Mexican cartels seize the avocado industry...

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
They've been probably off the tree for a while before they hit the shelves.

The only reason I know is because I have avo trees #humblebrag

Once picked it takes a week plus for them to become edable but once ripe they'll rot in like two days.

TIming is everything.

Refrigerate them. I do. They last way longer than two days; easily a week.

And did the Mexican cartels seize the alcohol industry? I'm a bit confused.

Reactions: dunnder

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
With the help of the DEA, and other US agencies, Colombia overcame a similar problem. Escobar and his ilk were assassinating their enemies, cops, politicians, judges. The country was on the verge of collapse. No longer. Mexico needs to cooperate with the US, not act like they can fix it. Mexico is too corrupt, and too susceptible to bribery.
The alphabet soup people have been here since the 80’s. What would you have them do differently now? Military advisors too. The Mexican military wasn’t spraying paraquat because they thought it was a good idea. And they weren’t paying for it either. The intelligence was gathered by the US and passed on and the operations took place under US “supervision”. In the 70’s.

It still comes down to what is the acceptable level of colateral damage.

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
The alphabet soup people have been here since the 80’s. What would you have them do differently now? Military advisors too. The Mexican military wasn’t spraying paraquat because they thought it was a good idea. And they weren’t paying for it either. The intelligence was gathered by the US and passed on and the operations took place under US “supervision”. In the 70’s.

It still comes down to what is the acceptable level of colateral damage.
I think the alphabet guys there didn't have the support they needed, either from the US or Mexican government. At this point, prior paraquat spraying and weed interdiction and the like is going to do nothing. The cartels have to be taken down. Forget their product; get them.

Given how well armed and dangerous the cartels are, the only solution is a military one. It would be nice if the Mexican government could/would do it, but I'm afraid the corruption runs too deep. It is going to take a concerted effort by both the US and Mexico, and the support of the Mexican people. To hear the Mexican government talk about not wanting our help is a huge red flag. They have conceded defeat to the cartels at this point, and act like we want to occupy and rule their country. Pathetic. I guess the bribe money is too lucrative, because the US has no such objective.

The Colombian government and people wanted their country back, made sacrifices, and cooperated with us. While they still have some issues with police corruption, etc., they basically did get their country--and lives-back, with our help.

It can happen in Mexico, but it is going to be tougher because the cartels are fragmented and really dangerous. I really hope it can get fixed because Mexico is such an amazing country.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I think the alphabet guys there didn't have the support they needed, either from the US or Mexican government. At this point, prior paraquat spraying and weed interdiction and the like is going to do nothing. The cartels have to be taken down. Forget their product; get them.

Given how well armed and dangerous the cartels are, the only solution is a military one. It would be nice if the Mexican government could/would do it, but I'm afraid the corruption runs too deep. It is going to take a concerted effort by both the US and Mexico, and the support of the Mexican people. To hear the Mexican government talk about not wanting our help is a huge red flag. They have conceded defeat to the cartels at this point, and act like we want to occupy and rule their country. Pathetic. I guess the bribe money is too lucrative, because the US has no such objective.

The Colombian government and people wanted their country back, made sacrifices, and cooperated with us. While they still have some issues with police corruption, etc., they basically did get their country--and lives-back, with our help.

It can happen in Mexico, but it is going to be tougher because the cartels are fragmented and really dangerous. I really hope it can get fixed because Mexico is such an amazing country.
The US has a long history of bringing: democracy, freedom, stability, whatever catchphrase to other countries, especially Latin America.
It has never come without a price for those we save. Latin America knows this as much as the other recipients. Thinking or expecting them to trust us is naive.

ps especially with this administration, which clearly states, America First.

Reactions: 20W-50 and blood

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
I boozed hard the last two years. Working away from your family for seven months, it's easy. Epic hang overs, felt like sh!t all the time. I allow myself four beers a week now total, no hard alcohol unless it's a freezing cold night, then I'll take a shot of whiskey to fall asleep and stay warm.

But the weed... whoo boy, that stuff I like.

Reactions: dunnder

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
I boozed hard the last two years. Working away from your family for seven months, it's easy. Epic hang overs, felt like sh!t all the time. I allow myself four beers a week now total, no hard alcohol unless it's a freezing cold night, then I'll take a shot of whiskey to fall asleep and stay warm.

But the weed... whoo boy, that stuff I like.
Funny...I drink...probably a few extra. However, each day/morning/whatever....I WANT and am READY to go at life. Herb? All I want to do is toke more.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Funny...I drink...probably a few extra. However, each day/morning/whatever....I WANT and am READY to go at life. Herb? All I want to do is toke more.
Yeah, that's why I think there's never a one size fits all approach, just generalizations. There is always an outlier. If I drank like you I'd be useless, same if you smoked like me. People know what's good for them and what isn't, but addiction can keep you from making the positive changes you need to operate at your highest level.

Reactions: Ifallalot and afoaf

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah, that's why I think there's never a one size fits all approach, just generalizations. There is always an outlier. If I drank like you I'd be useless, same if you smoked like me. People know what's good for them and what isn't, but addiction can keep you from making the positive changes you need to operate at your highest level.
I came up in the same hood as 20w albeit 30 (or more) years before him. As a high school rite of passage your goal was to put down and hold down a gallon of Red Mountain between 2 of you in your freshman year. No barfing putos. Sophomore year, if not before, was a hit of sunshine at Neff Park. Hey 20w, am I close here? You know I am.

He is too young to remember the golden days of youth in our hometown. La Mierda speedballs: Seconal and white crosses.

If you had to smoke dirt weed it meant you were too stupid to hitchhike to Laguna. Or too cheap to buy it from someone who did.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Growing up on Oahu, not sure if I smoked Mexican weed. I didn't really smoke at all as a youngster, cause trying that Hawaiian crip just paralyzed you. And I didn't want to be that out of it when I had to try and stay alert and alive at parties. Then, got planty of homegrown CA goods in IV during the 2nd half of college.

Da kine flower makes me too horny, and I start losing it. Probably get the spank it volume up to Auto-levels if the wifey can't keep up. Booze = limpy biscuit.

Viva la Mexico!

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
My dad is pushing 91. He still has a couple of cocktails every day and when I was a kid he was smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. The daily ritual back then was to take a ride into town in his El Camino after dinner to the Country Cousin liquor store so he could buy a pack of smokes. Then one day, he just quit. Cold Turkey. Put the smokes down and never touched them again. My grandma made it to 96 and regularly enjoyed her Jim Beam daily.

Diversity. Some people just seem to have a weaker genetic circuit board than others. We all are programmed to be on this "Equal" Look at Keith Richards.
I came up in the same hood as 20w albeit 30 (or more) years before him. As a high school rite of passage your goal was to put down and hold down a gallon of Red Mountain between 2 of you in your freshman year. No barfing putos. Sophomore year, if not before, was a hit of sunshine at Neff Park. Hey 20w, am I close here? You know I am.

He is too young to remember the golden days of youth in our hometown. La Mierda speedballs: Seconal and white crosses.

If you had to smoke dirt weed it meant you were too stupid to hitchhike to Laguna. Or too cheap to buy it from someone who did.
Dude,

They are actively seizing the US legal marijuana market as we speak. Too many dollars in too much competition. We have all seen the old Godfather movies. Making a proposition you can't refuse.

My brother is in the local ag business. Our family has been in the business since the 1850's. You hear sh!t when your nose is to the wall every day.

And some of the best smoke I remember was true, Columbian Gold. And Thai sticks...Bales of them dumped offshore from Davenport. Opiated thai sticks.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Still happening today. Friends with s local CHP officer. He owns the whole Montery county coast down to south of Gorda. One guy.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site

still remember the first day of hs...took it as a badge of honor that first day, first break, not even two minutes in, some senior dirtbag hit us up with the freebies so we knew and would spread the good word who had the goods.

ogro got no lies in this matter