Refuckulation thread.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Nice work, clammy. Are you making any wings from scratch or just modding old wings?

I'm gonna get started on the canards. Grendel is bringing his first aluminum rig over as a starting point.gonna play w cad files to figure out surface area and make some new wings out of fiberglass panels I have lying around.

Feb 10, 2019
So Clammy, what's the story on the cut 210? did you cut it and not like how it flys then put it back together? How did it ride?

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Nice work, clammy. Are you making any wings from scratch or just modding old wings?

I'm gonna get started on the canards. Grendel is bringing his first aluminum rig over as a starting point.gonna play w cad files to figure out surface area and make some new wings out of fiberglass panels I have lying around.
Hey ghostie, I’m making stabs from scratch atm. I just got a heeeeeap of carbon fabric so I’m running a few ideas, curved panels, made one by infusion etc..one is basalt core/carbon infused. That one worked pretty good..I’m figuring now that I can drop the carbon content and cost if I lay up in several different directions to maintain stiffness...PITA to cut it all up, but idle hands do the devil’s work.

The main wings unfortunately have been a bit of a downer as I blew up my first vac pump trying to bag the first of the glider wings lol. Let’s just say I treat my pumps like I treat my car......That was my GL140 tribute. I salvaged most of the core but the butthurt is savage. Got a new pump though......

John, that is my very much cherished 210. I’d had a few drinks, I noticed the hacksaw trying to get my attention from across the bar, tryed to ignore her..but the jungle drums were beating and we both woke up feeling used.

So it was 800mm, turned awesome. Wasn’t significantly faster but really fitted into waves really nicely. It was a bit less pumpy, but honestly I could’ve probably gotten used to it I think. I bogged it back on because I enjoy the gluttony of the bigger wing. Pure ocean pillage at the low end.

Feb 10, 2019
seems like you really need a GL140, I think it is basically exactly what you were going for on your chopped 210. I don't have a 180 which is the same wingspan as the 210, but I don't think I need it with the 140 and 210 combo. 140 fits into waves so much better and has surprisingly good lift, just can't go as slow. who want's to go slow anyway?

Reactions: Clamsmasher

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
My mock 140 is complete, yesterday got a chance to give it a go.
It worked well overall.
No humming or singing, so it appears my second diy wing attempt is square/true.
Noticably less drag than Iwa/Kai, hard to say if I was going faster but definitely feels more slippery, with less resistance in the water.
Also really loose, scary at first, turning attempts led to big wipeouts. Going to take some time to dial-in. By session end I could make swooping turns pretty readily, but tight turns feel slidey.
Less lift than Iwa for sure and I think Kai too, if speed drops it will fall off foil ... but also seemed like it may pump better, was able to keep going in nothing waves (I am not yet a pump monkey, can pump on a wave, but no flat water pumping).

I sure would like to try a real 140 to know how it compares, especially if the turned down wingtips make it less skatey. Maybe that will be V3 project.gl140.jpggl140copy.JPG

Feb 10, 2019
I found the GL140 rides very loose directionally with the flat gofoil tail. A lot of people say they like it with the KAI tail, and others like the new gofoil tail with turned up tips. I haven't got to try it any other way yet.

Reactions: juandesooka
Jan 12, 2020
Juan, KDMaui says that a tail with some up or down tips, or any sort of vertical change really, helps with that skate.

This is probably why chopping helps the big surf bings feel skatey, but with the high aspect it might be good to have more stability from the tail.

I’d try a tail with anhedral or dihedral for sure.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Juan, KDMaui says that a tail with some up or down tips, or any sort of vertical change really, helps with that skate.

This is probably why chopping helps the big surf bings feel skatey, but with the high aspect it might be good to have more stability from the tail.

I’d try a tail with anhedral or dihedral for sure.
Thanks cowboy...I was using the kai tail, so I think that would help. Put another way, if using a flat tail too it would be way worse! And I am not saying it was a bad thing, felt kinda cool and with practice will probably be really fun. It was a little scary on first turn attempts though.

I use the Stringy (Stringfellow) foil for kiting. Dead flat G10. The front wing has little winglets that screw on, but I was told they are for safety not performance (so that it doesn't end as a sword point if you fall on it). I made a copy without winglets, just a little nub at the tip, and I've never had any yaw issues ... though kiting is higher speed and with a force pulling to lean against, so it's quite difference.

stringy.jpg

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Probox bonzer runners glued in to make winglets. It turns soooo much easier than the standard 210, with slightly less pump.
Jury is out overall for prone, but it was awesome for winging....didn’t have to fight to heel it over.

69CE5852-5F80-43F0-8AD2-05FADDF1DB03.jpegF9E3059F-F472-42FE-9AD7-AFE113F3DE09.jpegDE4751B7-5185-4D42-B45F-9AB8CB430716.jpeg

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
A foiling friend of mine has built a front wing crossed between a Sig 175 Stealth & a NP Medium Slim.
Looked like it went pretty good from what I could see (78cm wing span).

Last edited:
Reactions: grendel95
Mar 20, 2019
Hey clamsmasher, how hard would it be to convert a gofoil gl wing to fit an axis fuselage? I haven't seen a gl wing up close, but was thinking sand/cut down top surface to create flat area for mount and drill holes.

Saw a guy with a GL wing on his Armstrong setup yesterday and it got me curious.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
snipped refuckulating
Hey Clamsmasher: I am embarking on more wing making.
Question 1: I made a simple dead flat GL180 and GL 140 copy, but find it pretty skatey, so I want to do another with some curve. I was planning on downward tips, but now that you've broke the mold and experienced both, which would you recommend, down tips or up tips?
Question 2: the GL high aspect speed experiment doesn't really work properly with the big maliko/kai tail anchors. So I want to get a flat stab on there. I have a half dozen G10 kite wings to choose from, as well as some spitfires on the way. I may drill holes to suit and use your scary but effective looking screw on method. Or I may make a GL copy with building a fuselage attachment. If so, the question...dead flat or add winglets, like this screen shot below? Either these are a new version or a prototype

1592186390147.png

Feb 10, 2019
I'm pretty the flow will be a complete turbulent ball around the fuselage and therefore, the drag will be much more related to wetted area than related to streamlining. That's a technical explanation for my suggestion to just use Clammy's drill/helicoil and bolt on method, rather than trying to make a version of the pedestal mount. I think it will be negligible difference in drag even though the pedestal looks much more streamlined.