Post your Foil Pics HERE

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
How long can you guys stay up on foil? I can stay up for a minute pretty well. I'm winded at the end of that though. There aren't many waves around here where I have an opportunity to connect waves beyond that time length.

Seeing guys like Mr.Bennets say he's up for 3 minutes at a time is pretty impressive. Makes me wonder how big of a factor the high aspect wing is in those long runs.

I am slowly making my way into the foilage, but I wonder, how to do this hobby while maintaining your dignity and credibility as a human?
The way to do it, is to foil. Then realize that it's the superior form of surfing and ignore all your other boards and become hopelessly addicted to a new thing. Leave behind the surfer's who can't open their eyes to new things and just go do the same turn they've been doing for the last 30 years while complaining and being grumpy in the water.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
For me it's about avoiding crowds. It's so weird (and nice) not to be around anyone in the water. Come fluffy season, I'm going to want to see at least one more decoy in the water at the same time.

Mar 22, 2020
watching live is pretty humbling. a few weeks ago, they came out pumping into the line up and immediately connected to a couple waves. impressive.

those videos don't do their ability justice. what impressed me most was the no pumping on the face, just turns.
Yes, there is always a difference between what you see live. Anyway all those guys rip and have good attitude (they also rip regular shortboard, way more than some kooks blaming foiling...).

I like also foilwizard, but I'm not a big fan of foot strap :

http://instagr.am/p/Bu53uTvH3Yd/
This guy as well :

http://instagr.am/p/B7Ksct-H30K/

Reactions: ghostshaper
Mar 22, 2020
How long can you guys stay up on foil? I can stay up for a minute pretty well. I'm winded at the end of that though. There aren't many waves around here where I have an opportunity to connect waves beyond that time length.

Seeing guys like Mr.Bennets say he's up for 3 minutes at a time is pretty impressive. Makes me wonder how big of a factor the high aspect wing is in those long runs.

The way to do it, is to foil. Then realize that it's the superior form of surfing and ignore all your other boards and become hopelessly addicted to a new thing. Leave behind the surfer's who can't open their eyes to new things and just go do the same turn they've been doing for the last 30 years while complaining and being grumpy in the water.
I usually ride 1min to 2min, I guess it all depends of your approach, I guess you can stay longer and connect many waves if you just cruise on the wave instead of doing turns.

Hight aspect wing helps a lot when it comes to pumping and connecting multiples waves, you carry so much speed, it is more technical and sensitve, the technique is different (shorter/quicker pump).

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
I'm with ghostshaper, the lack of a crowd always pulls me in. I used to have a surfboard in the car, just in case the waves were better than I thought. That's happening less and less.

My flight time is around a minute, but I'm usually riding the wave pretty far inside before I kick out for a double. The double then is a pretty short ride and pumping back to the peak is pretty far. The aformentioned guys at San O can pump all the way back to the peak but I don't usually see them ride a wave as far as I do. Normally they seem to wrap a couple turns off the takeoff, exit and hone in on the unbroken swell beyond the lineup to start the real carving show.

Just to keep the photo froth going, I love seeing this guy tackle the great lakes:

http://instagr.am/p/B-UdOh6DJt6/

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Yeah surfdad!

There's going to be wind this afternoon and beaches to the North are open. But, my wife doesn't really want me going. I'm torn haha. It's only 12 knots today though and I told myself I should wait for a 15 knot day. Hmm, maybe tomorrow.

Mar 22, 2020
New board waiting to get wet !
4'4 x 18.5 x 3 - 32L
Recess deck, I've been using the recess deck for one year on my foil board and I love it. You are locked in so it makes easier to paddle and you have more control during the flight, more precise when carving and turning.

I don't know how the double concave is gonna work, we will see.

The round pin tail should work good, more forgiven but probably a little more instable than a wide rounded quare tail.

Most important is the weight/stiffness ratio, this board is 5.5lbs (not the lightest but still pretty light), built super strong, fin box won't come out and we won't get any dent.
Stiff board with strong fin box is what you want for a good connection foil to board to rider.

Attachments

Reactions: grendel95
Mar 22, 2020

That was during a trip to the french carribean, this best is not the best for foiling as it gets crowed, but I went once and made sure i stayed far away from the crowd. I had nobody complaining, I always try to be respectful.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
That thing pumps so fast! You went forever on that. I've surfed my regular board lately because the waves have been to big to foil. Plus the one good foil spot is still in a no parking zone. Regular boards are fun, but it's so much easier to find crappy slow waves that are insane to foil on, than head high non-closed out waves.