**BONZER THREAD 2014**

May 19, 2020
Considering my next bonzer for Santa Cruz points and occasional beaches. I like foam. Can those who know compare the performance of MBLV, Bumblebee, and a shorter egg? Thinking of something in the 5’10 to 6’2 range.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Considering my next bonzer for Santa Cruz points and occasional beaches. I like foam. Can those who know compare the performance of MBLV, Bumblebee, and a shorter egg? Thinking of something in the 5’10 to 6’2 range.
The MBLV is a favorite of mine. Very fun little board. Smaller wave bias than the Egg, IMO. The nose rocker on the Egg is more gradual than the MBLV. The Egg is actually super versatile. I've had a number of eggs in that size range and they've all been winners. Malcolm has that design super dialed in. Very refined. The BB is probably biased a little to better wave side of the Egg. Speaking of which, I do like to add a scooch of tail width to my small eggs.

Reactions: daverey and kpd73

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
The MBLV is a favorite of mine. Very fun little board. Smaller wave bias than the Egg, IMO. The nose rocker on the Egg is more gradual than the MBLV. The Egg is actually super versatile. I've had a number of eggs in that size range and they've all been winners. Malcolm has that design super dialed in. Very refined. The BB is probably biased a little to better wave side of the Egg. Speaking of which, I do like to add a scooch of tail width to my small eggs.
GWS have you ever gone twin with or with out AO bottom.on MC egg?

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
GWS have you ever gone twin with or with out AO bottom.on MC egg?
Ha! Just yesterday I asked Malcolm if he had made an Egg with an A/O fin setup. He hasn't. He's done the MBLV as a twin which I thought was pretty interesting. Supposedly it worked well. I have a new Russ Short that I widened the tail on, put a swallow on that and then glassed on keel fins. Stock Bonzer bottom. The keels had an inside foil on them and they felt like they were dragging, so knocked those off and put futures in. The fin position was a compromise between AO placement and keel fin placement. Anyway, I ran out of steam and the thing hasn't been back in the water yet. Time will tell...

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Ha! Just yesterday I asked Malcolm if he had made an Egg with an A/O fin setup. He hasn't. He's done the MBLV as a twin which I thought was pretty interesting. Supposedly it worked well. I have a new Russ Short that I widened the tail on, put a swallow on that and then glassed on keel fins. Stock Bonzer bottom. The keels had an inside foil on them and they felt like they were dragging, so knocked those off and put futures in. The fin position was a compromise between AO placement and keel fin placement. Anyway, I ran out of steam and the thing hasn't been back in the water yet. Time will tell...
Did MC have any positive/negative feedback of idea of egg with AO set up?

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Yeah. Go direct. I don't know what is happening re the shops.

Take that COVID 19 relief money, that unemployment check, and buy a surfboard.

Food is over rated.

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour
May 19, 2020
Thanks for the reply GWS! I used to be 100% a longboarder but am moving down in length. Right now I have a 6'8 Russ Short and a mini-simmons - I want something that fits in between the two - can still handle more size than the mini-simmons but more compact than the Russ.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Thanks for the reply GWS! I used to be 100% a longboarder but am moving down in length. Right now I have a 6'8 Russ Short and a mini-simmons - I want something that fits in between the two - can still handle more size than the mini-simmons but more compact than the Russ.
Sounds like a 6' +\- Egg to me.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
MBLV is a solid all rounder with a better bottom end than an egg. They surf nice and free with the three fin configuration. Nice 70's feel to these boards. I have a 5'6. My egg is 5'9 and really thinned out with performance rails. Surfs really quick down the line and the longer rail keeps the turns more drawn out than the mlv. The five fin setup gives you great hold in larger waves, especially during the highline. You can't go wrong really. Because you've come off long boards and have a russ short, the egg will fit seamlessly into your quiver. That said, if you want something different that will flow like your mini sim - the MLV is the go.

Reactions: daverey and kpd73