*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
This episode also demonstrates once again our evolutionary lineage derived from schooling fish.

Guys like oneula are convinced without a doubt that social distancing has proven effective. Hes not stupid, evil or a dupe; rather the certainty comes from group consensus.

You can try and explain that all infectious curves follow the same rise/fall pattern regardless of mitigation measures. But it doesnt matter if the mind is determined to believe a reinforcing consensus.

Thats why this situation is so politically charged - its really no different than religion.

The prosecutors during the spanish inquisition didnt enjoy torture, rather they thought they were doing the victims a favor by driving out the devil and enabling the soul to go heaven.

Thats why the better path is to understand why people think, rather than criticize or insult.

Onealu believes the lockdown worked; i am literally surrounded by neighbors who think/act the same. Still say hi, still exchange tid bits, but no way would i share my opinion, even though they suspect.

Thats because they too get it that it serves no purpose souring relations. Everyone is in the same boat while we patiently wait for freedom.
What about the ones that aren’t sure?
Like, there’s no way to know what would’ve happened if we sis something other than what we did.
In New York City, the virus spread more than other cities. Yes, in nyc, there’s public transportation and there’s elevators and population density
But the outer buroughs, like queens, are pretty similar to any other suburb in a lot of areas. And Queens got hit HARD with it
I live in Nassau county. Typical suburb. With widespread confirmed cases and similar mortality rate to other us locat8ns (I think)
But within Nassau, there’s a huge disparity in the number of cases from town to town. The town I live in is low, and the town next to me is very high, different socioeconomic profiles to the towns. Maybe my town residents quarantined better, or have fewer comorbities? I don’t know, but it’s interesting that this virus is way higher on one side of a parkway than on another,
So it’s not just in the city (Manhattan) , it’s higher here too
Not everyone is hell bent on being right. Some of us really are looking to the experts for answers and guidance. Some of us aren’t that politically aligned that we follow our team’s experts blindly.
I kinda think there’s more people with an open mind, but they’re not quite as vocal as those who are so sure they are right
I mean, yeah, trump is a douchebag, but that doesn’t mean I believe everything cnn or msnbc reports

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
This episode also demonstrates once again our evolutionary lineage derived from schooling fish.

Guys like oneula are convinced without a doubt that social distancing has proven effective. Hes not stupid, evil or a dupe; rather the certainty comes from group consensus.

You can try and explain that all infectious curves follow the same rise/fall pattern regardless of mitigation measures. But it doesnt matter if the mind is determined to believe a reinforcing consensus.

Thats why this situation is so politically charged - its really no different than religion.

The prosecutors during the spanish inquisition didnt enjoy torture, rather they thought they were doing the victims a favor by driving out the devil and enabling the soul to go heaven.

Thats why the better path is to understand why people think, rather than criticize or insult.

Onealu believes the lockdown worked; i am literally surrounded by neighbors who think/act the same. Still say hi, still exchange tid bits, but no way would i share my opinion, even though they suspect.

Thats because they too get it that it serves no purpose souring relations. Everyone is in the same boat while we patiently wait for freedom.
do you think me being descended from a fish had anything to do with me
being a surfer?

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
The econ gloom & doom guys dont seem to understand the end game.

Its why a hard stop can be imposed even in the face of contra indicators.

Ever notice how trump mentions 180+ countries all in same boat? Anyone know how/why dollar std was ceated at bretton woods?

There is going to be a globally coordinated deval. The x factor isnt important; its simply a function of econ loss.

Say, 6 weeks is $10t, 12 weeks $25t and so on. Accrued liabs and arrears get wiped out, while asset values & income are reset higher.

We know this is coming because its openly stated. We know its coming because politicians from either side arent really all that worried.
Can you expand on this? When you say accrued liabilities and arrears get wiped out are you talking about government debts, corporate debts, personal debts or all of the above?

Also, what moves are you making to capitalize on your Mexico uber alles scenario?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Opinion from the restaurant business commonly shared before this started...there are more than twice as many restaurants as there need to be/could possibly be successful. We're going to lose a lot of great, family run, unique food spots, which sucks. We'll also lose a lot of "brew pubs" owned by guys who look like that dude from tiger king, and good riddance.
So, small victories?
There were grumblings about this in LA going back at least a year. There were too many restaurants, or rather, too many casual fine dining/upscale casual, full service restaurants. Hopefully some family owned places that are veterans, and so likely own their buildings outright, can ride this out. But yeah anyplace that opened in the last three years and appeals mostly to hipsters is gonna have trouble, especially if they didn't offer take-out in the past.

Some have gone to full retail mode, now that they can legally sell wine, beer, and even booze to go; some are even selling milk, bread, cheese, fruits and veg, &c, which is convenient for not standing in lines at Trader Joe's or wherever. Restaurant groups are consolidating and selling off their wine cellars through one of their stores/wine bars that normally offers retail. For some it's working. Others have loyal enough followings and have always offered take-out and they are doing OK as well. Some are doing winemaker dinners: You go pick up or have delivered dinner and two bottles of wine, and then get on a Zoom call with the winemaker and chef while you eat.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004

explain our numbers on Oahu then
compared to the rest of the US
Some day we've had zero new cases
How does that happen if the virus is self propagating with no concern to social interaction?
It should have continued to spread no matter what
If you can explain our low numbers then I'd change my mind
but there's no good reason for it based on self propagation

To me if you can maintain zero new cases for 14 days (hopefully that'll be us here in hawaii)
and if you can determine that the info is accurate
you should be able to start to reopen because there's no local unknown source

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Can you expand on this? When you say accrued liabilities and arrears get wiped out are you talking about government debts, corporate debts, personal debts or all of the above?

Yeah @MitchellC can you elaborate on this? What's gonna be wiped and where are you seeing that info. I absolutely agree that politicians on both sides do not seem that worried.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I saw some info that a good portion of the PPP money isn't going to make it to the employees. That businesses are going to use it to pay bills which is allowed. If we can't get the money into the hands of the consumers in a consumer driven economy we won't be able to restart the economy. One idea the CEO of Social Capital tossed out was to just wipe the books of all student loan debt instead of trying to get money out to these individuals, just reduce their expense needs. Some is happening with mortgages going into forebearance where a fed agency will step in to buy them to stabilize that market.

The fed might also reduce the capital requirements for FIs so they can reallocate that extra capital to loan loss reserves like most are already doing.

It's all about trying to stabilize things with out having to print and pump out more money which devalues the dollar.

They really need to start thinking big with some national infrastructure initiatives to get people working who's old job won't be around any more as mentioned by others earlier. Allot of jobs just won't be around due to over redundancy and the lack of consumer capital.

Hopefully not too many starve to death or become house less, but there's a ton of people trying to prevent that on top of all the covid stuff we're working on.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
25% is allowed for bills. 75% has to be payroll.
do you know the answer to this?
We've heard that recipients have to open a separate checking account just for PPP so the government can track and later audit the actual usage of the funds
Is this what you've been told?

Is killing my team all these rush new accounts

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
NYC is a cross road of the planet and crowded. Of course any new buggy is gonna flare up here. My MIL has it and pneumonia. Long Beach with its 7 nursing homes in 4 sq miles is a local hot spot, as are a few other tightly packed and or unhealthy population. but I gots plenty of affluent friends in Affluent burbs who got it. It’s real. It’s not a humanity killer, I think many many people were exposed to it, by some massive percent, versus how many really got ill. But it is a new bug. Scary sh!t in this day and age with connectivity and globalism and NYC with 100,000 Chinese visitors every day. Wash your hands and hope for the best you will likely die some other way

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
do you know the answer to this?
We've heard that recipients have to open a separate checking account just for PPP so the government can track and later audit the actual usage of the funds
Is this what you've been told?

Is killing my team all these rush new accounts
I don't have the answer to that, I wish I did, but, having been an accountant, it sounds like BS.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
NYC is a cross road of the planet and crowded. Of course any new buggy is gonna flare up here. My MIL has it and pneumonia. Long Beach with its 7 nursing homes in 4 sq miles is a local hot spot, as are a few other tightly packed and or unhealthy population. but I gots plenty of affluent friends in Affluent burbs who got it. It’s real. It’s not a humanity killer, I think many many people were exposed to it, by some massive percent, versus how many really got ill. But it is a new bug. Scary sh!t in this day and age with connectivity and globalism and NYC with 100,000 Chinese visitors every day. Wash your hands and hope for the best you will likely die some other way
wait... how many new 5g towers just went up over there?

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka and bigtuna