Can we talk for a second? Cutting sugar out of your diet......

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
I kind of look like hitler.

Fun fact: I always get blond nordic chicks.

I want the other breeds too but they no like.
Thats because you are literally a nazi

Really?
Quick search

Sarcasm my dude.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
LOL he mad.

NFL corners are elite athletes. Look at the size/speed/vertical some of the skill players have. The strength/speed linebackers have.
Skill positions in football are populated by athletic freaks. Ever seen the size of the hands of WRs? Holy hell. If they surfed, they'd paddle everyone into the ground just based on that alone.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
As far as who is an athlete, you just need to create a working definition.

Then the task will be easy.
Creating the definition won’t be easy though. A person who excels in one athletic activity may be terrible at another activity.

A good surfer wouldn’t necessarily make a good foozball player and vice versa. But they’re both athletes. There’s no single meter stick determining who is and isn’t an athlete.

But I’m sure the erBB will find a way to argue about it.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
It's true. Asians can thrive on a macrobiotic diet that would kill a Scandinavian. Scandinavians that could NOT process dairy to extract Vit A/D didn't live long enough to put much into the gene pool. Limited sun during the winters. What your ancestors became accustomed to re diet matters. Thousands of years of gene pool survival weaned out those that couldn't survive on the indigenous diet.
For reference look at the Vietcong diet while they were pushing loaded bicycles down the Ho Chi Minh trail. Through the jungle. Women too. And they kicked our western asses.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
In general skateboarders appear to be obsessed with not trying to do anything other than wear lots of black, train themselves to be oblivious idiots, and smoke a lot, so not sure about it, but if elite skateboarders actually had leagues and travel teams and private coaching like many elite competitors in other sports?

Tom Brady and Wayne Gretzky are GOATs in their sports, but not what I would consider particularly athletic.

Gretzky was the reference implementation of 4D Chess. Every rink in Russia has 10 year old girls who could outskate Gretzky while playing pokemon go and livestreaming it. Probably cross check his ass too, and their diet is probably water, a ground multi vitamin pill, and a teaspoon of sawdust before bedtime every other day.
The whole point of Gretzky was he knew where AND WHEN everyone else was going to be after they got where they were currently going. The most butteriest of passes was going to be 1.2 hockey stick blades off the ground over the defenseman's sticks, then land, turbo buttery, in the appropriate place for the recipient, who probably had no idea he was about to get the puck when Gretzky already knew whether it was going to be wrist or slap, stop-n-shot or one-timer, before the guy even decided where to go next.

Tom Brady is like the NFL equivalent of the guy who won't play the British Open when it's on certain courses because he can't use a golf cart.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bet if that flatland skateboarder savant guy grew up around soccer he would have been pretty good.

I'm not sure I buy that NO skateboarder is more athletic than ANY NFL lineman completely across the board. The bust the Giants got in the first round a few years back, Ereck Flowers, his footwork makes Stephen Hawking look like Lionel Messi. Once he stopped simply out-muscling the trash cans he played against in the ACC Coastal Division he got exposed.

Granted none of the skateboarders are 6'6"/270 and running 4.6 40s but if they put down the cigs and spent their adolescence the way talent in recruiting pipelines does I bet you'd see lots of the same gifts in terms of hip movement, footwork, speed, vision, anticipation etc. that make someone a good cornerback.
We could argue until the cows come home about the definition of athleticism and what makes someone a good athlete. Such as:

-Is the fastest Olympic runner more athletic than an NFL cornerback who is not as fast, but has the required skill set to play pro football?
-Could Bo Jackson and Deone Sanders be considered some of the greatest athletes of all time, given that they made the pros in 2 sports? Are they better athletes than players who were better than them at their position in only one sport?
-Is Barry Sanders a better athlete than Emmet Smith because of his freakish ability, even though Emmitt has more impressive stats overall?
-What makes someone more athletic- being the beat at a niche skill, being the fastest/highest jumper/strongest, or being moderately strong in all those departments?

etc etc. I don’t have definite answers to the above. Although I can say with certainty that a supposedly overweight skater does not belong in the category of “one of the best athletes ever”.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
We could argue until the cows come home about the definition of athleticism and what makes someone a good athlete. Such as:

-Is the fastest Olympic runner more athletic than an NFL cornerback who is not as fast, but has the required skill set to play pro football?
-Could Bo Jackson and Deone Sanders be considered some of the greatest athletes of all time, given that they made the pros in 2 sports? Are they better athletes than players who were better than them at their position in only one sport?
-Is Barry Sanders a better athlete than Emmet Smith because of his freakish ability, even though Emmitt has more impressive stats overall?
-What makes someone more athletic- being the beat at a niche skill, being the fastest/highest jumper/strongest, or being moderately strong in all those departments?

etc etc. I don’t have definite answers to the above. Although I can say with certainty that a supposedly overweight skater does not belong in the category of “one of the best athletes ever”.
What kind of breakfast sandwiches do real athletes eat?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

Bo making the All-Star game and Pro Bowl in same season, not to mention playing in the NFL as a hobby pretty much elevates him to GOAT status.

And then there's just the freak status of the extracurricular stuff like breaking bats over his head, knees, etc., running up walls, hitting consistent bullseyes firing bow and arrow with his feet, etc.

Emmitt was good. Barry Sanders was far better.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

Since Kento and I like you we aren't going to go too hard on you having Bo and Deion in the same sentence and Emmitt and Barry in the same sentence, what with this being a surfing message board and not a football one, but it's definitive. frvcvs could be a multiple All-Madden back behind the 90s Dallas O-line with Aikman. Barry Sanders...some of the shittier pre-Cold War tanks couldn't rush for positive yardage on Detroit.

Your first and fourth are much better in terms of being not definitive. Some men's magazine like 20 years ago had a gymnast (rings), a football player, Tommy O'Brien (surfer from Melbourne FL) and I think maybe somebody else, performing a pretty widely rounded assessment.

Tommy did quite well but the ring gymnast basically dominated, and he probably can't even get a job selling towels, soft tops, and flip flops to tourists on the back of his accomplishments the way the average Jr. Pro could.

Reactions: Kento

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Since Kento and I like you we aren't going to go too hard on you having Bo and Deion in the same sentence and Emmitt and Barry in the same sentence, what with this being a surfing message board and not a football one, but it's definitive. frvcvs could be a multiple All-Madden back behind the 90s Dallas O-line with Aikman. Barry Sanders...some of the shittier pre-Cold War tanks couldn't rush for positive yardage on Detroit.

Your first and fourth are much better in terms of being not definitive. Some men's magazine like 20 years ago had a gymnast (rings), a football player, Tommy O'Brien (surfer from Melbourne FL) and I think maybe somebody else, performing a pretty widely rounded assessment.

Tommy did quite well but the ring gymnast basically dominated, and he probably can't even get a job selling towels, soft tops, and flip flops to tourists on the back of his accomplishments the way the average Jr. Pro could.
Agreed on all accounts. My overall point was that defining what makes a great athlete relies on a mix of objective and subjective measures. Some athletes are literally one trick ponies who excel at that one thing, while others are more well rounded.

We all had that friend in high school who could take up any sport and be good at it with little effort, or if you are lucky that was you. Certainly wasn’t me lol. Natural athletes can do that. From what I’ve heard, Slater was also talented in other sports growing up?

In some sense skaters don’t get a fair shake because skating is antagonistic and antithetical to team sports in the same way that surfing is. That said, you don’t have to be very athletic to be good at skating relative to what is required for most other pro sports.