*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Big Sky was INSANE! road Friday to Sunday with powder every day. We scored on the major dump storm that came thru. such light snow compared to the westcoast. my Korua Pencil killed it. floated like crazy. only con was it's more a skier mountain so it gets pretty damn mogully. didn't get to Challenger as it was still being checked by ski patrol. part of our group did get up there right as another weather system came. visibility was zero and they were scared shitless never being up there before not knowing where the cliffs were. The town is building like crazy now that they're on the Ikon pass. they're dumping some major money into it and building a brand new left further past Six Shooter.

You get any fresh tracks off Dakota? I had fun on challenger but it was old snow and low tide still. I could see the potential. The bowl is cool but I imagine it gets tracked up fast on a pow day. What about Lone Tree? Love the trees over there, probably good storm riding.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Usually when I'm on this thread it's because I got hurt because I suck.
Going to June this weekend with a bunch of kids.
So, this is my "pre-stupid injury" post.
Wish me luck :ROFLMAO:

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
You get any fresh tracks off Dakota? I had fun on challenger but it was old snow and low tide still. I could see the potential. The bowl is cool but I imagine it gets tracked up fast on a pow day. What about Lone Tree? Love the trees over there, probably good storm riding.
no we didn't get to Dakota. wasn't too clear on the mountain until Sunday. We spent more time around Thunder Wolf one day and then Iron Horse & Six Shooter the other day. Last day was blue birds and we bounced round. at that point the traverse over to Dakota on a snowboard looked too much on my heel edge. Lone Tree was weathered in off & on when were over there that day. SO much to discover on that mountain as it's gigantic to be able to do it in 3 days

Reactions: $kully

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
no we didn't get to Dakota. wasn't too clear on the mountain until Sunday. We spent more time around Thunder Wolf one day and then Iron Horse & Six Shooter the other day. Last day was blue birds and we bounced round. at that point the traverse over to Dakota on a snowboard looked too much on my heel edge. Lone Tree was weathered in off & on when were over there that day. SO much to discover on that mountain as it's gigantic to be able to do it in 3 days

No doubt about it being giant. I was riding solo the three days I was there and there were so many places I wanted to explore but I'm always wary about getting too deep into the trees or off piste when I'm without a partner. Felt like I barely got a taste of the mountain. Need to go back.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Tempted... available at select shops only... and I’ve always wanted one without a huge “JONES” on the base..

Reactions: JBerry

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Missed out on our Tahoe trip, but all good as there hasn't ben any new snow anyways and I was recovering from my new years, over the bars body slam at Big Bear. Rib Injuries suck!

Really hoping for a Miracle March scenario to get some late season riding in:shaka:

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Missed out on our Tahoe trip, but all good as there hasn't ben any new snow anyways and I was recovering from my new years, over the bars body slam at Big Bear. Rib Injuries suck!

Really hoping for a Miracle March scenario to get some late season riding in:shaka:
snow possibly last week of Feb. looks like a swell coming too. combo swell + rain/snow?

Reactions: JBerry

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009

Yesterday was really fun at Mt. Baldy. I arrived around 1, did 10 laps and called it. It was pretty slushy by then, I would go earlier, but the steeps on Thunder were a blast. The mountain could use more snow, but it was still lots of fun. I skied mostly Emile's and Gold Rush.

Here is a little video of me skiing Gold Rush. I would fast forward over the first 1:15 or so unless you want to see me buckle my boots. I just got the gopro hooked up and I suck at it.

EDIT: Baldy is offering passes for 299 that are good for the rest of this year and all of next year.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Looks fun! I almost forgot the resorts were still open the weathers been so nice, especially Baldy! Is a season pass worth the risk for this year and next? How many days does that equate to paying it off? 5-6?

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
Looks fun! I almost forgot the resorts were still open the weathers been so nice, especially Baldy! Is a season pass worth the risk for this year and next? How many days does that equate to paying it off? 5-6?
I think a half day pass at Baldy is 55 or so. If you book early you can usually get tickets for around 50, so yeah, probably 5 or 6 days.

The coverage on Thunder should mean skiing into mid-March, depending on the temperature. If there is one more storm that will really set things up. If you get 3 days over the next two weekends you are getting next season for around 150. The issue is that the snow at Baldy can be very inconsistent, so it might not open. Baldy has much better steep terrain than summit/bear/mthigh, but not opening for skiing/boarding can be a real risk. Baldy survives by selling scenic ride and snow play tickets. I think the pass gives you some access during the summer, but I'm not sure.

So it is a risk. I'm about to pull the trigger for me and my wife. If it sucks next year it won't kill me. If Baldy got consistent snow that would REALLY make snow sports down here better.

If the mountain gets one more storm it will be well worth it. Like I said, the steeps on Thunder should be good for at least a few more weeks. I do love the fact that it takes me an hour and 20 minutes to get to the parking lot from Newport.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Barring a socal March Miracle I would guess baldy's days are numbered. I was at big bear this past weekend and it was fun but it felt like it was late march not mid-feb. I was riding in a t-shirt and it was slushy by mid-day.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I think a half day pass at Baldy is 55 or so. If you book early you can usually get tickets for around 50, so yeah, probably 5 or 6 days.

The coverage on Thunder should mean skiing into mid-March, depending on the temperature. If there is one more storm that will really set things up. If you get 3 days over the next two weekends you are getting next season for around 150. The issue is that the snow at Baldy can be very inconsistent, so it might not open. Baldy has much better steep terrain than summit/bear/mthigh, but not opening for skiing/boarding can be a real risk. Baldy survives by selling scenic ride and snow play tickets. I think the pass gives you some access during the summer, but I'm not sure.

So it is a risk. I'm about to pull the trigger for me and my wife. If it sucks next year it won't kill me. If Baldy got consistent snow that would REALLY make snow sports down here better.

If the mountain gets one more storm it will be well worth it. Like I said, the steeps on Thunder should be good for at least a few more weeks. I do love the fact that it takes me an hour and 20 minutes to get to the parking lot from Newport.

Terrain wise baldy is far superior to both Bear and Summit. They just don't have the same type of operation to manage the snow that they have. Gotta get it while it's good.

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
Terrain wise baldy is far superior to both Bear and Summit. They just don't have the same type of operation to manage the snow that they have. Gotta get it while it's good.
If you could merge the park/groomers/snowmaking of those places with the steeps Baldy has that would really be something. One problem is that they simply don't have much intermediate terrain that keeps snow. There are the groomers on Thunder, but chair 4 faces east/southeast and does not keep it's snow, it is green over there. There just is not much feasible intermediate terrain.

For those of you in the LA area, this is actually a good idea. My wife and I go up to Mammoth 2, sometimes 3 weekends a month. She usually comes with me but sometimes I am solo. This is a bus that will go up to Mammoth, then leave the same evening. I actually emailed the guys who do it and you can come back the next evening, Sunday, for a bit more money. If you are alone and want to head up for the day, then come back, or spend one night and come back, it is a good option, considering it costs roughly 100 in gas to drive there and back. I like the idea of being able to either sleep or get work done on the trip. Here is the link:

I have always wished there were more ways to get to Mammoth. This could be a good option if you don't want to drive.

I emailed the guys about going up on the bus Saturday morning and coming back Sunday, and here was the response:

###

To answer your question. Yes, you have the option to return on a different day at an additional cost (this is because we currently don't offer one way tickets back from Mammoth to LA).

After you purchase your first ticket, you will receive an email that has a coupon code for a 50% discount. For your return trip, you must book another 1-Day ticket.
For example, if you took a shuttle out of Los Angeles on Saturday, then you will need to purchase a 1-Day ticket for Sunday's date. The total cost would be $149.

Also, your return trip must be within 7 calendar days from the purchase of your original ticket. Otherwise, your order will be canceled and you will be refunded for the "return" ticket.
If you wish to return after 7 days has passed from your original trip, please purchase another 1-Day trip and only ride the "return" bus.

**Please make sure to book your return ticket on the same day you purchased your ticket.**

###

I have not used it yet, I will report on it when I do. I encourage anyone interested to check out there website and email them any questions you might have.

Reactions: $kully and JBerry

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
If you could merge the park/groomers/snowmaking of those places with the steeps Baldy has that would really be something. One problem is that they simply don't have much intermediate terrain that keeps snow. There are the groomers on Thunder, but chair 4 faces east/southeast and does not keep it's snow, it is green over there. There just is not much feasible intermediate terrain.

For those of you in the LA area, this is actually a good idea. My wife and I go up to Mammoth 2, sometimes 3 weekends a month. She usually comes with me but sometimes I am solo. This is a bus that will go up to Mammoth, then leave the same evening. I actually emailed the guys who do it and you can come back the next evening, Sunday, for a bit more money. If you are alone and want to head up for the day, then come back, or spend one night and come back, it is a good option, considering it costs roughly 100 in gas to drive there and back. I like the idea of being able to either sleep or get work done on the trip. Here is the link:

I have always wished there were more ways to get to Mammoth. This could be a good option if you don't want to drive.

I emailed the guys about going up on the bus Saturday morning and coming back Sunday, and here was the response:

###

To answer your question. Yes, you have the option to return on a different day at an additional cost (this is because we currently don't offer one way tickets back from Mammoth to LA).

After you purchase your first ticket, you will receive an email that has a coupon code for a 50% discount. For your return trip, you must book another 1-Day ticket.
For example, if you took a shuttle out of Los Angeles on Saturday, then you will need to purchase a 1-Day ticket for Sunday's date. The total cost would be $149.

Also, your return trip must be within 7 calendar days from the purchase of your original ticket. Otherwise, your order will be canceled and you will be refunded for the "return" ticket.
If you wish to return after 7 days has passed from your original trip, please purchase another 1-Day trip and only ride the "return" bus.

**Please make sure to book your return ticket on the same day you purchased your ticket.**

###

I have not used it yet, I will report on it when I do. I encourage anyone interested to check out there website and email them any questions you might have.
I’ve seen the bus promoted and am also curious about it. However winds on the 395 and 14 make me wonder about a double decker bus.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Great concept, and I'd jump on it if there were a drop closer to ventura county.
Otherwise, I'll be in Mojave by the time I'd drive to my closest pick up spot.
Maybe some day...

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Was in Park City during the major dump that closed Little Cottonwood Canyon for 2.5 days. Super bummed as I was really looking forward to getting to Snowbird, but the avalanche danger was out of control. PC was still pretty fun though. Thursday 2/6 was kinda stormy, but my coworkers and I lapped the Jupiter chair and got great powder all afternoon. Pretty windy so the open faces were getting scoured, but the trees were money! Friday the crowd was insane in the morning. The storm had knocked out power to most of the mountain, and since other mountains were closed and/or inaccessible, it was a shitshow. We were staying across the street, so myself and one friend just waited until later when they started opening up more. Found some good lines in the trees, but they never opened up the top of the mountain. Saturday was the waiting game as the slowly opened up more terrain. Timing was good, and we found deep stuff in the trees once again. Ironically, the entire storm was on the wet side, so it was very Sierra Cementesque as opposed to dry blower pow. Successful trip regardless, had a blast. Social life and whiskey in town was good too.

Some good sales running at the shops too :LOL:

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Also looking at heading out to Big Sky at the end of March. Really want to hit some steep lines, The Big Couloir being one of them.