10 Myths About Lower Back Pain (LBP)

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
running
From Leah Lutz @barbell medicine

Repeat the following circuit 3-5 times. Rest 1-3 minutes between rounds based on tolerance, goals, and current fitness levels.

• Leg exercise x 8-30 reps
  • Upper Body exercise x 8 -30 reps
  • Upper Body exercise x 8- 30 reps
  • Trunk exercise x near-failure effort*
  • Conditioning exercise x near failure effort*
*The near-failure effort means that you would do whatever trunk or conditioning exercise you choose to near failure, e.g. within 5 reps of voluntary failure or within ~20 seconds of you having to stop

The rep ranges are wide to allow for a variety of different exercises based on your preferences and a range of different loading. Here are some sample exercises for each group:

Leg Exercises w/o Equipment
Squat
Split Squat
Lunge
Reverse Lunge
Cossack Squats
One Legged Bird Squats
Nordic Hamstring Curl
Reverse Nordics
Glute Bridge

Upper Body Exercises w/o Equipment
Push-Up, standard grip (tempo, paused, etc.)
Push-Up, narrow grip
Push-Up, Wide grip
Frog Push-ups
Deficit Push-ups (hands on books or elevated surface)
Decline Push-ups(feet up on elevated surface)
Superman with Y,T, or I shoulder raise
Press-up from forearms

Core Exercises w/o Equipment

V-sit
V-up
Plank
Side Plank
Hollow Rocks
Sit-ups
Conditioning w/o Equipment
Running/jogging
Walking
Jumping Jacks
High knees
Running Planks/Mountain Climbers
Burpees

And here is a sample of how to put it all together using stuff from around the house, where applicable:

4 rounds of:

• Squats with book bag + a few heavy books - max reps in 30 seconds. Rest 15 seconds.
  • Pushups, normal grip with book bag - max reps in 30 seconds. Rest 15 seconds.
  • Superman with I - 20 reps
  • Situps- max reps in 30 seconds. Rest 15 seconds.
  • High Knees x 30 seconds.
  • Rest 1 minute.
Obviously, the combinations are endless and there are a lot of bodyweight exercises to do, especially if you have access to a few toys (read: weights) at home. For more workouts and ideas, keep your eyes peeled for the new template release that's likely taking place tomorrow March 16th. Tons of different options there!
Running /Jogging to near failure... means 18+ miles?

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
We're going to have to test your urine.
*The near-failure effort means that you would do whatever trunk or conditioning exercise you choose to near failure, e.g. within 5 reps of voluntary failure or within ~20 seconds of you having to stop

Before my back spasm I was running 13 miles every weekend. It was nothing strenuous, just my weekend run. Even since my back sent me faulty(?) nerve signals, I've done a few 10 mile runs no problem. So to run/jog to within "20 seconds of failure" for me would be at least 15, probably 18 miles right now. Since I'm not training I doubt I could do a 20 or 22 mile run...but 15 I know I could do tomorrow.

I'm looking at my back problem as a blessing in disguise. I never used to do any strength training at all, maybe occasional push ups. Now instead , I've rested for two days and am so looking forward to training tomorrow. I'm hungry to get stronger. I really like Alan Thrall's- 1 pull up 2 pushups, 2 pull ups 4 pushups, 3 pull-ups 6 pushups...to failure and then work backwards routine. I also think tomorrow I'll have my daughter video me doing my 75lb deadlifts just to compare it to the form videos I've been watching. Since I'm just starting the deadlifts and the weight seems easy, should I do more reps? Like 2 or 3 sets of 5? Or more?

ps I canceled this weeks PT because I've had a cough for while.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr J

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
do you need shoes? I just do the stuff barefoot on a concrete garage.
For something like a lunge on my living room floor a pair of those silly rubber Crocs provides enough arch support for me to be comfortable. However unless you have hyper mobile feet aka flat feet like me it might not be important. Plus not everyone with flat feet gets problems from it.

Surfing displaced a bone in my back foot just from pushing into the tail in turns - didn't hurt, but there was a funny bump below the ankle bone above the arch. I was given exercises to correct it by a podiatrist, but that alone didn't fix it - by using ankle strapping tape everything gradually went back in place and I can maintain it that way. My physique is not as odd as it sounds however, flat feet are fairly common with SEA people and I have followed that side of me, including the very slightly built frame which some have. However not all are like that, some are stocky and with short legs and arms they are good at weightlifting, but not me. it would be nice to be strong, but there are some compensations - the flat foot is more shock absorbing and I am handling all the barefoot sand running I have introduced to throw down my skimboard, flexor soreness aside lol. Squatting right down into a sideslip with feet flat on the skimboard is also easy. Plus here in regional Vic on the open ocean even the smallest swell day is HPSB material.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
So after two days rest my butt still hurt, so I'm thinking- rest is not a cure. So today I did a run, stairs, the pull up push up to failure routine, planks, deadlifts and did the squats with empty bar. I'd been doing them with the 10 lb dumbbells so it's a step up.

I get dizzy when I do the valsalva during the deadlift, like when you stand up too fast from sitting or lying down. VM, is that a common occurrence for beginners, or might this have to do with my heart condition? My cardiologist told me the valsalva was not dangerous, but he did warn me against lifting really heavy weights. I would not consider 65 lbs heavy.

I also tried to do some pop ups on the beach today. No way. Very painful. Fuk!

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Welp.

My discectomy surgery scheduled for next Friday has been officially cancelled with no reschedule date in sight.

I guess I'll be monitoring how long it takes for a ruptured disc to heal itself.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
So after two days rest my butt still hurt, so I'm thinking- rest is not a cure. So today I did a run, stairs, the pull up push up to failure routine, planks, deadlifts and did the squats with empty bar. I'd been doing them with the 10 lb dumbbells so it's a step up.

I get dizzy when I do the valsalva during the deadlift, like when you stand up too fast from sitting or lying down. VM, is that a common occurrence for beginners, or might this have to do with my heart condition? My cardiologist told me the valsalva was not dangerous, but he did warn me against lifting really heavy weights. I would not consider 65 lbs heavy.

I also tried to do some pop ups on the beach today. No way. Very painful. Fuk!
You are not going for a strong man competition so why are you doing the valsalva in the first place? You should not be getting light headed while lifting or doing anything else for that matter. It's like the dick stroking that goes on in the threads about the millimeter of your fin not sitting flush and its hampering your performance so you have to those custom made ones that sit just perfect. You are trying to get better and maintain yourself maximum optimization is unnecessary.

From an NIH study:

"We assessed the effect of four voluntary breathing conditions on maximal voluntary isometric force of large muscle groups. Ten subjects performed maximum voluntary isometric contractions (MVIC) of knee flexion and extension, shoulder abduction and adduction, and elbow flexion and extension under all breathing conditions: normal breathing, forced inhalation, forced exhalation, and the Valsalva maneuver (VM). Forced exhalation significantly increased peak force during shoulder adduction, elbow extension and knee extension MVIC tasks (p=0.001, p=0.024, p=0.002, respectively); the peak force during the Valsalva maneuver was not different from forced exhalation for all tested muscle groups. No voluntary breathing condition appeared to influence the peak force during knee flexion, elbow flexion and shoulder abduction MVIC tasks. The results demonstrate that voluntary breathing imposes a significant impact on isometric muscle strength. Given increased cardiovascular risks associated with the Valsalva maneuver, it is highly recommended that forced exhalation should be used during exercises at maximal levels, especially in repetitive repetitions.

And I know blah blah blah some other bullshit study says the opposite. Bottom line you should not get light headed while exercising, especially when you are not lifting heavy.

Reactions: Mr J

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
You are not going for a strong man competition so why are you doing the valsalva in the first place? You should not be getting light headed while lifting or doing anything else for that matter. It's like the dick stroking that goes on in the threads about the millimeter of your fin not sitting flush and its hampering your performance so you have to those custom made ones that sit just perfect. You are trying to get better and maintain yourself maximum optimization is unnecessary.

From an NIH study:

"We assessed the effect of four voluntary breathing conditions on maximal voluntary isometric force of large muscle groups. Ten subjects performed maximum voluntary isometric contractions (MVIC) of knee flexion and extension, shoulder abduction and adduction, and elbow flexion and extension under all breathing conditions: normal breathing, forced inhalation, forced exhalation, and the Valsalva maneuver (VM). Forced exhalation significantly increased peak force during shoulder adduction, elbow extension and knee extension MVIC tasks (p=0.001, p=0.024, p=0.002, respectively); the peak force during the Valsalva maneuver was not different from forced exhalation for all tested muscle groups. No voluntary breathing condition appeared to influence the peak force during knee flexion, elbow flexion and shoulder abduction MVIC tasks. The results demonstrate that voluntary breathing imposes a significant impact on isometric muscle strength. Given increased cardiovascular risks associated with the Valsalva maneuver, it is highly recommended that forced exhalation should be used during exercises at maximal levels, especially in repetitive repetitions.

And I know blah blah blah some other bullshit study says the opposite. Bottom line you should not get light headed while exercising, especially when you are not lifting heavy.
Your post is stupid.

Minor muscle group extension has nothing to do with the squat or deadlift.

The Valsava isn't for force production, it took a real lack of reading comprehension to reach this conclusion. The valsava is used for stability with the primary goal of keeping the spine stable. A secondary benefit of stability is the ability to lift a heavier load not by an increase in force production but because of the ability to focus that production as the other variables like instability are removed.

Sudden, acute blood pressure fluctuations are generally not of concern in the absence of symptoms or complications. Now if a person had a recent CABG procedure for instance there could be issues with training. Are you diagnosing a symptom or complication with your post?

People sometimes get lightheaded from standing up. It's a part of life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Your post is stupid.

The Valsava isn't for force production, it took a real lack of reading comprehension to reach this conclusion. The valsava is used for stability with the primary goal of keeping the spine stable. A secondary benefit of stability is the ability to lift a heavier load not by an increase in force production but because of the ability to focus that production as the other variables like instability are removed.

Sudden, acute blood pressure fluctuations are generally not of concern in the absence of symptoms or complications. Now if a person had a recent CABG procedure for instance there could be issues with training. Are you diagnosing a symptom or complication with your post?

I was going to say, doesn't seem like the exercises mentioned in that study would be one's you would do the valsalva. And my cardiologist said it was not dangerous. Maybe I'll do deadlifts at the start of my work out instead of towards the end.

VM hope you're OK and can get back to business ASAP....

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
what happene to vm? u get injured? my gym closed and im now back to kb bs. Was supposed to get a home gym next month but looks like that’s not gonna happen. Plus all the stuff is selling out online now there’s no way it’s going to happen in the near future

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Your post is stupid.

Yep. Stupid. What's your point? Standing up has nothing to do with what he is doing. Unnecessary to make himself lightheaded lifting. Plus, he is not lifting heavy and he is getting lightheaded.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
is there a way to press without a rack
You can power clean the bar up but working with max weight x 5 without a rack isn't a great idea.

I would go to a weight you can easily handle and increase stress with additional reps and sets. You'll be mazed at how doing this until you can train regular again will increase our OHP.

If you were doing 3x5 at 75lbs, try 3x8-12 at 50lbs.

Or even better, 3-5 sets of 50lbs to RPE 8, which roughly translates to knowing after a rep that you only have two left.

Or even better, 1 set at RPE 6, one at RPE 7, one at RPE 8, two more at RPE 8.

Reactions: Havoc

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The other day I started doing the press with the empty bar (no rack). I even did squats with the empty bar. Better than nothing or the ten pound dumbbells. I could see how I could not go much beyond the empty bar on a squat, because you have to press and then let it down behind your head onto your shoulders... I'm going to go really slow and incrementally...

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
some stock in these cray times. my gym hand delivered and set up 15 power racks from their 2 locations at their customers houses. They basically brought the weights and equipment to their members so they can still train at home. they loaned me a barbell and weights so I can least do deadlifts and presses beyond stocked!

http://instagr.am/p/B993G6DgT5C/