Beta blockers?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I'm going to get a second opinion. BP at its worst is 140/90, diet is way better, saw some improvements in 6 months with cholesterol and BP. doctor just seems eager to medicate. I'm not a fan.
My MD keeps giving me chances to lower cholesterol without medication. I've been successful by watching the diet and using those supplements. Lots of exercise too. Lots.

Do you have any hereditary risk factors? I had my father die of a heart attack at 58, so my threshold numbers are lower than for "normal" people.

Tell her to give you a year- adjust your diet and exercise routines. See what happens.

My MD did tell me that the calculators they use to determine when to start on statins depends on multiple factors, one of which is age. He said there's nothing you can do about your age increasing and so even keeping my cholesterol numbers stable at some point my age will tip the scales and I'll have to start on statins.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Rarely, high blood pressure can be caused by kidneys or other factors.Commonly high blood pressure is caused by loss of elasticity in artery walls. This condition is commonly caused by glycation and oxidation of artery walls. Glycation and oxidation are caused by carbohydrate ingestion.

Replace your carbohydrates with fat.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
I got some propranolol for back when I was in private practice and going to court a lot. Lowered my resting heart rate into the 40s from the mid-50s, but didn't affect my ability to get hard or exercise, and didn't make me dizzy at all. your mileage may vary, I guess.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
I got some propranolol for back when I was in private practice and going to court a lot. Lowered my resting heart rate into the 40s from the mid-50s, but didn't affect my ability to get hard or exercise, and didn't make me dizzy at all. your mileage may vary, I guess.

Geez, propranolol is a beta blocker? No wonder it gave me trouble. My tremor doctor tried me on propranolol. I took one dose and told her to forget it. I couldn't take two steps without stopping for a breath. If I had known, I wouldn't have taken the first dose.

My wife's opthalmologist prescribed an eye drop beta blocker, only we didn't know it was a beta blocker. She took that crap for a few days before dropping it. Same side effects. She dropped the opthalmologist shortly afterward. Turns out the opthalmologist was actually an optomitrist working under an opthalmologist, and we didn't know it.

P.S. Before taking her beta blocker my wife had occasion to get an EKG. It showed no abnormalities. After taking the beta blocker, a few weeks later, she had another occasion to get an EKG. The result was a diagnosis of heart murmur. It's permanent. It's the kind of heart murmur where one ventricle has no electrical impulse, and feeds from the other ventricle's impulse.

It sucks.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019
Switched doctors and she wants to put me on beta blockers.

my bp is between high 120s-140/70s-90s

I get nervous at the dr and threw a 150 at my appointment. She’s acting like it’s the end of the world.

anyone on them? Does it affect exercise (surfing)?

has it had a positive or negative effect on your health/quality of life?

what about beer? Lol
can make it hard for u to get an erection. no joke. look it up.

but otherwise, that's what u get for spending the first 2/3 of ur life over eating +/- smoking

Last edited:

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Geez thanks for the info

120/70 this morning no meds

there’s many causes for high bp.

Reactions: sushipop

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
1 measurement doesn't constitute a diagnosis of hypertension. Did you drink 2+ coffees? Have a blitz of Red Bulls the day before? Popped a pack of energy pills? What was your pulse rate you said 60ish resting? Family history? Other medical problems? Nervous at the doctor is often discussed but "white coat hypertension" isn't just a blanket excuse/diagnosis. https://www.google.com/search?q=white+coat+hypertension&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS874US874&oq=white+coat+hypertension&aqs=chrome..69i57.3686j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Thanks doc. I’ve been reducing coffee, down to 3 cups in the morning per the line on the maker and my grinder. Changed my diet radically - back to 205ish from low 220s, stopped drinking so frequently - will probably have some beers on the holidays but that’s the extent of it. BP looking better overall without meds.

I don’t remember my pulse at the time of the dr visit but it was elevated, higher than 60’s