Rusty - Shiv, Hatchet, 419Fish

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Yes I just got the email = $125 off, Rusty is going to bankrupt me!

Building a Hatchet right now, yikes.

And yeah so far the Rooster is nice, have yet to have the wave(s) I want for the full test drive, but a couple of days ago was a decent day and really could feel the Venturi effect on a ride, it seemed like I could feel the low pressure grumble working, it was cool.

Reactions: Aruka

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
whats the ventura effect feel like? herd great tings bout rooster

To me on a the wave I mentioned, it felt like the board had compressed against the water (like the water in the channel area had become thinner than the surrounding area or vs. my standard boards) and it seemed to have a muscle car like noise, but there was no audible noise, but just kind of had this roar. Sounds odd I know = no noise but it was a sensation, a very unique feeling that kind of said "Venturi Effect at Work." Has not happened on all the waves I've had on the Rooster, it seemed to appear right as I was getting to the open face and accelerating as I dropped in from the top after my bottom turn: front side. And it was the best/cleanest wave of the day I had = 5'. Can't wait to get some quality/consistent surf with it!

And I'm still working through my fins, that day I was riding as a tri-fin using Futures Stamps.

Reactions: Havoc

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
I just want to, again, sing the praises of the Rusty Zeppelin. Just had a great session on it today and man can this board really drive fast down the line: quad set up is great! I got some vid but can't seem to post it...surf shop across the street from the break has a live youtube cam and when you get home you can rewind and with patience you can film some of the waves from your session. But anyway board rocks! 6'4" stock dims

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
SO I placed an online order so I can get the 125 off but I want to talk to a shaper before they get started. I clicked the "consult a shaper" link but it doesn't seem to link to my order. Can anyone that's ordered chime in on the process?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I think I emailed them before i put my order in and we went back and forth a bit and then I put the order in and referenced the file we had decided on in the comments box. I'd email them with your order # and see if they respond or you could call them. Probably a busy week.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Zero of their stock dims would work for me, as they go uber thin thickness.
For example, on the 419fish I'd want a 5'10"-6'0" for my height (6'3"), but the
volume is 33-34L, which isn't close to what I'd want. I know you can go custom
and pump up the thickness, but it makes it hard to find used Rusty boards that
would work for me.
Got a couple waves at a mellow reef break on my buddys 5' 4" Fish. I had never ridden a board that small, and almost flubbed it when I popped up and my back foot didnt land on the tail. Kinda stayed in the pushup position until I fonal;ly planted my foot and got a decent ride with some turns.

Still, a 5' 4" (doesnt have the volume on it and he doesnt know) is way too small for my 5' 11" 190lbs I'd say. Really want to try a 419 Fish but haven't the slightest how to size it..??.. Low 30's volume scares me, but maybe I just havent tried it on the right type of board.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Really wanted to pull the trigger on a Hatchet, but couldn't do it.

Locally there's a guy doing flat decks recently, so I ordered a Super Fling shape with a flat deck and boxy rails.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
SO I placed an online order so I can get the 125 off but I want to talk to a shaper before they get started. I clicked the "consult a shaper" link but it doesn't seem to link to my order. Can anyone that's ordered chime in on the process?
I recently ordered two boards online and the process that I went through for the first board was an email from Rusty himself confirming dims and he asked that I call him to discuss, no shxt! I was shocked that Rusty made himself available to discuss and blown away! Of course the email went to my junk folder so I missed being able to talk to him.

Then the follow up happened with Royce email and phone to finalize if I agreed with the dims. He told me that Rusty wants a final confirmation from the customer before starting the shaping process.

So check your junk folder and I am sure you will hear from them!

Experience was great for me and might be queuing up the Hatchet with the Black Friday sale...

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
damn this Rusty sale makes me wanna order a new SD to replace my previous custom I ordered a tad too thick.
SD or Shiv???

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I'm 180 lbs and my normal shortboard thickness is 2.45. I think I ordered my last SD >2.5

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Normal 2 7/16 is basically 2.19-2.18 flat deck from Rusty. I would just be careful.
It's hard for people to comprehend just how much foam is carried out to the rails with a flat deck. If you can't feel one up in the shop prior to ordering, listen to what people are saying here and of course trust what Rusty recommends.

Reactions: tedshred5