Best foil for you.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I've described it to my brother as the shortboard revolution. It's crazy being out at 1st point surrounded by traditional longboards, then you look up the point and see guys struggling on shortboards who are getting occaisional good turns. Then you look up and see keola on a foil going super fast and boosting airs.

My brother did finally get himself a foil setup and we went out for the first time yesterday. Due to time constraints he only got 2 waves. But he's trying it.

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
So after sup foiling for a year, i want to try prone foiling. I prone surfed most of my life. Now in my mid 50s, do you guys have any size recommendations to start for an old guy? Anybody in so cal have a used one that is collecting dust? thanks.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Are you asking about board size? What foil are you currently using and what mount? (Plate or tuttle)

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
im 5'9" 240# 50yrs old...a 5'2" 50L KT prone board works perfect..

i can go as low as 4'4" 35L but paddling that sucker is kind of a pain

my advice is get something 50L...strugglong into 2 footers on anything smaller SUX

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
im 5'9" 240# 50yrs old...a 5'2" 50L KT prone board works perfect..

i can go as low as 4'4" 35L but paddling that sucker is kind of a pain

my advice is get something 50L...strugglong into 2 footers on anything smaller SUX
Thanks! I am 5'9 ~175#
I see some used boards around 35L, that may be too low then. Do you think the rail chine designs matter for prone foil boards?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
If you're around North LA/Ventura area you can try my 4'8" WCFC board, 31 liters. Pretty basic, but works. Look in the session report thread for me paddling into two footers. I'm 6'1" 185#, I'm ten years your younger though.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Keoki, I’m your height and weight...44 years old.

Id go 5-5’6” for the first one...basically what steamroller described. Within 6 months you can get the sub 4’6” - 40l thing happening....sacrifice some paddle for pump.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I started the SUP to prone transition earlier this year. I still SUP on days where it’s glassy and there’s super long rides with a ton of paddling. But short of that, it’s prone all the way. If you’re a shortboarder at heart, you will be stoked at how much more freed up it feels without the paddle. It’s also easier and more robust in some situations: surface chop doesn’t matter, doesn’t matter how big or dumpy it is because you can take off in the white water. The pop up takes some getting used to, foot placement has to be perfect, but once up on foil it’ll feel the same just way better. :)

Board size: have tried a few different ones, and confirmed its volume that matters most of all. For example that freedom board above is sub 5’, but 3.5” thick (half inch more than typical), that buys you a bunch more paddling capability. I made my own board, boxy/chunky 5’x20”x3”, which floats me fine … and was surprised when I tried my buddy’s converted surfboard (maybe 6’4”), my board paddles way better! I have since made another 4’11”x20x2.75 (Armstrong copy) with more aggressive concave, deep chines, and narrow rails … I can make it work but the paddling is a pain. I figure I lost 5L of foam and it’s really noticeable. I have gone back to the higher volume cork.

Chine: mine have it. I see new boards are mixed whether they use it or not, and most aren’t as aggressive as earlier boards. I suspect it helps a little but doesn’t make much difference. Frankly I am a little cynical about the board designs for foiling, as once you catch the wave, board is just a platform above the water anyway. Seems kinda like fishing tackle, all the tricked out high tech features are more about catching fishermen than fish. ;-)

Reactions: ghostshaper

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
thanks guys for the recommendations and offers:

Hdip: thanks for the offer. I live in south OC, dont get up north much

Juandesooka: i am following your footsteps. Prior to sup foiling i pretty much rode fishes. My buddy in maui got me on the sup foil. I blame him for getting me on a sup. But his sup is now 4'11 so he is at a way different level than me.

Based on above opinions and others down at the beach, i think i will be looking for a 5'0 ish board to start. Thanks.

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
Replaced my whole rig about a month ago, had to sell all my kitesurfing gear plus my Axis 900 foil kit that was only 6 months old to fund it.
So far It's proven to be a great upgrade and worth every cent.
Amos shapes 4'4 - 2.4kg (inc grip)
Armie 1550/212 - 3.3kg
20200221_103504.jpg

Reactions: sozzle and Hdip

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
are you looking to get the 1050 armstrong wing eventually ? love the colour work on your board.

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
are you looking to get the 1050 armstrong wing eventually ? love the colour work on your board.
Maybe down the track, I've towed with the 1550 in medium waves & it handles speed pretty good. It also pumps pretty good, so easy to connect waves - since I chopped the 232 to 212 it turns really well.
It's a keeper & great allrounder.