Beta blockers?

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Switched doctors and she wants to put me on beta blockers.

my bp is between high 120s-140/70s-90s

I get nervous at the dr and threw a 150 at my appointment. She’s acting like it’s the end of the world.

anyone on them? Does it affect exercise (surfing)?

has it had a positive or negative effect on your health/quality of life?

what about beer? Lol

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Ps resting heart rate in the high 60s

at the doctor was closer to 100

I just get nervous at the doctor

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Also if you're asking about beer you're drinking too much of it IMO. Worthless calories, nothing good about it.

How overweight are you?

How often do you exercise?

Reactions: Havoc

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I did tell her, but to me she felt dismissive of it. she's older, old school dr.

I'm happy with my weight - 6'1, 210. surf on average 4 days a week 2-3hrs, thats all my exercise nowadays besides walking a couple miles each day

the beer? a pint of craft a couple times a week.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
How much of that is body fat?

Do ice baths and saunas and see what that does to your lab results.

Ice baths change everything if you start soon enough.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I don't know how much is body fat.

I'm not in the best possible health, but I am also not in poor health. I'm just not in a rush to take a medication.

I had my second kid in 2018 and a lot of stress and bad diet came with it. I've changed my diet and have gone back to a weight that I am comfortable with, and my blood pressure has improved without meds.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009

I get nervous at the dr and threw a 150 at my appointment. She’s acting like it’s the end of the world.

what about beer? Lol
Beta blockers suck rocks. My doctor put me on them after my bout with WPW heart arrhythmia. I took one pill and stopped. The dizziness and sedation were overwhelming, and I couldn't perform even minor tasks without running out of breath. My wife had the same experience when, unbeknownst to her, her doctor placed her on a beta blocker eye med.

My advice is to steer clear at all cost.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Beta blockers suck rocks. My doctor put me on them after my bout with WPW heart arrhythmia. I took one pill and stopped. The dizziness and sedation were overwhelming, and I couldn't perform even minor tasks without running out of breath. My wife had the same experience when, unbeknownst to her, her doctor placed her on a beta blocker eye med.

My advice is to steer clear at all cost.
thank you!

My other doctor had me try clonidine, which I just looked up is an Alpha-2-Agonist, and I felt similar to your description. Told him it was poison and am not taking it.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
These doctors just want to throw meds at you. I did have a bad year or so that I did need to see the doctor, but I think I'm just gonna stop going.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Yeah, build health.

Make hey while the sun is shining.

Two drinks a day is acceptable if you are active and eating good food and doing cold and heat exposure.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I’m not a Dr, so take this FWIW. Clonidine is not a normal thing to prescribe for high BP right off the bat. Especially for a BP that is really considered borderline, like yours. It’s usually utilized further down the road for people who aren’t responding to other BP lowering agents. Echoing previous comments, If your BP is below 140 on the regular, I would work on other things before taking a beta blocker or any other drug. Beta blockers have a significant side effect profile, including the inability to get a chubby. So, if you’re trying to beat off LESS, I WOULD take them. There are times when taking medication is the best solution, but not right off the bat for a 40 y/o and there are other things you could take that are less nasty than beta blockers. Also, it doesn’t hurt to shop around for a good doctor who will work with you on taking a less Rx heavy approach or who is more current on their prescribing recommendations.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Thanks. Yeah she called me the next day scolding me about my cholesterol. I dropped 15 off my triglycerides and added 10 to my hdl in six months and is talking about medications. (95/56) she’s very old and old school. She was like I’m not listening to you this is what the book says you will take these meds

I’m looking for a new doctor

this all happened because my last doctor who was great, went back to being a hospitalist full time

edit - these numbers are not fasting. I hate this lady lol

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

what about beer? Lol

I got diagnosed with a Myocardial Bridge and was put on low dose beta blocker 3.125mg Carvedilol. I don't notice it at all. I was instructed to double the dose when I exercise. I found when I do that my symptoms (chest tightness) take longer to dissipate. I have to talk to the cardiologist about that next visit.

Beer and alcohol is not good. For my condition the beta blocker is meant to slow the heart beat. Anything that speeds up the heart beat is counter productive- alcohol, cannabis, caffeine. Exercise too, but you can't really do without that. In fact, my medication is to control the symptoms when I exercise.

Have you started the therapy? What is your med and dose?

ps I was able to boost my good cholesterol which offset my bad cholesterol by taking flaxseed oil and fish oil supplements. Try it.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I'm going to get a second opinion. BP at its worst is 140/90, diet is way better, saw some improvements in 6 months with cholesterol and BP. doctor just seems eager to medicate. I'm not a fan.