7'6" Von Sol mini HPTC twinzer

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Picked up this beauty from Mattison the other day.
7'6" x 22" x 3" with nice, foiled rails and tail. I've loved the 9'3" HPTC I got a couple years back and
it's been one of my go-to boards when waves aren't optimal, yet still insane in good waves. Wanted
a true mid-length as it's been one of few realms I haven't dabbled in design-wise. Was close to ordering
from a couple others, but remembered Sean having made a couple of these as 2+1's with rave reviews
and always thought it would be an easy transition from all of my boards, so we discussed doing it
as a twinzer with a center box for lots of options. So....here she is:IMG_3899.JPGIMG_3897.JPGIMG_3898.JPG

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
The only issue I’ve had with midlengths is that they don’t really have a gas pedal. Parmy Stubbs vector is only exceptiom
I agree and prefer them more in the thigh to chest high range. My 70's G&S has a bit more low end though and just overal better trim than the other mid's OIve tried. Besides, it's a great excuse to wear my op corduroys.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Cmon, SBD. With your quiver, you don't really reach for a midlength when it's chest-high! I've found I rarely surf my 7'2" Mast single nowadays, as I've found several sub-5'8" designs that work in small/soft waves. I almost always reach for the minisim over it even if the waves are gutless. I have zero desire to surf a bigger board from the tail "like a shortboard", so it's really just if I want to catch a ton of waves, and feel like cruisin. Just my personal preference.

Oceanslide- board looks great. Twinzer would be interesting. Hope it goes good for you. I bet you end up riding the 9'3" a lot less now.

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Best eggy thing I ever rode was an obliterated Takayama. The rounded nose had been split open and was delamming, but the rocker on it was gold

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Cmon, SBD. With your quiver, you don't really reach for a midlength when it's chest-high! I've found I rarely surf my 7'2" Mast single nowadays, as I've found several sub-5'8" designs that work in small/soft waves. I almost always reach for the minisim over it even if the waves are gutless. I have zero desire to surf a bigger board from the tail "like a shortboard", so it's really just if I want to catch a ton of waves, and feel like cruisin. Just my personal preference.

Oceanslide- board looks great. Twinzer would be interesting. Hope it goes good for you. I bet you end up riding the 9'3" a lot less now.

Just the sweet spot for me at least. For the tiny stuff I definitely prefer the short and stubby.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I had about 30-40 minutes of hh+ dumpy and shifty low-tide waves on the first go-out and it
was certainly not the right board for the job, although I did get one HH runner where the board just
flew.
I got out today mid-morning in soft, high tide waves to get a feel.
I really enjoyed it. Part of the reason I wanted something like this is that there are many times locally
where there's swell, but the high tide makes it a PITA to get into waves, even on something like a Manta.
A longboard works, but sometimes the waves have opportunities to smack a lip, do wraparounds, etc.
that aren't ideal on a log. My longest board before the 9'3" HPTC is a 6'4" VS Time Machine, so I really
just wanted something for those between days, as I have the other bases covered. I think this board
hits the target. Today was peak high-tide when I paddled out, and most were struggling on small boards,
but there were waves. Soft. I was able to very quickly pick off several mediocre waves that either
backed off right away, requiring a carve back into the whitewater, or that ran a bit down the line. This
continued for a couple hours. I can surf this board off or the tail and pump like a 'normal' board and
drive off of the fins, or step forward and trim it from the middle to connect sections, and it's easy to do
both given the shorter length than a LB. It does not paddle like a LB, but I didn't expect it to. It paddles
much better than my stubby boards (manta, etc) and catches waves easily that would be a struggle
on my other non-LB options. I can drive off the tail with the twinzer setup and put the board on rail
to drive through a turn and not lose any momentum to connect fat sections. Basically, it does what
I hoped it would do and I look forward to much more testing with different fins, etc.
Ran VS large twins and canards with a center-box nub so far. Much tinkering to do.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I need more stock

Please install twinzer fin setup and post pix yo
This is what I ran first off. Large VS twins and canards with center box nub.
Felt pretty good right off the bat. Have several other twin sets with slightly different tab placements
I'll play with in the future. Note: I asked Sean to set the canards with less overlap than he usually does (he likes much
more than others), but that didn't happen. With that said, the board works great as is and I'll figure out the best
twin+canard option and more.

IMG_3904.JPG
IMG_3905.JPG

Last edited: