Is it worth going full FCS twin setup?

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
The area reduction in the fin from base to tip (or in this case the "zit") is not constant. It reduces, then increases at the zit and then reduces again at the top. Compare the numbers in the two fins. Amirite?

You read that somewhere :) Oh yeah that place that claims I never explained in detail ;-)

Zit refers to that point on the trailing edge of some fins near the tip

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Aruka , both companies make nice fins

Both of their glass fins are very nice

Futures is in the lead in other builds

If you snug my fin in a fusion box its stiffer side to side compared to a futures fin in their box

My Keels are centered over the box - not hanging wayback adding torque

Fcs should - but wont- do all their Keels centered over Fusion boxes to gain that advantage

IMG_8672.jpeg

During Glass ons my sander and I could definatly feel reducing the fillet , cutting a section out of the base is way bigger

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I was just going to ask you if you could compare them for me :) Thank you! I guess he tweaked the original shape a bit or maybe the angle of the photos are different? If I could get my hands on a template of a Burch twin set I could try to shape them myself. It doesn't look easy at all though after watching some YouTube videos...
If you want to have a go at making them yourself, I can trace my fin out on a piece of paper and send it to you.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I've had good results with FCS fusions/twins. Never a problem. The old plugs I used to break with stiff twin. Newest twin is fusions. It's sitting mostly unridden since this COVID stuff. Burning a hole in my pocket...

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
If you want to have a go at making them yourself, I can trace my fin out on a piece of paper and send it to you.
YES! I would totally be stoked if you could do that for me! Do you think you can trace the quad side as well? If it's too much of a pain no worries :) I've always wanted to try and make my own fins. I wonder if there's a way to shape/glass fins with a Futures base...or else I'd have to make them glass on. Do you ever want to change out the fins on your pickle?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
YES! I would totally be stoked if you could do that for me! Do you think you can trace the quad side as well? If it's too much of a pain no worries :) I've always wanted to try and make my own fins. I wonder if there's a way to shape/glass fins with a Futures base...or else I'd have to make them glass on. Do you ever want to change out the fins on your pickle?
Yeah, no worries. I'll trace out the quads as well.

No. That board is so dialed as it is, there is no need to change out the fins.

Reactions: RattimusBeach

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
What board did you get?
I took a file for a 7'2" Malcolm Campbell Russ Short model, widened up the tail, thickened up the tail so MC could shape in some deeper channels. The concept was a twin to ride in big mushy surf. A midsize twin that could hopefully ride a small wave as well. Time will tell...

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
I took a file for a 7'2" Malcolm Campbell Russ Short model, widened up the tail, thickened up the tail so MC could shape in some deeper channels. The concept was a twin to ride in big mushy surf. A midsize twin that could hopefully ride a small wave as well. Time will tell...
Sounds epic. Seems like channel bottoms are really popular right now~

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Pics??!!

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I have a Alpha Omega deep channels bonzer concaves with fcs fusion boxes running TA twin fiberglass set so far good