Ryan Burch Surfboards

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I want a Picklefork twin as well. Also been entertaining the idea of doing something like a 6'6 picklefork step-up. These boards lend themselves to being so nimble and maneuverable, I think they'd be really fun as a step-up.

Hey @waxurDyl, are you still on here? How did your asym thrusters work out?

Reactions: Goodfish

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
This pivots tighter than a symetrical board going backside because of features like the round tail, increased tail rocker, cut-away fins, and the shorter, rounder rail line on the heel side. Transitions from rail to rail are easier without having to compensate (as much) for the different ways we distribute our weight due to the asymmetry of out bodies. Probably hard to imagine for some unless you've tried one.

Tail is probably closer to 15" wide, but don't have it with me at the moment to measure.
I chased this concept and made myself a couple w the idea of getting more hold on my heelside by using a roundpin, but keeping the swallow on my toeside. Also made a fang/roundpin, similar to the masym tail. I couldn't feel a difference so I stopped making them. I didn't change rockers or fin placements though.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I chased this concept and made myself a couple w the idea of getting more hold on my heelside by using a roundpin, but keeping the swallow on my toeside. Also made a fang/roundpin, similar to the masym tail. I couldn't feel a difference so I stopped making them. I didn't change rockers or fin placements though.
There's a lot going on with the Burch's. Different tail shapes, fin placements, rockers, rail lines, foils (heelside is a bit thicker/boxier), and concaves.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
I want a Picklefork twin as well. Also been entertaining the idea of doing something like a 6'6 picklefork step-up. These boards lend themselves to being so nimble and maneuverable, I think they'd be really fun as a step-up.

Hey @waxurDyl, are you still on here? How did your asym thrusters work out?
Yeah, been digging the thrusters. I’ve got quite a few boards from Ryan, so the familiarity of the thruster setup is a nice way to mix things up among my Burch quiv. Especially with the alternative noses and asymm tails.
6’0 round nose and 5’8 fork nose
1BA337D9-9470-484D-A5F6-071D8E232439.jpeg55B5B48A-F46D-4494-A78D-39BCB84A44AE.jpegD72A6AA0-1FD0-4187-8E75-6F65DFD179B4.jpeg

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Regarding a step up Pickle Fork, unless you ride significantly bigger boards than I do, you probably don’t need to go 6’6. My 6’2 is plenty of board for a step up, most times more than I need. Picture the fork
nose outline continuing into a standard pointy nose, the 6’2 would be close to a 6’6. As step ups, these are narrower, thinner and more parallel than my other boards from Ryan.
5’9 and 6’2
04A8624E-CE47-4EB5-ACD2-9202D30659A6.jpeg15B014B1-10C7-4B46-882F-B4E1AEA5E107.jpeg2F7EE82A-5E1A-48AD-A6EF-33C9017135AA.jpeg268F9DA7-4A5D-4B26-BF19-B35CE676AA8D.jpegFC5B557B-86AB-40C5-A394-CED7AF61D5A3.jpeg

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah, been digging the thrusters. I’ve got quite a few boards from Ryan, so the familiarity of the thruster setup is a nice way to mix things up among my Burch quiv. Especially with the alternative noses and asymm tails.
6’0 round nose and 5’8 fork nose
Really interesting. What kind of conditions would you pick the thruster rather than the twin? So, on the round nose, are the fins symmetrical, and just the tail is assym? tough t tell from the photo. How does it feel compared to the twin/quad assym? More of a middle ground to a standard symmetrical design?

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Really interesting. What kind of conditions would you pick the thruster rather than the twin? So, on the round nose, are the fins symmetrical, and just the tail is assym? tough t tell from the photo. How does it feel compared to the twin/quad assym? More of a middle ground to a standard symmetrical design?
The thrusters go good in beach breaks or short dumpy waves when you get a few turns in before a closeout. The twins and twin/quads are great, I prefer them in good shaped waves, big and small. They are so fast and drivey when there’s a long open face to work with. Overall I think the twin/quad option is the best of the bunch, there’s nothing it can’t do well. From my Burch quiv, I took one of each to the Mentawai, didn't take thrusters.

The thruster set up is not symmetrical, the side fins are slightly asymmetrical. We were looking at a few of his personal thrusters and he was describing pros/cons on each cluster. He had a very good one that had placement numbers written on the bottom. That was the one we went with, they’ve felt good so far!

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
The thrusters go good in beach breaks or short dumpy waves when you get a few turns in before a closeout. The twins and twin/quads are great, I prefer them in good shaped waves, big and small. They are so fast and drivey when there’s a long open face to work with. Overall I think the twin/quad option is the best of the bunch, there’s nothing it can’t do well. From my Burch quiv, I took one of each to the Mentawai, didn't take thrusters.

The thruster set up is not symmetrical, the side fins are slightly asymmetrical. We were looking at a few of his personal thrusters and he was describing pros/cons on each cluster. He had a very good one that had placement numbers written on the bottom. That was the one we went with, they’ve felt good so far!
Hmmm, you think I should go twin or twin/quad on my double pickle fork? I said it would be a step-up for Indo, typhoon swells and good winter swells. Just worried I won't have enough control or hold with a twin in those kind of conditions. I know Ryan surfs them all the time in good waves, but...I'm not Ryan.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Hmmm, you think I should go twin or twin/quad on my double pickle fork? I said it would be a step-up for Indo, typhoon swells and good winter swells. Just worried I won't have enough control or hold with a twin in those kind of conditions. I know Ryan surfs them all the time in good waves, but...I'm not Ryan.
Yeah...not many are Ryan, lol! Twin/quad...easy, IMO

Reactions: Goodfish

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Interested in one of these pickle forks. How much does one cost?

I’m okay with paying more but they seem really really nice and that usually means $$$$

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Mine worked out at pretty much $1000 each. Which works for me as the FW distributor here charges $950 a freaking board plus a 3 month wait for delivery!

Reactions: bluemarlin04

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
That board looks so fun. I've still haven't tried an asym, but i think it's in part because I fear once I do, I'll never go back and then want to get a whole new asym quiver. LOL
I was worried they'd make me look like more of a kook, but actually they make me look like slightly less of a kook!

Reactions: oeste858 and jkb