paddling fatigue

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
All I know is the shoulder hang thing helped a lot(thanks Gromsdad) placebo or not.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Preventative maintenance.

Yoga “works”. It makes you more flexible. To stay flexible you have to keep doing it.
You don't need yoga to access full range of motion. Again though...I've been very clear that if something feels good or helps keep doing it. But yoga does exactly nothing to address any underlying causes of injury and provides the same healthy benefit as a slow walk outside.

Also, "lack of flexibility" is the biggest lie in PT, pain management, injury protection. First I don't think there's a definition of flexible enough so how on earth can you prescribe it? It is extremely rare that a person is unable to access a full range of motion through out their bodies joints. If a person is unable to access full range of motion its (rarely) because of a structural or soft tissue issues, or (almost always) a misunderstanding of full range or motion and or required range of motion.

Yoga should be banned in this country simply for creating a large group of previously fit but now flabby skinny fat MILFS.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Havoc

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You don't need yoga to access full range of motion. Again though...I've been very clear that if something feels good or helps keep doing it. But yoga does exactly nothing to address any underlying causes of injury and provides the same healthy benefit as a slow walk outside.

Also, "lack of flexibility" is the biggest lie in PT, pain management, injury protection. First I don't think there's a definition of flexible enough so how on earth can you prescribe it? It is extremely rare that a person is unable to access a full range of motion through out their bodies joints. If a person is unable to access full range of motion its (rarely) because of a structural or soft tissue issues, or (almost always) a misunderstanding of full range or motion and or required range of motion.

Yoga should be banned in this country simply for creating a large group of previously fit but now flabby skinny fat MILFS.
You don’t need yoga specifically but you need to do SOMETHING regularly to maintain flexibility.

Let’s say you get to a point where you can do the splits. If you stop doing a regular stretching routine, yoga or other, eventually you won’t be able to do the splits.

Why should this even have to explained to you?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
You don’t need yoga specifically but you need to do SOMETHING regularly to maintain flexibility.

Let’s say you get to a point where you can do the splits. If you stop doing a regular stretching routine, yoga or other, eventually you won’t be able to do the splits.

Why should this even have to explained to you?
Why would someone need to do the splits? Why would you think the splits matter? Are you suggesting that someone who could do the splits is less injury prone than someone that could? I haven't seen any medical evidence of this but if it exists it's pretty fucking important.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Why would someone need to do the splits? Why would you think the splits matter?

If you're going to say someone needs to be flexible, can you at least articulate how much flexibility is enough? I was pretty clear in my post regarding range of motion, and you answered with something about the splits.
Jesus Christ dude. You’re hopeless.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Hopelessly waiting for you to make a point.

If you're going to say someone needs to be flexible, can you at least articulate how much flexibility is enough? I was pretty clear in my post regarding range of motion, and you answered with something about the splits.
You said that if you have to keep doing something (like hanging to help your shoulders) then it’s not fixing anything.

I said it’s maintenance. I used AS AN EXAMPLE yoga being something you have to keep doing to get the benefit.

So let’s try this...

If you don’t walk on your feet you will eventually lose the ability to walk on your feet. So regular walking “works”.

Do you NEED to be able to walk? No. But I like being able to walk.

Are you really this stupid? I’m not trying to insult you here, I’m legitimately asking you because you seem incapable of understanding analogy and example.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Supplements make you strong and limber. None of those exercises will ever strengthen you or get you any results. The gym is a placebo. Buy more supplements. You'll surf better and feel better.
Now I'm defending VM from Gromsdad's misrepresentationso_O! I don't think VM said anything about supplements making you limber. He certainly didn't say the gym is a placebo. You guys have to stop doing that:cursing:.

I've read elsewhere that stretching can lead to injury. My layman's understanding was that it allows your body to reach a point where you don't have the muscles or it weakens the muscles necessary to counteract the stretching forces. I've also understood (at least with regard to running) that you should do any stretching after the run not before. I wonder if that's true for surfing??? I never really stretch before surfing. Just a jog (or sprint if the waves are really good) across the beach for a warm up. I'm definitely not doing 5 minutes of yogas before jumping in (I could miss a good wave!)...maybe that's why my back spasmed? Although the spasm happened after I'd been surfing for an hour with no problems.

I'm still looking for the cause of my spasm and some preventative regimen. One possible contributing factor is that I was just getting over a week long cold/flu. A lot of coughing. That morning I was coughing a lot. A friend of mine even noted it to me, asking if I was sick. Now ten days later, as I'm slowly recovering, my lower back still hurts like hell when I cough or sneeze, like a 6 or 7. There's got to be a connection...

A quick google search found this. Interesting. I've reservations about chiropractors, but I read it anyways. some of what he says matches up with VM's statements about the neuro/psychic aspect of pain...I think.

Last edited:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
You said that if you have to keep doing something (like hanging to help your shoulders) then it’s not fixing anything.

I said it’s maintenance. I used AS AN EXAMPLE yoga being something you have to keep doing to get the benefit.

So let’s try this...

If you don’t walk on your feet you will eventually lose the ability to walk on your feet. So regular walking “works”.

Do you NEED to be able to walk? No. But I like being able to walk.

Are you really this stupid? I’m not trying to insult you here, I’m legitimately asking you because you seem incapable of understanding analogy and example.
Either we're talking past each other or your just looking for an argument. I'm happy to have a conversation about this topic because it's something I really enjoy but if we're just going to play tit for tat with facetious responses I'd rather just move on.

You specifically mentioned flexibility. My very clear question was what do you mean by flexibility. Generally when people talk about yoga and stretching they are taking a joint beyond its normal and necessary range of motion due to a belief that more range of motion is better....like the splits as an example. I think this belief is questionable at best and we have plenty of medical evidence to underscore this. We know that the bodies primary defense against injury is muscle contraction. We also know that static stretching of a muscle prior to physical activity slows the muscular contraction response, which reduces the bodies primary defense. Now is the difference negligible? Judging by the amount of people that stretch just prior to athletic activity and wind up injury free I would say yes, it is absolutely negligible. There's two additional issues. One is simple. Time. Why waste it stretching if there are better things to do with your time, like the activity itself or perhaps properly warming up so you can perform the activity better. The second is injury during stretching. Observational information shows people injure themselves stretching once out of every 1000 hours of stretching. Doesn't seem like much and it's going to vary among different populations, but more importantly it shows hat you increase for instance your chance of throwing your back out by stretching than if you were to just do the activity your stretching for.

Aside from rare physical conditions, everyone is able to access full range of motion in their joints so I reject that people are not flexible enough....but I am also completely aware that we may be talking about different things.

You used walking and losing use of your feet as an example. Here's something similar. Being alive, walking, picking up kids, standing up from a chair, tying your shoes, putting away groceries, getting out of bed, and doing recreational activities gives you the opportunity to have complete and full range of motion.....if you do these things which generally as surfers we are actively doing daily...... Incremental periods of sedentary activities aren't enough to affect this and certainly are not going to result in shortened muscles and tendons.

My long winded point is this. Yoga and stretching are enjoyable in some form or fashion for everyone and everyone does it. My only point is they are unnecessary for full enjoyment of physical activity or health and are not in the slightest a cure for all but very rare medical conditions, perceived or otherwise.

Reactions: Havoc

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
I received a kook of the year award after getting caught doing paddling intervals on flat days. <love it>

Hey know-it-alls, is there such a thing as an overly long surf session, to the detriment of fitness? Are several short sessions during a day at the beach better than one long one?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I received a kook of the year award after getting caught doing paddling intervals on flat days. <love it>

Hey know-it-alls, is there such a thing as an overly long surf session, to the detriment of fitness? Are several short sessions during a day at the beach better than one long one?
I can't think of a physical reason why one would be better than the other. In a perfect world I would rather have several session per day vs one very long one.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Now I'm defending VM from Gromsdad's misrepresentationso_O! I don't think VM said anything about supplements making you limber. He certainly didn't say the gym is a placebo. You guys have to stop doing that:cursing:.

I've read elsewhere that stretching can lead to injury. My layman's understanding was that it allows your body to reach a point where you don't have the muscles or it weakens the muscles necessary to counteract the stretching forces. I've also understood (at least with regard to running) that you should do any stretching after the run not before. I wonder if that's true for surfing??? I never really stretch before surfing. Just a jog (or sprint if the waves are really good) across the beach for a warm up. I'm definitely not doing 5 minutes of yogas before jumping in (I could miss a good wave!)...maybe that's why my back spasmed? Although the spasm happened after I'd been surfing for an hour with no problems.

I'm still looking for the cause of my spasm and some preventative regimen. One possible contributing factor is that I was just getting over a week long cold/flu. A lot of coughing. That morning I was coughing a lot. A friend of mine even noted it to me, asking if I was sick. Now ten days later, as I'm slowly recovering, my lower back still hurts like hell when I cough or sneeze, like a 6 or 7. There's got to be a connection...

A quick google search found this. Interesting. I've reservations about chiropractors, but I read it anyways. some of what he says matches up with VM's statements about the neuro/psychic aspect of pain...I think.

The damage could have been done previously and you didn’t know it until it was exacerbated by coughing.

Dead lifts.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
Yup. Plus it depends on how you are doing the PUs. A lot of people that are into the number of reps are swinging, using momentum and a narrow grip to boost their number. Two seconds up, four seconds down. WIDE grip. Overhand. Or even pre exhaust the lats with heavy bent rows before you move to your PUs. Pull ups and heavy bent rows have always been the body building upper back mass builders of choice. On top of that, body building for increased mass is probably about 80% diet. And yes I pulled that number out of my impeccably buffed ass. It's high though. You ain't getting anywhere without the diet happening.

And calfs that won't respond are not a cliche without reason. That's why body builders get silicone calf implants. i sh!t you not.
Surfing and body building have lumbar compression in common, plus the rotational movements.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
I didn't follow much of the back and forth about it in here. But isn't there something about hip flexors either tightening or shortening in people who sit a lot?

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
I remember reading about how fibromyalgia mostly affects women; who have had a traumatic event in their life, and generally are obese. So we have three human traits that are emotion multipliers and lead to non specific pain with absence of any pathology.

I know buck up and walk it off are cliche, but there's truth to it.

When you're in pain the first thing you should do is realize that you're still in one piece and one false move isn't going to send an explosion of internal body tissue in every direction. Knowing that makes it easier to reject all the silly bullshit being sold through YouTube videos that is there to elicit an emotional response from someone who is in a spot that renders them incapable of emotionally dealign with discomfort.

You wouldn't....or shouldn't anyway, make important life choices based on emotions or what you just read on twitter. Why would you do that with your health?
...hand in glove with an epidemic of Munchausen disorder or some mass form of it.