11,000 climate scientist: The earth faces a "climate emergency"

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Ever witnessed a disaster zone or Third World poverty up close? Legit question.
What do either of those have to do with supposed AGW?

They've lived those conditions and dealt with disasters long before the Industrial Revolution even started.

Yet now AGW is responsible for them?

If AGW is actually legit, the 3rd world is now the biggest contributor to their supposedly growing enviro-problems. Maybe we should be blaming the UN/IPCC for enabling the rapid growth of the 3rd world and their enormous pollution/CO2 emissions now?

If we just kept our manufacturing at home 25-30 years ago, with our stricter enviro-regs, we would've kept emissions much lower globally than todays unrestricted spewing by the 3rd world. Ya, we'd pay more for them, and cell phones (and all things fad gadget) would cost $1000-$1500+ a pop, but wouldn't that be worth it to "save the planet"?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ifallalot

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Didn't realize you considered Putin and Surfdog smarter than you, whatever.
But there are significantly more who consider it big trouble.
Dumb people have hard choices.
The earth will survive climate change fine and dandy.

It's the humans that will have to adapt to any changes in climate.

Sea levels have been 100's of feet higher in earth's past. Deserts had been tropical rain forests in earths past.

We've yet to see any real increase in sea level rise rates over the last 100-200 years. When does it start?

Ice is melting. But it refreezes back each winter. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

We are STILL trending out of the last Ice Age, so yes the planet is still warming a bit each decade/century. Nothing can stop that.

And if it is supposedly accelerating due to humans CO2 emissions, we need the WHOLE WORLD to reduce it, including the booming 3rd world, if the supposed outcomes are so dire as to be "the most existential threat to mankind on earth" as claimed by the Green Apostles of Doom.

None of the Green Apostles seem to care about the 1000's of NEW coal fired power plants planned and being built by China and India thru-out Asia and Africa the next 20-30 years. Where's all the protests over that "catastrophe"?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
There are a lot of people smarter than me who say a warmer planet would be a net benefit.
I think if you visited Australia right now you might think differently.
Warmer and drier was one of the main AGW predictions. Increased bushfire risk and longer seasons. More extreme and catastrophic bushfire days.
Still 3 weeks out from summer and most the country within a hundred miles from me, supposedly in sub-tropical areas with high rainfall, has been on fire for months.

Hundreds of homes destroyed, tens of thousand of hectares burnt out, ecosystems destroyed. Worst drought in memory less than 20 years since the last worst drought in memory.

Nothing to see here, she'll be right?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Ever witnessed a disaster zone or Third World poverty up close? Legit question.
Every day for the last 29 years of my life. Legitimate answer.

Nobody that I witnessed in a disaster zone (3 years in Mexico City) or in abject poverty (24 years in Barrio Viejo and El Roble, Gro.), was whining about their situation.

Why are you?

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Every day for the last 29 years of my life. Legitimate answer.

Nobody that I witnessed in a disaster zone (3 years in Mexico City) or in abject poverty (24 years in Barrio Viejo and El Roble, Gro.), was whining about their situation.

Why are you?
“Nobody”?

You spoke to 21 million people in Mexico City and nobody was “whining”?

Wow, you get around.

Oct 5, 2019

"The Trump administration...makes it cheaper for some of the wealthiest communities in the country to take sand from protected ecosystems to improve their beaches [and] replenish their beachfronts, which are increasingly under threat from more frequent and intense storms, rising seas and other effects of climate change."

All the while claiming that climate change is a hoax....

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
When people move into swampland they tend to build drainage, and live on the created dry land. When people move into arid areas they establish fire departments which suppress the fires which naturally sweep through regularly. The process results in brush overgrowth. Then when fires start anyway, the fires become huge infernos.

To call these scenarios "global warming" is an o-p-i-n-i-o-n, and the opinion is total bullshit.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Did you know the mid Atlantic is sinking? Combined with sea level rise, its an issue. Norfolk has incorporated managed retreat in their general plan. Certain areas are so flood prone they are designated as retreat areas. You can no longer upgrade your home if it requires permits. If someone buys your home, same conditions apply. You can walk away and purchase property in higher designated areas that give you 3 times development rights. If that lot allowed a 2,000 SF home, you can build 6,000 SF. Every Nor'Easter high tide, areas are under 3 feet of water.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Did you know the mid Atlantic is sinking? Combined with sea level rise, its an issue. Norfolk has incorporated managed retreat in their general plan. Certain areas are so flood prone they are designated as retreat areas. You can no longer upgrade your home if it requires permits. If someone buys your home, same conditions apply. You can walk away and purchase property in higher designated areas that give you 3 times development rights. If that lot allowed a 2,000 SF home, you can build 6,000 SF. Every Nor'Easter high tide, areas are under 3 feet of water.

Tell me, if a coastal area is pumping ground water out so fast that it causes the shoreline to sink ......And, as you say, sea level is rising at an alarming rate, how can you use tidal gauges to tell how much of the apparent sea level rise is actually subsidence?

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
When people move into swampland they tend to build drainage, and live on the created dry land. When people move into arid areas they establish fire departments which suppress the fires which naturally sweep through regularly. The process results in brush overgrowth. Then when fires start anyway, the fires become huge infernos.

To call these scenarios "global warming" is an o-p-i-n-i-o-n, and the opinion is total bullshit.
Such a twisted web we weave. o_O

Reactions: jomo

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
What I want to know is why Greta is in CA? Touring the solar installations in the Mojave desert or the wiind farms in Altamont? Methinks she shoud head several thousand miles west, where her protestations might do more good.

• Love

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
What I want to know is why Greta is in CA? Touring the solar installations in the Mojave desert or the wiind farms in Altamont? Methinks she shoud head several thousand miles west, where her protestations might do more good.

Why is she not in school?

Oct 5, 2019
"What I want to know is why Greta is in CA? Touring the solar installations in the Mojave desert or the wiind farms in Altamont? Methinks she shoud head several thousand miles west, where her protestations might do more good."

You're suggesting a single individual can have any effect on a country ruled by an iron fisted authoritarian regime? Where information is tightly controlled and corruption runs from top to bottom in the culture? That's a better use of her time and energy than trying to influence citizens of a free and wealthy society? Have you given any thought to your post?