XTR

isurfcardiff

OTF status
May 8, 2014
OK, what are your thoughts on XTR? Good for grovellers, right, but what about for a step-up? Any care to elaborate on the different flex? Is it better to have less flex or more flex for a step-up? Thanks!

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Reactions: isurfcardiff

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I just bought one. Can't comment on its ride yet, but it was the same price as the fiberglass version from ...Lost.

Anyone know the shipping process for XTR? Does it just show up at your door? Or do you get a notification email and tracking number?

isurfcardiff

OTF status
May 8, 2014
I just bought one. Can't comment on its ride yet, but it was the same price as the fiberglass version from ...Lost.

Anyone know the shipping process for XTR? Does it just show up at your door? Or do you get a notification email and tracking number?
What'd you order?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I've had an XTR step up for around 4 years now. Zero complaints. Mine is stringered with 8.C glassing equivalent (it was called 5.C back then).

If you want it to feel close to a PU/PE, order it with a stringer and a similar glassing schedule as to what you would with your usual step-up.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Definitely less flex and XTRs can definitely be dialed in for step ups. I recently got my first XTR and love it, a step up Pyzel ghost. It has a pretty stiff flex value at 4 (1 being the stiffest). Mine is parallel carbon so they can customize the flex. I use stiff fiberglass fins also on it.

Also go with 8.0 construction for durability and a little extra weight.

This set up feels great. Stiffer and more durable than eps boards, but way more responsive and lively than my pu boards with heavier 6x4 glass on the deck.

Reactions: isurfcardiff

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019

They give you an email and a tracking#, but you have to be home to sign for it. You can have Fedex hold it at a facility or Walgreens and pick it up there. That's what I did.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
So, 8.0 (6+4/4)with stringer is equivalent to
a slightly heavy pu/pe?

Would that be the best bet for a standard shorty?

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
So, 8.0 (6+4/4)with stringer is equivalent to
a slightly heavy pu/pe?

Would that be the best bet for a standard shorty?
Just depends on what you like on your standard hpsb. I like 4+4/4, so that's what I order from XTR on both my hpsb and step-up. Go with what you like. There's no conversion formula with XTR glassing on a stringered board IMO.

Once you start getting into stringerless builds for hpsb's or step-ups, then yes, you might want to consider more glass.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I got an XTR Hydronaut with carbon stringer. Stood up to numerous Indo beatings and typhoon swells. Can't go wrong. Don't buy into the 'only wooden stringers are strong' syndrome. Their construction works just like Javier says it does.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I've only done wood stringered with mixed results.

I just got a Timmy Patterson 6'0 Pool Party in 8.0 construction with a flex value of 2 and it is way too stiff. Kinda bummed on it. Probably going to sell it.

I have a 6'1 ghost in 8.C that I love. I have a 6'6 ghost in 8.0 that I love.
I've ordered a 6'1 Patterson IF-15 in 8.C and it came out way too light, sold it.

If I order another, I will experiment with stringerless.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Weird. So the extra stiffness is a result of the added glass I am guessing? I dig the flex of the lighter 8.c and 8.c team boards I've got but I'd like to try a little more weight for a good wave board.