foiling podcasts

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Who here has the MFC again? Let's hear another long term review. The current progression project with MFC owner was a fun listen today.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Who here has the MFC again? Let's hear another long term review. The current progression project with MFC owner was a fun listen today.
yeh i quite enjoyed this episode, i'd really like to ride a 1075 hydros.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
I have the Hydros 1250 and 1400. Out of commission currently due to a massive rock strike that broke the fuse connector on my mast. But I digress.

I've been riding the new to me Signature Albatross 175 and Stealth 175 the last couple of days in the micro conditions and they have reminded me of one thing in both sessions...I should be on the Hydros. The Signature gear is fantastic and exactly what I'm looking for in hydrofoil wings, hi performance and a lot of room to grow on. The hydros though is just easy, built in lift on takeoff, seemingly limitless speed and absolute control. I real joy to ride, but easy to get what I'm starting to call "foil fatigue." The wing is so easy it gets repetitive and the only thing left is double dipping (which I'm still terrible at) or trying a new wing (which I'm hooked on).

As for the difference between the 1250 and the 1400, the 1400 hundred is just bigger (a little slower but easier to pump).

I was missing the instant lift of the Hydros and thus the direct line into pumping. The Signature gear needs backfoot pressure to lift, great for fast waves and late takeoffs, not so good for the most gutless slop.

I really liked this episode except for the fact that we won't be seeing any new surf wings from MFC until next winter :cautious:

Last edited:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I thought it was interesting to hear the talk about solid carbon and how bulletproof the mast is.

Also, foiltheworld said something similar regarding the takuma lol foil.

Is the erbb just harder on gear than everyone else?

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
I thought it was interesting to hear the talk about solid carbon and how bulletproof the mast is.

Also, foiltheworld said something similar regarding the takuma lol foil.

Is the erbb just harder on gear than everyone else?
No, they’re just selling shît/sucking the corporate teat so nothing is ever negative or it’s the users fault as the mfc guy pointed to in one part of the interview that griped me.
I’d buy an mfc front wing and graft it on something else if I had the money like the doc did with his Armstrong/mfc combo

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I got this link off @foiltheworld in his stories I think.

In that review of the MFC the guy mentions he broke the mast, and other people have broken the mast. Sounds like an issue to me.

Clamsmasha has cracked a GL wing. To make them lighter, they're not as bulletproof as they were before?

That link above also has a page on MFC vs Armstrong vs Axis. Gonna read that next.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
new kdmaui interview. good stuff about rocker shims. he mentioned how concaves and sharp edges catch. Maurice Cole and GG would beg to differ.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
started on the James Casey episode. interesting how he says trading off in downwinders, the axis 900 was the slowest b/c of its foil.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Is the 900 thick on the profile? The takuma isn’t that skinny, maybe ask him what he meant on Instagram?

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Is the 900 thick on the profile? The takuma isn’t that skinny, maybe ask him what he meant on Instagram?
No, not thick. I'll take a pic when I can. My first thought was that it could've been a rider size issue. The 900 is only 1200-something cm^2. But I think Erik asked about that, and James said it was a foil issue. Either way, im not bothered enough about it to ask. But still interesting story.

Even though I'm the heaviest I've been (68 kg), it's still plenty of wing for me.

Finished the Adam Bennett's episode. Didn't know who he was except a foiling DJ. Interesting to know his surfing background. He's mates w wilko and Taj. Summed up how I feel about crowds perfectly. And small waves. Which is why I took up foiling.