.

I can’t go back to shaper and I’m too far away anyways. Such a bummer

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
That's some stringer.

It looks like the sander cut into the weave and they didn't seal it afterwards. It looks like there's dust in the weave in one of those pics. If there are actually pinholes they could be leaking. If there's water in the EPS then just laying another coat of epoxy won't work because the epoxy won't adhere.

If it were my board and if its leaking then I'd tent it with a blue tarp and leave it out in the sun to sweat the moisture out for a couple days. When it stops sweating there will probably still be moisture in the blank but that's okay so long as it doesn't bubble up while you're glassing. Sand the bottom to scuff the glass in order to get a mechanical bond then lay a new layer of cloth on the bottom, cut right at the edge of the flats, and finish as normal. The board will be heavier by 1/2# or so but at least it won't leak.

I'd make the sander do it.

If it's not leaking then maybe a new finish coat and seal will do it.

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
You aren’t. I previously posted it when it discolored.

Not it is sweating water out the bottom. That’s why i re posted
If I remember correctly, you contacted the glasser but he kind of just shrugged it off, right?

Even if the glasser admitted he fvcked up and offered a free glass job, you'd still have to pay the shaper to shape you another board. But do you really want to send that glasser another board? I wouldn't.

Sorry to say, but it sounds like you got a sh*t sandwich on this one.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
according to Eva the Boardlady
Always store your boards especially epoxies in knit bags
boards (especially wet ones) have to breathe as crazy as that may sound
but pinholes and micro cracks exist even if you can't initially see them.
I don't think that board was finished right with a sealing hotcoat and finish coat
maybe that was just a rattle can acrylic finish?

once you dry it out you can take it to a automotive painter and have him clear coat it or do it yourself with a 2pac rattle spray kit you can get from an autopaint shop. You need a really fine myster/sprayer.

Otherwise make a superthinned out epoxy seal coat with like 10% xylene(good carbon filtered mask) and paint it over to seal the pin holes
Let the board heat up then seal it as it cools the pinholes will suck in the sealant in as it cools.

These are just some options I would consider and have done with epoxies

But again sealed foil bags could be a board's nemesis.

Eva Hoffman knows stuff.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
get your money back from the glasser. then strip the board, fill any holes w/ a lightweight spackle and acrylic mix. get it glassed from someone good.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
get your money back from the glasser. then strip the board, fill any holes w/ a lightweight spackle and acrylic mix. get it glassed from someone good.
Well that adds a significant problem.

I got this board shaped specifically for a 6 month trip up to the mainland.

The Glasser is back in Hawaii.

On top of that- the Glasser charged me 800 bucks for this glass job. That’s just for the glass job.

Paid the shaper 750 and then shaper told me take to Glasser separately and the Glasser charged 800.00

Total for this board was 1550.00

I really liked the board and was Okay with spending that because it was a heavy glass job and I was planning on keeping the board forever.

Now I got a sweating paper weight.

Reactions: MathDebater