Good Sunglasses Suggestions?

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
I usually wear Electric shades but man they hurt your nose after a few hours. Too damn heavy.

Whatz'a good light pair with good quality for under $300?

They also need to look classy and can be worn with professional attire. Doesn't have to be specifically a surf brand.

Tanks BFH

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I used to always buy high end sunglasses. It used to be worth it between the better quality and the good warranty if you had a problem. After having warranty problems with my last good pair I stumbled on a rack at the local tackle store of Calcutta sunglasses. You can't beat these things for the money. Super light. At $30 a pair they are practically disposable.

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
There's a good reason to get higher end shades - much better clarity in the lens and by going with a reputable brand you know they're UV safe for your eyes.

Ray bans are always classic. Spy is good as well. My RAEN lenses started separating after a few years - junk.

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
have a pair of oakley turbines that i fucked the lens on, replaced them with the prizm polarized lenses ($100). they look good and are comfortable, vision is nice in the lenses. have had these frames a bit over 2 years now. had the hijinx from them for about 7 years, ended up losing them somewhere along the way. best advice would be to buy what you like. i've been wearing oakleys for many years and have been satisfied, your results may vary. luxottica owns a whole bunch of these companies, the difference between most is minimal. mostly it's marketing hype like much of the nonsense out there today.

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
Find something you like on the rack at CVS for $20 or less.

Who in the hell would spend $300 for non-prescription sunglasses? Will you be drinking White Claw while wearing them?

CVS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
luxottica owns a whole bunch of these companies, the difference between most is minimal. mostly it's marketing hype like much of the nonsense out there today.
While Luxottica indeed makes many of the brands there is a major difference in lens quality and frames they produce.

They will make glasses as good as the brand is willing to pay them to make.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Find something you like on the rack at CVS for $20 or less.

Who in the hell would spend $300 for non-prescription sunglasses? Will you be drinking White Claw while wearing them?

Clarity, quality of lens, quality of frame.

Your eyes have already sustained plenty of damage from surfing. It's wise to take care of them.