Clip of Kelly on a Webber

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
So stringer-less EPS with a roundish nose, a deep single concave "to provide lift" and a high wing.

I'm going to go make a bowl of popcorn...

EDIT: That was surprisingly restrained. What a disappointment. Oh well. Cancel the popcorn. There goes my day.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Interesting design theory comments in the article about parallel rail lines giving “grip” as well as the single concave vs double concave grip-to-lift comparison.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Dang. How far up are those fins? I would love to try that board to see how badly I’d flail.

Reactions: jkb

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
Dang. How far up are those fins? I would love to try that board to see how badly I’d flail.
yep, that's the first thing I notice, far up fin placement . like. would love to see a rocker shot on this board.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
A wing like that becomes the new tail block
Whats behind it can become just a trailing surface
Move the fins up and Voila ! Retodds next board
http://instagr.am/p/B_KIKJMpt5g/
What ya reckon, should I order one up ?

Be fun to have you make a fin set for it .

Could be the Greg boar

Shaped by Gregg Weber
Glassed by Greg Webber
Flex fins by Greg Trotter
Fins ( g-10 stiffies) by Greg Griffin

Cheee huuu

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
The only thing that stands out to me as not looking good is that he's not throwing a lot of spray. With the exception of 1-2 turns, the spray is underwhelming for his placement of the turn and how much body movement he's doing. He should be moving a lot more water.

Reactions: oeste858

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The only thing that stands out to me as not looking good is that he's not throwing a lot of spray. With the exception of 1-2 turns, the spray is underwhelming for his placement of the turn and how much body movement he's doing. He should be moving a lot more water.
He does a check turn at 1:26 that throws the most.

PS: quads throw less spray. Wanna throw spray? Big center fin. Little knubster no bueno for spay.

PSS: Thrown spray is a waste product. it’s a result of inefficiency. Not always a good thing. Not always a bad thing.

look at tow board turns and on the extreme end, foils. No spray, high speed.

I always thought getting extra points in contests for bigger spray was kind of dumb.

Dirty secret - the whole “quads for barrels and thrusters for turns” idea (from tour surfers) is based in part on the fact that thruster throw more spray.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
"making in essence, a 5-finned board. All the down the line speed of a quad with the drive of a thruster!"

How loose that board is set up gives you good insight to the feel Kelly likes .
I was thinking just that. (Edit: looks like he's on ball bearings. Remember thinking the same a few years back at Snapper, sliding back from roundhouse cutties)

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Surfs fast and loose. Kinda looks like when he first jumped back on an Akila twin last year. Although it did look- to me- a bit slippy when he comes out of some of the snaps to head back down the line.
Would be fun to try one. That fin cluster is so spread out.

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
Looked good to me. After reading the comments, was expecting to see something average. Would be stoked if my session was like that.