I Diddin do Nuffins

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Not all mentally ill are schizophrenic and need to be institutionalized.

Not all homeless are mentally ill.

There's quarter of a million homeless in California alone.

Seems unrealistic that they are all mentally ill.

Why wouldn't you rather put them on welfare and let them smoke ciggies and watch TV all day than bathe you in dhiarhea?
No, a lot are also drug addicts that are way too far beyond the bend.

I have spent a lot of time in downtown LA, especially before it was gentrified. Not to mention growing up near Santa Monica, which has always been a homeless gathering area (thanks Tom Hayden!). Yeah, most of the homeless are pretty f*cked up in the head.

There are plenty of people on welfare already doing nothing but smoking and watching TV. It's not just the retired who are watching daytime TV.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Not even close to the scale of the CA homeless problem.

They also erradicated poverty.

Coincidence?
How do you eradicate poverty and have an expanding homeless population?

Isn't that a little bit of a contradiction/overstatement?

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
The point is that attempting to solve such a complex problem with the binary thinking is not possible.

Not everybody is homeless by choice
Not every homeless person is crazy
Not every mentally ill person needs institutionalizing
Not all homeless people are addicts
Not every homeless person is lazy

Again, seems like the countries with large safety nets who erradicated poverty have a way smaller homeless problem.

Instead of calling for the final solution, maybe we should look at the realistic solutions that actually work.

Like Autoprax said, sticks alone without the carrots are not going to fix this.

And like the illegal immigration problem, we keep looking at the effects rather than the source of the problem.

Because FEELZ

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Which is ironic because the only thing you could pretty much ever do (besides being a barista) with a degree in gender studies, sociology, philosophy, anthropology, etc. is get a graduate degree in same field and teach. I am guessing less that 1% of people in those majors go that route. College is an investment and majoring in something like that is pretty much the equivalent of investing in an emu farm.
I went to UC Santa Cruz for my undergrad. During orientation, the speaker bragged about UCSC and Berkeley produce the most PhDs of all the UCs and Cal States. Even then I remember thinking, "Is that because they couldn't find work with a bachelors?". Now it's clear that it was exactly that, given the choose-your-own-adventure degrees that so many of my colleagues received.

What does create a problem, though, is companies in those cities do still need to fill entry-level positions but where do those entry-level people live? It's not as if they are making more than $25/hour out of the gate from college.
Agreed, this is a real issue. Especially when there are no less expensive options within a reasonable commuting distance. Housing policy and the cost of building in California, combined with very high desirability, greatly add to that problem. Which makes choosing a relevant career path that much more important, or be willing to live somewhere less expensive while you cut your teeth.

Reactions: Kento

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I went to UC Santa Cruz for my undergrad. During orientation, the speaker bragged about UCSC and Berkeley produce the most PhDs of all the UCs and Cal States. Even then I remember thinking, "Is that because they couldn't find work with a bachelors?". Now it's clear that it was exactly that, given the choose-your-own-adventure degrees that so many of my colleagues received.

Agreed, this is a real issue. Especially when there are no less expensive options within a reasonable commuting distance. Housing policy and the cost of building in California, combined with very high desirability, greatly add to that problem. Which makes choosing a relevant career path that much more important, or be willing to live somewhere less expensive while you cut your teeth.
Relocate them to red states for a six year tour.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
Why wouldn't you rather put them on welfare and let them smoke ciggies and watch TV all day than bathe you in dhiarhea?
Because they are mentally ill & need to be institutionalized
A person capable of throwing hot diarrhea on another human being isn't capable of sitting on a couch smoking ciggies watching tv all day without a lock on the door

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

Yeah, I'd imagine the majority of those PhDs were not in the engineering field. I like that - the whole choose-your-own-adventure degree. I'm using that one.

That was one of the many nice things about USC. With the alumni network and strong career center, you have to be the dumbest, laziest person on Earth to not get a job within a month or two of receiving your bachelors degree.

What's also crushing areas like San Francisco is that there are very few young families that can afford to live there so schools are suffering. You want a good school district and the situation in SF doesn't appear to be very amenable to that lately. Not to mention that with the houses stacked on top of each other without much in way of a backyard, horrible place to raise a family IMHO. If kids can't readily play outside, that's a major bummer to say the least. Like dogs, they need to expend energy every day and (very) preferably outside.

San Clemente also needs to really get their act together with the homeless.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Because they are mentally ill & need to be institutionalized
A person capable of throwing hot diarrhea on another human being isn't capable of sitting on a couch smoking ciggies watching tv all day without a lock on the door
All homeless are mentally ill and need to be institutionalized?

230,000 people in California all need to be put away in mental institutions?

You are especially dumb/fascist today.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Bullshit.

You claimed that we have a homeless problem because we are too nice to the homeless people.

I proved that that's not the case because other developed nations have a much larger welfare system and are much nicer to the homeless and don't have a homeless problem we have.

Then you resorted to insults.

Where's the strawman?

Not even touching your theory that America has a homeless problem because Americans don't beat their children enough.
You claimed that we have a homeless problem because we are too nice to the homeless people.

I proved that that's not the case because other developed nations have a much larger welfare system and are much nicer to the homeless and don't have a homeless problem we have.

Then you resorted to insults.

Where's the strawman?

Not even touching your theory that America has a homeless problem because Americans don't beat their children enough.
Evidence?

Just because you're not mentally ill doesn't mean you're homeless because you're lazy.

Holy sh!t, talking about strawman.
have a nice day Fecal. Debating with you is pointless; you might as well be GromsDad with your inability do comprehend and your insistence on prattling on

Reactions: GWS_2

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
have a nice day Fecal. Debating with you is pointless; you might as well be GromsDad with your inability do comprehend and your insistence on prattling on
This.

I'm going with "the list."

He can make up my positions for me and argue with himself and just leave me out of it. Win win.

• Haha
Reactions: FecalFace