Your BEST surf trip, EVER!

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
We need some surf stoke up in this beeotch!
What's the best surf trip you've ever had, and what made it so memorable? If you have pics
to go along with your post, even better, but stories are appreciated.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Reactions: flyinraptr and jkb

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Simon CB edit 1.jpg
Tavarua Last may. posted often hereabouts ;) 12 days straight of the best those reefs have to offer, from chest high Tavi rights to TOH cloudbreak, even scord overhead Wilke's with only 5 of us out. Met and surfed and talked shop with Ryan Burch, just an epic experience with a great group of guests, many of whom we are still in close contact with

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Kauai over 2 weeks at Thanksgiving was also one for the ages. tons of surf for 2 weeks, one of my personal best sessions at Wa....0 with Tati, Seas Bass, and 2 other decent visiting surfers, and Bonzer on the beach spectating
IMG_0110.jpgIMG_0125.jpgIMG_0195.jpgIMG_0197.jpg

Reactions: flyinraptr

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
oz. 6 mo. bought a car.
6 K miles far and wide but no WA or SA.
scads of surf and a sheilah or two to boot.
even checked out NZ which kinda iced the cake.

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Drove up to Washington 6 years ago and scored! Slept in a tent, ate at the local diner 2 times a day, and hung out in the county library in the afternoon.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
took a random trip to Bali in the off season October 2015 cause a friend had an extra ticket. been there before and wasnt planning on going back anytime soon but we scored 3 weeks of relatively uncrowded waves at the premier spots - OH to DOH the whole time except maybe one or two days here and there. Got many great waves I would have never been able to compete for if it was June/July down there and didnt hit the reef once.

Reactions: gbg

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
My honeymoon in 2016. Stayed 12 nights at Las Brisas in Huatulco. Dawn patrol every day but one. Overhead every day. Clean to epic conditions. Surfed with just my guide and one of his friends 9 of the 11 days I surfed. The boat trip was epic. Wife loved it. Turtles. Dolphins, whales.

Slabsplease

OTF status
Mar 5, 2015
Tavarua when it was privatized...had multiple sessions at Rest and CB with just me the boatman, one or two others, trippin and going off
Galapagos ALL TIME...No one out anywhere...felt like I was on the moon with the scenery topography surroundings...
Newport was fun today...peace

Reactions: CutnSnip

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
The week of the 2016 election I flew out to California with my two boys and caught what was probably one of the best swells if not the best swell Southern California got that year. We had non-stop waves for 8 days and either glassy or offshore conditions every day. 2 long sessions every day in perfect conditions everywhere we went. Perhaps not what some of you would call a great surf trip especially if you live there anyway but for a dad taking his two boys on a trip it was a pretty special one.

Below is a screen shot of a video (not me) from the biggest day of our stay. The smallest it was during our stay that trip was shoulder high.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Abreojos a million years ago. Drove down that washboard road through that godawful desert and off in the distance it came into view and it was FIRING! Our stoke meter was pegged at a million. We camped pretty much where this guy did and had just about the same view.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
First Vietnam trip.

A guy I met from a surf trip, and hardly knew, emailed me and said he was going. I just booked a ticket and went without knowing what I was getting into.

I met up with him and two other guys in the hinterland.

I thought they knew each other but nobody knew anyone.

They all met online.

They were a cast of characters.

We found a secret point break.

There were no tourists when we went. The entire village would turn out when we showed up with our boards.

It's changed so much in the last 10 years.

You don't do a Vietnam trip for surf but if you get surf it's fun.

Last edited:

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
The week of the 2016 election I flew out to California with my two boys and caught what was probably one of the best swells if not the best swell Southern California got that year. We had non-stop waves for 8 days and either glassy or offshore conditions every day. 2 long sessions every day in perfect conditions everywhere we went. Perhaps not what some of you would call a great surf trip especially if you live there anyway but for a dad taking his two boys on a trip it was a pretty special one.

Below is a screen shot of a video (not me) from the biggest day of our stay. The smallest it was during our stay that trip was shoulder high.

I had friends from Delaware in town that week. We got Blacks, Trestles, IB all firing.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
1982. I was surfing in Biarritz and decided to hop over the border to San Sebastian. Instead I ended up in Peniche, Portugal. Surfed Supertubos for a week with two French surfers ( one went on to become a pro- Eric Graciet). Quite the adventure back then for a 20 year old.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Abreojos a million years ago. Drove down that washboard road through that godawful desert and off in the distance it came into view and it was FIRING! Our stoke meter was pegged at a million. We camped pretty much where this guy did and had just about the same view.

Is it really that close to the rocks?

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
1982. I was surfing in Biarritz and decided to hop over the border to San Sebastian. Instead I ended up in Peniche, Portugal. Surfed Supertubos for a week with two French surfers ( one went on to become a pro- Eric Graciet). Quite the adventure back then for a 20 year old.
I watched a guy with a peg leg on a longboard charge double overhead Supertubos. That was a sight to behold.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I had friends from Delaware in town that week. We got Blacks, Trestles, IB all firing.
Had the longest wave of my life at Trestles on the biggest day. I was on a 6'6 and it took me over an hour to get one of the bomb sets away from the guys on big boards. Linked 3 peaks together.

Here is one of my pics from that trip on 11/6 Ian Cairns at T-Street. My youngest is the 3rd paddler to the right of Ian. (the one closest to the guy paddling over the top of the wave) He was 11 and still pretty little on this trip. At that stage in his life that was probably the biggest wave he'd ever encountered. He got so annihilated by that wave but put it all together and went out there and rode a bunch of waves.