San Jose del Cabo’s in July

sublime74

Miki Dora status
Jan 13, 2010
my 1st time and wonder if we can bring eps boards in July to los Cabos? Must be hot, so far got info to stay in San Jose to surf zippers and the rock but is there any spots for lefts? :) thanks everyone in advance for all tips and recommendations

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
sure any board works down there and not a concern. Beach break has peaks and one other towards Cabo. Crappy left off the rock and more a right.

Used to go there all the time but work summers with winters off now. Last time I was there was more crowded than I ever saw it. Ccchhhhhhannnngess suck.

Used to camp on the East Cape for about a Month and that's even changing. You'll get some waves although mostly rights. Have fun

sublime74

Miki Dora status
Jan 13, 2010
sure any board works down there and not a concern. Beach break has peaks and one other towards Cabo. Crappy left off the rock and more a right.

Used to go there all the time but work summers with winters off now. Last time I was there was more crowded than I ever saw it. Ccchhhhhhannnngess suck.

Used to camp on the East Cape for about a Month and that's even changing. You'll get some waves although mostly rights. Have fun
Sweeet at least I could bring my magic eps boards for groveling to average waves!!

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Wave Looks way better than any zippers video footage from YouTube I’ve seen hope Coronavirus won’t be in a way by July to travel with a peace of mind
I have more photos of this day. Its actually The Rock and it was pumping that day. I didnt get any of it though. Leaving that day, boards packed already and battling Staph Infection.

The unknown for sure :(

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Good luck at zippers lol
I have more photos of this day. Its actually The Rock and it was pumping that day. I didnt get any of it though. Leaving that day, boards packed already and battling Staph Infection.
Post em, that's more than pumping, that's borderline macking.

Zippers has never been the same since the harbor in San Jose went in. All the loc's go the to Rock now, Zippers is actually less of a hassle than before. Want to go left? Hit up the estuary. Shipwrecks is soooo easy now too. Rent a longboar and go left at Old Mans. You got's some options.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
EXACTY. Zipper got f^cked up although its been starting to improve the last few years. And yes they moved to the Rock which was mostly fun with little attitudes. Last few times i surfed there it wasn't fun with all the attitudes.

And right in front of Las Olas it can get fun now that the outer reef was blasted/chisled off in the middle of the night. Got a couple from there thru Zippers and some from the top of Old mans past the rock

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
The only time I was ever sent in was at Zippers. It was classic.

It had been flat for a while, then they ran the QS event during the swell. I paddled out, mid morning, the day after the contest finished and it was PACKED. The QS'ers had enough and were gone, but their were probably at least 25 guys out but the same 4-5 were getting the set waves. A couple surfed ok, the others were pretty bad, but they could catch waves. I waited a while, got an in betweener, and one of the long haired Mexican dudes paddled on the shoulder. I was on my backhand and high lined past him and heard him yell, but I kept surfing. As I paddled back up the point and sat inside of the pack, shoulder hopper starts screaming from the top of the point, "Fuck You Gringo". "No Gringos Allowed!".

I caught another wave a little while later in the little grom bowl. I paddled halfway back up and Shoulder Hopper surfs halfway down the point, kicks out next to me, bee lines it toward me "You don't understand?!, Get the fuck out"!

I answered, "No entiendo, what's is the problem?" I had not hassled anyone. I didn't drop in on anyone. I caught 2 waves to the other people's 4-5 waves. But he wasn't having it.

"Go in! No fucking Gringos!".

I sat there baffled for a moment, the groms looked at me and said "sorry, he's crazy". THen I paddled in.

I couldn't stop laughing at the whole scene. I packed up, caught my flight an hour later, and headed home.

Reactions: BajaBoojum

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
The only time I was ever sent in was at Zippers. It was classic.

It had been flat for a while, then they ran the QS event during the swell. I paddled out, mid morning, the day after the contest finished and it was PACKED. The QS'ers had enough and were gone, but their were probably at least 25 guys out but the same 4-5 were getting the set waves. A couple surfed ok, the others were pretty bad, but they could catch waves. I waited a while, got an in betweener, and one of the long haired Mexican dudes paddled on the shoulder. I was on my backhand and high lined past him and heard him yell, but I kept surfing. As I paddled back up the point and sat inside of the pack, shoulder hopper starts screaming from the top of the point, "fook You Gringo". "No Gringos Allowed!".

I caught another wave a little while later in the little grom bowl. I paddled halfway back up and Shoulder Hopper surfs halfway down the point, kicks out next to me, bee lines it toward me "You don't understand?!, Get the fook out"!

I answered, "No entiendo, what's is the problem?" I had not hassled anyone. I didn't drop in on anyone. I caught 2 waves to the other people's 4-5 waves. But he wasn't having it.

"Go in! No fucking Gringos!".

I sat there baffled for a moment, the groms looked at me and said "sorry, he's crazy". THen I paddled in.

I couldn't stop laughing at the whole scene. I packed up, caught my flight an hour later, and headed home.
Yeah this is why I said good luck. Saw a blonde guy get jumped by five guys half his size just for being gringo

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Yeah this is why I said good luck. Saw a blonde guy get jumped by five guys half his size just for being gringo
Ive surfed Zippers heaps of times just like other spots around the world with no beefs. Did I get dropped in on? Yes for sure, but also wasn't thrown out or beat up. Have a good attitude and dont be a dick and you'll get waves.

Having spent a lot of time in Cabo I get why they have attitudes. Planes land every few minutes with donkeys wanting a lot of waves because they only have a few days there.

Had to tell a guy at the rock to chill the f^ck out of he was going to get his ass beat. I knew the local guys and they were going to Brick him on the beach. Dude was like I only have a couple days to get a bunch of waves. He was warned and they swarmed him in the water, lucky it wasn't on land. He retreated to Old Mans never to return.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Ive surfed Zippers heaps of times just like other spots around the world with no beefs. Did I get dropped in on? Yes for sure, but also wasn't thrown out or beat up. Have a good attitude and dont be a dick and you'll get waves.
That is typically my experience. This case was a novelty

Having spent a lot of time in Cabo I get why they have attitudes. Planes land every few minutes with donkeys wanting a lot of waves because they only have a few days there.
Yep. That was the way I took it. Then you sprinkle 100 or so pro and want to be pro surfers and their travel mates for a contest that hogs the swell. I empathized.

Reactions: grg

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Was supposed to be going in a couple weeks..stupid virus

Last trip 2 years ago, surfed the rock and it was like surfing good Leo Carrillo: crowd was mellow but competitive.

Is Zippers very sensitive to swell direction? I figured i would be surfing there mostly, but it was breaking really quick, unmakeable on the sets. Everyone was at the rock.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Was supposed to be going in a couple weeks..stupid virus

Last trip 2 years ago, surfed the rock and it was like surfing good Leo Carrillo: crowd was mellow but competitive.

Is Zippers very sensitive to swell direction? I figured i would be surfing there mostly, but it was breaking really quick, unmakeable on the sets. Everyone was at the rock.
Zippers used to be a fun wave but suffered greatly after they did the Marina down the way. Its been slowly getting better but pretty shitty now. Thats why The Rock is so crowded now. Two spots used to keep the crowds down but now at one zone now.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Zippers used to be a fun wave but suffered greatly after they did the Marina down the way. Its been slowly getting better but pretty shitty now. Thats why The Rock is so crowded now. Two spots used to keep the crowds down but now at one zone now.
Zipper's had a natural channel/riptide, you could ride every wave all the way to shore, never worried about close out. Now the channel is filled in, the ride is now, take off, pump, pump, hammmer.

The rock has a takeoff zone the size of a kitchen table. Pretty hard to get waves, plus it's a bit tide dependent. What's the story on the outer reef between Zips and the Rock getting blasted? I've caught fun ones off that thing, just don't ride too far and wind up in the urchin garden. That inside left is like a Play-doh factory machine.