Your Go To Boars

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
contemplating a ghost r a driver for better waves
Very, very different boards, unless Driver 2.0 has a completely reconfigured rocker.

Ghost: low nose rocker; generous and continuous tail rocker.
Driver: generous nose rocker, with characteristic Mayhem flip; less tail rocker.

You probably know this already, so apologies if I sound smart-arsey.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Very, very different boards, unless Driver 2.0 has a completely reconfigured rocker.

Driver: generous nose rocker, with characteristic Mayhem flip; less tail rocker.

I had the original driver and it was one of those boards that just never worked for me. Alot of my friends loved that design and swore by it but it was such a dog for me. Maybe because I don't surf heavily off the backfoot. The Lost SDII was money for me though for so many years before the drivers surfaced. Than I decided to give Pyzel a go and the ghost was instant magic for me from the first wave. I'd be interested in trying a driver 2.0 since it sounds like it is wider up front now than the original with less flip. Haven't seen one in person, I'd be interested in how the foam is distributed vs the ghost where quite a bit is under chest.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
098E2EF9-3CAE-4C4F-9B67-4EE5940208DF.jpeg
Besides the Moonfish on order. This is my go to board for the coming North Shore season. It’s the Tokoro 4X. 6’0 x 20 x 2 3/4. 33L. The 4X is a wider nosed, less entry rockered design based off the 4VC. I also have a 6’2, 6’3. And a 6’7 that’s a 4VC.

The Slater Design Tokoro coming soon will be the 4VC. But they are renaming it the Houdini in the SD line. The 4VC is one of the most successful designs in the Triple Crown history. It works well for the average surfer too. But it needs a good wave to light up.

Jan 18, 2014

Did you make a bunch of changes to one and that's why you have 2? Asking because I might order a buzzsaw for better waves since the one I have is short and wide.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah, sort of. I've dropped about 25lbs since July, so the 6'6" was starting to feel a bit corky. I really love this board though, the 6'4" feels perfect, and works great in the beach breaks I usually surf. The 2x4 may be something to consider, as a better wave option too?

Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

no this is a good pt. had a roundtail driver i shudve never sold. i can transition between the two different rockers.

Reactions: Maz

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
no this is a good pt. had a roundtail driver i shudve never sold. i can transition between the two different rockers.

Fwiw, here are some Driver observations of mine:

I had a stretched out Mini Driver, which I liked, but was too flat-rockered and fat-railed for our bigger, not perfect waves. Got the Ghost instead.

Checked out a friend's 5yo Driver. Looked almost needle-nosed, with low tail rocker.

Felt up a 6'2 squash Driver from last year. Sooo nice, and I was tempted.

What I mean is, the Driver seems to be getting more and more refined and modernised - in a good way. Edit: just read up on the 2.0, and it sounds very good. Would love to give one a go - in slightly thicker dims :)

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka
Feb 9, 2019
Small days to 4 ft : 5'10 waagstein slim bastard, 5'11 xtr vanguard
Daily to 4ft : 6'1 xtr roberts starchip, 6'1 haydenshapes untitled, 6'2 roberts epoxy meatcleaver
Outer banks to 6ft : 6'2 xtr roberts tormentor
Outer 6ft plus : 6'8 simon ando facedancer, 7ft mick grace pintail
Hollow days : 6'1 xtr tomo psyko

Reserves : 6'3 stretch thing, 6'4 stretch 2x4, 6'1 sci fi (these boards have their moments)
Im 195cm tall so board dimensions wont mean much to most.
I can check from the front yard so the dilemna of eps boards in hot/tempting cars doesnt normally apply.
Need something like a ghost/js shapes raging bull in the quiver, although Im pretty stoked on the meatcleaver and feel like I could tinker with dimensions to get the same kindnof result... covered nicely now in the other areas.
Fins are fcs stretch 2.0, futures roberts lrg and jordys, suprise find of the year captain fin archy lg fronts medium rear thruster.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
In summer mush, it was an OTR 5'9 Lost x MR Cali Twin.
Daily decent to head high waves OTR 6'1 Phantom.
When the waves turn on overhead + it's been an OTR 6'3 Ghost, but going to replace it with a slimmed down custom.
Come fall and winter I have 6'8 and 7'6 Rusty Blackbirds. This will be my first winter surfing the 7'6.

Just ordered a custom Ghost at 6'5, 19.88, 2 11/16 for pumping inside bar days at OBSF.

I also have a 6'3 Fever that doesn't see much action. It's a fine board, but I think I like volume forward, single to double concave style of board better. I started surfing again summer of 2018 after basically 12 years away. So I'm still trying to build a quiver. I'm also a transplant from Socal to Norcal, so I'm in the process of figuring out bigger waves. Also 37 y/old new dad, but stoked like when I was a 16 year old grom. This is the life story thread, right?

Last edited:

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
5'6 Hypto for last several years. Sold a bunch of other boards I had as they collected dust in the closet since I got the Hypto.

WCT fins if it's breaking hard, Kinetic P3s if it's softer. Going to try it as a twin plus trailer at some point.

Just bought a 6'0 Pyzel Ghost for when it's just too big for a 5'6.

Also have a copy of a Takayama Howard Mini with some tweaks which I use on smaller days or when I want to cruise. My 9'4 longboard has seen little use since getting the Mockayama.

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka