Best Fullsuit?

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
You've been a wealth of knowledge SBD. Thanks for the effort.

Again, asking you folks out there for info on a stretchy 2 mil suit. Might just go for another Vissla 2/2 and order a custom Yamamoto for next winter.

Honestly, I have a Matuse suit that is nearly new from 2008 - a glorified 3/2 with a small patch of 3 in the chest. Been tucked away in the closet for years. If I lose another 5-10 pounds, might squeeze into it.

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
Looking for a nice, stretchy 2 mil full with Spring upon us. My Vissla is still serviceable from a couple seasons ago.

Was hoping to talk with folks at the Del Mar event.. will this current news squash that?

Sidenote: Gary, I won't accept your advice because you wear a 4/3 year-around in San Diego.
Boardroom show announced it was postponed today. Not sure why anyone would still pay for a brand name wetsuit, just get a Need Essentials made with the same Yamamoto rubber, in the same factory, with no name on it and no retailer mark up for half the price. No brainer.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

Again, asking you folks out there for info on a stretchy 2 mil suit. Might just go for another Vissla 2/2 and order a custom Yamamoto for next winter.

Honestly, I have a Matuse suit that is nearly new from 2008 - a glorified 3/2 with a small patch of 3 in the chest. Been tucked away in the closet for years. If I lose another 5-10 pounds, might squeeze into it.
If you were good with the Vissla maybe no reason to change? I have the 2mm Xcel comp and I like it. Casa Mugrienta if I remember hated his. It has no vulcanized rubber/smoothskin whatever panels. It's light and stretchy compared to a Drylock or Infiniti. I had a fancy Hurley 2mm with rubber/smoothskin chest/back and it was a bit higher end suit that the comp and while 62 and sunny is doable in the Xcel comp for me, maybe lower on a warm day with consistent surf and no lulls, 58 and shitty was doable in the Hurley, and booties extended that range down for me.

The discount sites like Backcountry might have more sizes, and the 3/2 comp is pretty close to the 2mm comp. I'd say it paddles just about as well, but it feels a tad bit heavier. And warmer.

YMMV

Your Matuse might be a brick by now. 12 years sounds like a long time for these things.

Reactions: Mr J

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I just checked their site. Does need essentials always avoid smooth panels on their suits? Seems like they only have it on the back panel of one back zip suit. I know it's less flexible, but it is nice on windy days.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I just checked their site. Does need essentials always avoid smooth panels on their suits? Seems like they only have it on the back panel of one back zip suit. I know it's less flexible, but it is nice on windy days.
I have a Need Essentials 4/3. I don't think any of them have smooth skin, but they have liners. Suits are warm and more than enough for So. Cal. I wouldn't pass them by because of lack of some smooth panels. $200 and so far so good. They are selling some of the suits at 20% off right now to get rid of old stock.

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013

Matuse tactical 2mm. Had for about 3 years, still no leaks.

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
Not that I know of but Rob, one of the founders is very responsive via email. I had a deal with Matuse for years and swore those suits were hands down the best, I still think they are but my deal has changed so I thought I would give Need Essentials a try and I am really impressed so far. I am wearing the 4/3 chest zip versus the Matuse 3mm Scipio chest zip and I have been hot in it so far here in SD in 58 water temps, even when the air temp has been in the high 30's with stiff offshores blowing. I would imagine that suit would be plenty warm down to 55 or maybe below. I personally like the direct to consumer model that avoids the retailer mark up. Rob and his partner apparently ran the wetsuits division at Quiksilver for a long time so they know the business, supply chain, manufacturing, etc. You are getting the same quality without all the mark up and marketing that adds extra costs. I wish I would have had the knowledge and connections to start the same business!

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Not that I know of but Rob, one of the founders is very responsive via email. I had a deal with Matuse for years and swore those suits were hands down the best, I still think they are but my deal has changed so I thought I would give Need Essentials a try and I am really impressed so far. I am wearing the 4/3 chest zip versus the Matuse 3mm Scipio chest zip and I have been hot in it so far here in SD in 58 water temps, even when the air temp has been in the high 30's with stiff offshores blowing. I would imagine that suit would be plenty warm down to 55 or maybe below. I personally like the direct to consumer model that avoids the retailer mark up. Rob and his partner apparently ran the wetsuits division at Quiksilver for a long time so they know the business, supply chain, manufacturing, etc. You are getting the same quality without all the mark up and marketing that adds extra costs. I wish I would have had the knowledge and connections to start the same business!

Yeh, I've considered them but haven't pulled the trigger. I like the model too, it reminds me of my dad buying the big bottles of "no ad" sunscreen at the drug store.

Currently I still have a deal with RipCurl that makes their suits comparable in price to Need

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I tried NEED when they came out - bought a jacket and s/s full. Maybe they have improved since then?

However, I can appreciate their business model.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
If you were good with the Vissla maybe no reason to change? I have the 2mm Xcel comp and I like it. Casa Mugrienta if I remember hated his. It has no vulcanized rubber/smoothskin whatever panels. It's light and stretchy compared to a Drylock or Infiniti... .
I think the importance of smoothskin panels is overrated. I have a 3/2 xcel, blind stitched on outside, taped on inside, no smoothskin at all. It is at least as warm as my billabong 3/2 with smoothskin chest and back panels. I'm happy with both suits.

my winter Pattagucci doesn't have any smoothskin either and it is a warm suit.

Reactions: LifeOnMars

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
We had an extremely mild winter in San Diego this year. Not a single ice cream headache or numb toes/fingers.
A legit 2 mill full woulda been plenty.

laughing at you pussies wearing hoods and booties.

Yeah, that's right. You heard me.

signed,
Big Wave Dave

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I hate everyone who has the luxury of surfing in warm water all year. My sinus's are in constant pain all winter. It's not coronavirus! Seriously though, I wish someone would make a 6/3mm, 6mm on the legs and chest/back, 3mm smooth skin on the arms and shoulders with hood. It sucks paddling with 4/5mm around the shoulders.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Need wetties are not great suits and are not equivalent to what we are all used to. This is from direct experience over many years. The rubber on these is NOT the same as used by other manufacturers. They are also made in China, compared to Sheico in Taiwan for the vast majority of suits.

Just trying to fix the misinformation in this thread.

Reactions: Bman76 and Lowqi2

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I hate everyone who has the luxury of surfing in warm water all year. My sinus's are in constant pain all winter. It's not coronavirus! Seriously though, I wish someone would make a 6/3mm, 6mm on the legs and chest/back, 3mm smooth skin on the arms and shoulders with hood. It sucks paddling with 4/5mm around the shoulders.
You can get a 5/3 from a few manufacturers, if that helps at all.

Reactions: Havoc

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Need wetties are not great suits and are not equivalent to what we are all used to. This is from direct experience over many years. The rubber on these is NOT the same as used by other manufacturers. They are also made in China, compared to Sheico in Taiwan for the vast majority of suits.

Yeah, i've had a couple and while they were comfy and well priced - they both fell apart just outside of the warranty. That said, there appears to be plenty of people that love them. I just wait until a good brand is on sale and go from there - usually get two seasons out of all the major brands.

Reactions: Havoc

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas

Would like to know the background of your comments, as they are in contrast to what I have heard about the manufacturing of their suits from people in the industry. What do you know about them, educate me so I am smarter about purchasing. I can only compare them to Matuse which I have been wearing for years, and for me there is very little difference in flex, warmth, etc. I have only been wearing the Need suit for about a month, so no idea on longevity and durability. I am curious what you know as actual facts about where they are manufactured and from what rubber?