Issue speed generation on new board

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
so when you recommended 2 lbs, this board has a density of 0.8 lb ??
Depends on what the 36 gram volume measurement is, but the core might be 2 lb. 1 lb / cu ft is 16 grams/liter.
From Surfblanks Australia.

DENSITIES

26 KGM3 = 1.62 Pound

32 KGM3 = 2.0 Pound

Lay off the pies Mate. 185 is probably too heavy for those lightweight stringerless EPS builds if you don’t want the deck crushed.

Last edited:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
There's no way you can shape 0.08 lb EPS. We seem to be having some issues converting from metric to murican.

Densities are lb/cu ft or kg/cu m. Is the foam 36 kg/cu m? Then it would be about 2 lb/cu ft.

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
Depends on what the 36 gram volume measurement is, but the core might be 2 lb. 1 lb / cu ft is 16 grams/liter.
From Surfblanks Australia.

DENSITIES

26 KGM3 = 1.62 Pound

32 KGM3 = 2.0 Pound

Lay off the pies Mate. 185 is probably too heavy for those lightweight stringerless EPS builds if you don’t want the deck crushed.
Well i ve never heard thst you can t be on an epoxy at that weight, heaps of surfers around my weight surfing light epoxies. Epoxy boards goes up to 45 L or so, they are also made for heavier blocks.
Like i said, a mate has a firewire, same weight as me, board after 3 years is in GREAT condition. I own a superbrand Fling, same thing it s in good condition after a year (except rails have cracks) I dont think the issue here is my weight...

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Well i ve never heard thst you can t be on an epoxy at that weight, heaps of surfers around my weight surfing light epoxies. Epoxy boards goes up to 45 L or so, they are also made for heavier blocks.
Like i said, a mate has a firewire, same weight as me, board after 3 years is in GREAT condition. I own a superbrand Fling, same thing it s in good condition after a year (except rails have cracks) I dont think the issue here is my weight...
THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!!!! YOUR BOARD SUCKS CUS ITS MADE FROM AIR AND GLASSED WITH NOTHING!!!!!!

Reactions: MathDebater

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
My kid has a Chilli with a similar build. The nose snapped and he is not even sure how it happened. When I looked at it the glass seemed paper thin. Thinner than what I would consider a standard glass job. Even the Chilli PU glass jobs are overly weak. I think on their site it says something about even using a layer of 2oz. Anyways, neither glass job is durable.

My point was at 185 you are probably going to put big dents in the deck with that stringerless lightweight build. All these big name shapers use the exact same stringerless EPS build and give it some bullshit name like Electralite or JS's Hyfi. These are bullshit weak builds with a strip of carbon that doesn't do anything for durability. Go find a shaper that will build a quality board rather than go brand name with the foofoo EPS "tech." I would think you have heaps of them around you.

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Well not sure if this is standard but after 8 surf only the deck is already full of compression, thought eps boards were stronger. In 3 months the board is going to be destroyed at that rate

What I do is laminate a patch of glass over the heavy compression area, it beefs it up.
You can actually use regular poly resin over Epoxy i found.
Just clean off the wax good, rough it up with 60 grit and then lam.
I had a varial blank that golf balled worse than yours and this helped a lot.

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
What I do is laminate a patch of glass over the heavy compression area, it beefs it up.
You can actually use regular poly resin over Epoxy i found.
Just clean off the wax good, rough it up with 60 grit and then lam.
I had a varial blank that golf balled worse than yours and this helped a lot.
Thanks for the tips but i wouldnt feel comfortable doing this. I emailed the Stacey guys with a photo and shared my honest opinion on the product, they said to bring it to the surf shop so they can chat together. If nothing happens then well I ll resell it for what it s worth and will not buy for them again :cautious:. Next time I want an EPS I ll look for more info

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
http://instagr.am/p/B_HPgmunrdT/
It's probably a good idea to start talking with a shaper that has his eye on all aspects of the build

Dylan is similar height and weight to you
I was literally just about to post this.
When I picked up my two new shooters from him, for the now-cancelled Sumbawa trip, I had a fondle of his EPS/Epoxy models and they came out super light even with the heavy duty glassing. He has a "carbon rod" version too, but that's slightly heavier.

I may be considering getting the same fatboy EPS board too :p (thinking of the same boar he posted, but 5.10, 20, 2 9/16)

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
My kid has a Chilli with a similar build. The nose snapped and he is not even sure how it happened. When I looked at it the glass seemed paper thin. Thinner than what I would consider a standard glass job. Even the Chilli PU glass jobs are overly weak. I think on their site it says something about even using a layer of 2oz. Anyways, neither glass job is durable.

My point was at 185 you are probably going to put big dents in the deck with that stringerless lightweight build. All these big name shapers use the exact same stringerless EPS build and give it some bullshit name like Electralite or JS's Hyfi. These are bullshit weak builds with a strip of carbon that doesn't do anything for durability. Go find a shaper that will build a quality board rather than go brand name with the foofoo EPS "tech." I would think you have heaps of them around you.
I've got OP by a solid 50# and my Black Dart has very little denting as does my Corevac. Aviso also held up well for me, although I never hit it hard enough to ding, the deck denting was 0.

I think not all stringerless EPS are created equal. Corevac I guess is more of a regional Florida thing, but Black Dart I think maybe Californians can get that without too much trouble?

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Sorry I mean the pu/pe.

they've been really well made.
Yea, this is consistent with my experience with surfing 2 Pyzels that came out of that factory. Come to think of it, my brother in law is a 6.4 95KG unit, and surfs a Hammo stringered PU with epoxy resin board (also glassed. by the glass lab), and is also holding up really well.

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
To close the chapter, the guys at Stacey are happy to send me a new one as they are surprised this is happening considering the feedback they had over the last few years on the board. Great customer service. I m happy they give me the benefit of the doubt

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
To close the chapter, the guys at Stacey are happy to send me a new one as they are surprised this is happening considering the feedback they had over the last few years on the board. Great customer service. I m happy they give me the benefit of the doubt
Great customer service, and result for you.